News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2018 Road Meets

Started by Brandon, September 21, 2017, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on October 07, 2017, 09:16:32 PM
Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out that last statement as well. There have been plenty of meets since then. And from what I heard, that 2014 meet was a real cluster foxtrot, with people getting lost and going off on their own separate routes. While I've been known to head off on roadtrips without any specific routes or destinations planned and just making choices on the fly, I prefer my meets organized.

The 2014 St. Louis meet was GREAT! I did go to the 2015 meet in Madison WI, and it was great too! But meets really have trailed off since 2014.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on October 07, 2017, 11:16:17 PM
Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out that last statement as well. There have been plenty of meets since then. And from what I heard, that 2014 meet was a real cluster foxtrot, with people getting lost and going off on their own separate routes. While I've been known to head off on roadtrips without any specific routes or destinations planned and just making choices on the fly, I prefer my meets organized.

The 2014 St. Louis meet was GREAT! I did go to the 2015 meet in Madison WI, and it was great too! But meets really have trailed off since 2014.

In quantity or quality? 2014/15 I was not very active with my mom being ill and all the related BS.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheHighwayMan3561

The Front Range meet was pretty awesome. UP was also a lot of fun.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SSOWorld

A pretty subjective opinion to say the least.  Let's just leave it at that.

Road meet quantity has skyrocket with the number of ambitious ideas for meets popping up.  However there are only so many opportunities in a year and the whole thing starts to become competitive.  We have folks both on the east coast and the Midwest initiating meets left and right that it's hard to decide what direction for the average Michigander to go (yes - they're popular at meets :bigass: ) It also presents the unfortunate side effect of too many meets that not all will succeed.  STL 2014 was very popular with both midwesterners and east-coasters and even drew certain residents of Oklahoma, Texas, and (at the time) Montana.  It was extra hilarious in that the organizer tried to fit a weekend's worth of sights into a single day combined with the growing impatience of some attendees, resulting in a fragmenting of the group and the use of a nickname tied to a certain precision F-Strike to describe the result.  Now, compare with NYC (same year).  Also very popular, but at the same time - very organized.  The host picked from a very large (even for a 2-day weekend) list of relics a small sampling and left the rest for the attendee to (and I quote) "make your own meet".  Day 1 involved the city itself and despite the risk of losing time in NYC's weekend traffic and losing cars in the maze that is NYC's grid, it went off well without a hitch.  The group I was in improvised, taking the outer lane of the 59 Street bridge (a.k.a the Queensboro) - a lane I coined "the 59 Street Sidewalk".  Both meets drew long time but dormant roadders out.  At the same time, they both attracted new blood.  Was St. Louis "the meet to end all meets?"  Ask NYC.  Roadders drop off the map for various reason.   I didn't attend any meets in three years time (between NYC and the Twin Cities) and blame work.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

Sorry man, I don't agree with you there, meets are still alive and well and I am well on my way to nailing down my April 2018 meet and it looked like the Columbus meet was pretty good which I would have attended but had a toy show scheduled the same day in Knoxville, TN and Like Onson said road meet quantity has skyrocket with the number of ambitious ideas for meets popping up. I think mine is the first "official announced" road meet of 2018.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bandit957

Quote from: US71 on October 07, 2017, 11:53:03 PM
In quantity or quality?

Both, at least in my part of the country.

I wanted to go to the Columbus meet, but I have no energy.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on October 08, 2017, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 07, 2017, 11:53:03 PM
In quantity or quality?

Both, at least in my part of the country.

I wanted to go to the Columbus meet, but I have no energy.

B 12

froggie

^^ Maybe if you didn't blast it all through your bunker, you'd have some for other endeavors.

US71

No exact date yet, but the annual Jefferson Highway Conference will be in St Joseph, MO in 2018.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 11, 2017, 03:27:34 PM
^^ Maybe if you didn't blast it all through your bunker, you'd have some for other endeavors.

:-D

You win the Internet today!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Has anyone done a South Hampton Roads VA road meet recently?

Recently completed and within general close proximity --
-- Elizabeth River Tunnels project, new Midtown Tunnel, rehabbed existing tunnels, MLK Freeway Extension
-- Dominion Boulevard project, freeway upgrade and high-level bridge
-- Gilmerton Bridge project, replacement with high-level lift span bridge
-- Jordan Bridge, replacement with high-level bridge
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

I ran one about 4-5 years ago which included construction of the first 3 (including several vantage points along Dominion Blvd) and completion of the Jordan Bridge.

kphoger

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 22, 2017, 07:25:03 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 22, 2017, 12:31:56 AM
I'd like to see the La Crosse/Winona bridge meet happen. I'll let SSO take first dibs since it's his baby but I'll gladly step in if you don't want to.

I had an idea though for that one which I hadn't discussed yet which was making it a two-day with a day for Rochester material. I suppose that can also be post-meet if we don't feel there's enough but I have a few things in mind.

When Scott first shared his idea about a La Crosse meet, I was very interested - and I still am. I actually have a friend who is in Rochester doing a seminary internship until next August. If this meet happens before next August, I could potentially include a visit with him. :)

I've been toying with the idea of a family camping trip near LaCrosse and Winona next year, so this is actually a bit attractive to me as well.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on October 17, 2017, 10:40:44 AM
I ran one about 4-5 years ago which included construction of the first 3 (including several vantage points along Dominion Blvd) and completion of the Jordan Bridge.

Since you now live a long way from there, maybe I should consider leading one.  They are pretty interesting to drive on, over, under and across.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Has there been a Springfield, MO, road meet?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Spring 2014. Mike and Laura did one the next day in Salisbury, Md. I remember because my travel plans got messed up due to a sick pet at home. Had to leave early on Friday morning and drove all day, and made it in time to watch the Kentucky game on television Friday night. Had to depart the Sunday meet early because of the same sick pet and listened to UK take down then-undefeated Wichita State on the radio. Stayed that night in Farmville (back when that game was a big thing) and didn't get home in time before the kitty died. I had to stop at the Pikeville Walmart to get a box to bury her in.

Quote from: Beltway on October 17, 2017, 11:13:25 AM
Since you now live a long way from there, maybe I should consider leading one.  They are pretty interesting to drive on, over, under and across.

I'd sure consider attending that one. It might be my best chance to clinch US 158 on the way there. (Yes, I know US 158 doesn't enter Virginia, but I could take it all the way to the vicinity of the Outer Banks and then swing north).

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2017, 11:19:33 AM

Not that I can ever remember. If anyone was interested in doing a northwest Arkansas meet, which I've heard mentioned, this would be a great opportunity for back-to-back, Saturday-Sunday meets.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2017, 12:09:03 PM

Not that I can ever remember. If anyone was interested in doing a northwest Arkansas meet, which I've heard mentioned, this would be a great opportunity for back-to-back, Saturday-Sunday meets.

Could even add Craig County, Oklahoma, to that one.
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2017, 01:22:54 PM

CouLd bE an inTeResTinG MeEt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

oscar

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2017, 01:22:54 PM

Or, to the NW Arkansas part, Delaware County OK and the OK-MO-AR tri-point, plus snagging the completed part of AR 549/Future I-49.

I visited the tri-point, and drove the short then-completed part of AR 549, as part of an Extra Miler Club meet (Bentonville AR, in 2015?).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

Out of these ideas that have been toyed around over the past couple of days or so, I would consider attending meets in South Hampton Roads VA, Springfield MO, and NW Arkansas.  :spin:
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 17, 2017, 09:17:25 PM
Out of these ideas that have been toyed around over the past couple of days or so, I would consider attending meets in South Hampton Roads VA, Springfield MO, and NW Arkansas.  :spin:

Springfield, you'd have to talk to "Alternate 71" , but he's not on the forum.

NWA, I'd have to think.  549, 71/49 clusterfucktraffic circle. War Eagle Mill bridge, War Eagle Creek at Hunstville., the 49/112  clusterfuck junction. Part of the 412 bypass might be open.

Beltway

Quote from: Beltway on October 17, 2017, 11:13:25 AM
I'd sure consider attending that one. It might be my best chance to clinch US 158 on the way there. (Yes, I know US 158 doesn't enter Virginia, but I could take it all the way to the vicinity of the Outer Banks and then swing north).

South Hampton Roads VA road meet, recently completed projects
-- Elizabeth River Tunnels project, new Midtown Tunnel, rehabbed existing tunnels, MLK Freeway Extension
-- Dominion Boulevard project, freeway upgrade and high-level bridge
-- Gilmerton Bridge project, replacement with high-level lift span bridge
-- Jordan Bridge, replacement with high-level bridge

That is about 100 miles from where I live, but now that I am fully retired I certainly have the time to plan and lead such a meet.  It would start with proposing a set of possible Saturdays and soliciting feedback on what day would draw the most attendance.  Probably early 2018.

Most of the road trip would be actually driving these facilities as there are not very many vantage points to stop, but all of the bridges can be gotten under.

I have a Buick LaCrosse that can comfortably seat 5 people, and I am ok with blowing enough tolls to drive all of these highways in both directions (probably only about $12 or so total).

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Springfield (MO) has at least five DDIs, plus the beautiful stack at 65/60.  And the first place I met my wife face-to-face (Greyhound station), but that's probably not tour-worthy.

To the south, Branson has another DDI, a nice view of old Taneycomo bridge while driving the new one, the weird oval-type-roundabout-thing just south of the bridges, a five-way roundabout by Skaggs, several steel truss bridges in the area (Table Rock Dam, Kimberling City, 2 at Forsyth), and I honestly think the High Road is worth driving just to appreciate the difficulty of putting four-lane highways in the Ozarks.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

I wouldn't mind reprising my 2014 NE Wisconsin I-41 meet sometime next year, too.  There's been a lot of very interesting highway upgrade work around here since then.

Mike

jpi

A NW AR meet would be doable for me, a days drive from middle TN on Friday and if I have a toy show up in St Louis on Sunday of the same weekend that would work out great.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.