News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: storm2k on April 05, 2024, 08:07:41 PMThere's a simple reason that there weren't interstate to toll road interchanges in many of these places.

From our friends at the FHWA talking about Breezewood:

> This peculiar arrangement occurred because of Section 113 of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. Under Section 113(b), Federal-aid funds could be used for approaches to any toll road, bridge, or tunnel "to a point where such project will have some use irrespective of its use for such toll road, bridge, or tunnel." In other words, a motorist could use the toll facility or not. Under Section 113 (c), the State highway agency and toll authority could use Federal-aid highway funds to build an interchange between a toll-free Interstate and an Interstate turnpike (i.e., the motorist would have no choice but to use the toll road). However, the State highway agency, the toll authority, and the BPR would have to enter into an agreement to stop collecting tolls when the bonds were retired.

> The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC), which had no desire to stop collecting tolls, decided not to use the State's Federal-aid funds for the I-70 connection. The PTC also decided against using its own revenue for the interchanges.

It's why the interchange between 80 and the NE Extension technically goes thru an intermediary road. That was also evident in the interchange between 84 and the NY Thruway for so many years. That law has since been modified to allow this, obviously, but these are vestiges of it.

So wait, according to the above, the interchange between I-70 and US 30 was federally funded, but the interchange between US 30 and the PA turnpike still had to be paid for by the PTC, right? So what's the difference whether the PTC built an interchange with US 30 or with I-70 if they had to fund it themselves either way (and the same question would apply for I-95 via US 13, I-78 via US 22, and I-80 via PA 940)?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.