News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2018 Road Meets

Started by Brandon, September 21, 2017, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Never too early to start thinking about them.  :sombrero:

-Central Susquehanna Valley (PA) - April 21
-Fairbanks/Dalton Highway (AK) - Meet on May 29, Dalton Drive is May 30-31
-Louisiana (Shreveport) - March 17
-Aurora-Naperville, Illinois - May 19
-Southwest Missouri (Springfield) - July 6
-NE Ohio (Ashtabula/Mentor/Cleveland - Sept 29
-Catskills/Kingston - Oct 27
-Hoosier Heartland (Laffayette)  - Nov 10
Updating the OP with the list of proposed/planned meets --sso
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheHighwayMan3561

I'd like to see the La Crosse/Winona bridge meet happen. I'll let SSO take first dibs since it's his baby but I'll gladly step in if you don't want to.

I had an idea though for that one which I hadn't discussed yet which was making it a two-day with a day for Rochester material. I suppose that can also be post-meet if we don't feel there's enough but I have a few things in mind.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on September 21, 2017, 03:30:05 PM
Never too early to start thinking about them.  :sombrero:

I'm glad someone started this thread. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 22, 2017, 12:31:56 AM
I'd like to see the La Crosse/Winona bridge meet happen. I'll let SSO take first dibs since it's his baby but I'll gladly step in if you don't want to.

I had an idea though for that one which I hadn't discussed yet which was making it a two-day with a day for Rochester material. I suppose that can also be post-meet if we don't feel there's enough but I have a few things in mind.

When Scott first shared his idea about a La Crosse meet, I was very interested - and I still am. I actually have a friend who is in Rochester doing a seminary internship until next August. If this meet happens before next August, I could potentially include a visit with him. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Since I didn't get to make it to the Twin Cities meet, I'd be interested in anything in the general area of Minnesota/western Wisconsin. I could get my extended trip to visit North Dakota in during that trip.

I'm getting burned out on travel to the northeast, but I'm hoping to make it to Jason's Central Susquehanna Valley meet

Other areas for which I'd like to see meets are the south/southeast. Health issues precluded my attendance at the Mississippi meet back in the spring, unfortunately. I'd be very interested in anything in Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia or northern Florida. The midwest is also in large part unexplored territory for me so I'd be game for something in Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska or the Dakotas.

North Carolina used to be the meet capital of the Northern Hemisphere, and there is probably enough going on there that if someone wanted to host something, they could come up with an interesting tour. I recently drove US 52 through Winston-Salem and it looked like there was quite a bit happening there.

I will probably do something small focused on the Portsmouth, Ohio bypass project. I scouted it earlier this year but opted instead to do a western Kentucky meet. That would most likely be in late winter/early spring before they get too much farther along on the project. Preliminary plans are to eat at Fat Patty's in Ashland (again), drive the new Ironton-Russell bridge, then go up to Portsmouth and check out the bypass construction at two or three different spots.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

This may be the year for Fairbanks/Dalton Hwy.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on September 22, 2017, 07:02:47 PM

As far as I'm concerned, it is. Even if the only attendees are me and my better half. We're going to Alaska with or without anyone else.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on September 22, 2017, 07:26:54 PM

As far as I'm concerned, it is. Even if the only attendees are me and my better half. We're going to Alaska with or without anyone else.
So am I.

after 2020.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2017, 11:21:31 AM
I'd be very interested in anything in Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia or northern Florida. The midwest is also in large part unexplored territory for me so I'd be game for something in Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska or the Dakotas.

I am very interested in many of these areas as well. I recall a year or two ago someone (maybe David Backlin?) talked about hosting a NW Arkansas meet. I was hoping that would come to fruition. Arkansas is a state I've barely spent any time in, so if I have a reason to go there, I'd be happy. I also have a strong interest in exploring more of Louisiana, Georgia (Atlanta meet anyone?), Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, and the Dakotas. A few weeks ago when my husband and I were passing through Fargo on our vacation out west, I was telling him how I'd love for someone to host a meet in Fargo or Grand Forks. Heck... any city in North Dakota would be awesome. Sioux Falls SD would be cool too.

North Carolina used to be the meet capital of the Northern Hemisphere, and there is probably enough going on there that if someone wanted to host something, they could come up with an interesting tour.

That must have been a long time ago. I started attending meets in 2004 and don't really recall hearing about many North Carolina meets since then... unless they were announced on forums that I wasn't using. However, it's possible that I heard about North Carolina meets but I was at a point in my life financially where it would have been next to impossible for me to go to one.

I will probably do something small focused on the Portsmouth, Ohio bypass project.

I'm definitely still interested in this one!
-A.J. from Michigan

oscar

Another option, which could possibly be combined with Fairbanks/Dalton Hwy. (might be a stretch, though), is whatever celebrations are planned next summer for the extension of the Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk NT. (This in addition to the official ceremonies when the highway opens this November -- not exactly tourist-friendly timing, thus the post-opening summer 2018 events.)

I might actually go there next summer, if I can fly up to Inuvik and rent something at a non-ridiculous price to drive the rest of the way to Tuktoyaktuk.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

I'm considering trying to host a Louisiana meet in 2018. Stay tuned. Hopefully work will not mess me up like it did last time.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: oscar on September 23, 2017, 09:31:31 PM
Another option, which could possibly be combined with Fairbanks/Dalton Hwy. (might be a stretch, though), is whatever celebrations are planned next summer for the extension of the Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk NT. (This in addition to the official ceremonies when the highway opens this November -- not exactly tourist-friendly timing, thus the post-opening summer 2018 events.)

I might actually go there next summer, if I can fly up to Inuvik and rent something at a non-ridiculous price to drive the rest of the way to Tuktoyaktuk.

I don't think a trip upon that highway is at all road-meet friendly. I mean, I'd love to, but it'd be quite an expensive affair.

Max Rockatansky

Has anyone considered one recently for the Pacific Soutbwest region.  I would have thought I-580 would have drawn some interest or some of these mudslide repair projects. 

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 30, 2017, 12:46:57 PM
Quote from: oscar on September 23, 2017, 09:31:31 PM

I don't think a trip upon that highway is at all road-meet friendly. I mean, I'd love to, but it'd be quite an expensive affair.
It's more of a "a few of us want to do it and we're inviting anyone else who wants to join." The meet would actually be a Fairbanks meet, not that that's much cheaper.

codyg1985

Depending on how the situation with our twins are doing next year, I may host a Huntsville, AL Road Meet. I need to figure out the format. I have considered a new scavenger hunt type format to try something new, but I may also do a typical road meet setup. Haven't made up my mind yet.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

dgolub

I'll probably host something.  I've been thinking for the last couple of years that a Pocono/Lehigh Valley Road Meet could be fun.  I could also do another Long Island meet, since I'll probably be living out there by that point, perhaps something out in Hampton Bays or one of the other towns in the area covering some of the stuff that was too far east to be included in the 2015 meet.

jpi

As you all probably know by now I will be putting on a road meet focusing on the Central Susquehanna Valley Expressway Project in spring 2018. I will have the dates up for voting around mid December, I am really leaning heavily on late April for this, for one thing the chances for winter weather should be way down at that time plus I have other activities with my other hobby going on around that time. My nephew and I did some scouting last week when I was in PA and got some good pics, the construction on the new Susquehanna River bridge is coming along well with several supports constructed and lots of earth moved on both sides of the river.

As for lunch I am leaning towards Hosses Steak and sea house, they are a PA regional chain with a good salad bar and have meeting rooms that can accommodate a large group (especially if it ends up being as big as my last PA meet) Also I mentioned about the 322/144 construction, I have decided to put this on the back burner and focus on the area from Selinsgrove to maybe Williamsport, there is an old abandoned bridge in Lewisburg and a nice park up top of a scenic overlook that offers great views of the 2 Susquehanna Rivers converging at Northumberland and Sunbury with a distant view of the construction at PA 147.

Again I am open for any suggestions on any other options besides what I mentioned but the US 322 4 lane project at Potters Mills is on hold for this road meet, not a whole lot going on in that area.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

I've been considering a meet in either the Catskills or Berkshires for 2018 or 2019. Catskills would be based out of Kingston or Saugerties, Berkshires out of Pittsfield or North Adams. Catskills would likely include the Rosendale trestle, Perrine's Covered Bridge, the Kingston-Port Ewen Suspension Bridge, and a ton of other more minor things throughout the eastern part of the mountains (my grandmother lived in Boiceville until she passed away, so I'm quite familiar with the area). Berkshires would mainly focus on the ancient signs in Western Massachusetts.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeek Adam

It will depend on where I find a job, but I intend to host a meet at some point in 2018.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

TheHighwayMan3561

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring for a possible Iron Range meet in northeastern MN. Focuses would be the new Rouchleau Pit bridge on US 53 and the Eagle's Nest project on MN 1, among other things. There probably isn't going to be enough interest in two MN meets depending on what happens with the aforementioned La Crosse meet so I'll keep this on the backburner.

Would probably be in May before Memorial weekend if it happens.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 06, 2017, 01:47:14 AM
I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring for a possible Iron Range meet in northeastern MN. Focuses would be the new Rouchleau Pit bridge on US 53 and the Eagle's Nest project on MN 1, among other things. There probably isn't going to be enough interest in two MN meets depending on what happens with the aforementioned La Crosse meet so I'll keep this on the backburner.

Would probably be in May before Memorial weekend if it happens.

Oh, that sounds neat. But I'd attend either one, for sure.

US71

I've got a few ideas for Arkansas, but haven't had time to put anything together.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bandit957

The St. Louis meet in 2014 was the roadmeet to end all roadmeets, and it looks like it truly did end all roadmeets.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on October 07, 2017, 11:47:08 AM
The St. Louis meet in 2014 was the roadmeet to end all roadmeets, and it looks like it truly did end all roadmeets.

For you, maybe.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on October 07, 2017, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on October 07, 2017, 11:47:08 AM

For you, maybe.

Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out that last statement as well. There have been plenty of meets since then. And from what I heard, that 2014 meet was a real cluster foxtrot, with people getting lost and going off on their own separate routes. While I've been known to head off on roadtrips without any specific routes or destinations planned and just making choices on the fly, I prefer my meets organized.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.