News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texas-Utah road trip this summer

Started by US 89, April 23, 2018, 05:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

This summer I'm going to fly to Houston with my dad to pick up some of my grandpa's old stuff, and we'll drive back to Utah. We'll leave from Houston around noon and drive for 3 days. The route is looking like this, but I'm open to any suggestions:

• US 290 west from Houston to TX 6
  • TX 6 north through College Station to US 190
  • US 190 west to US 183 (including I-14)
  • US 183 north to US 84
  • US 84 west to Abilene
  • I-20 and US 84 west to Snyder, spend night there

• US 84 west through Lubbock all the way to I-40 in NM
  • I-40 west to US 285
  • US 285 north through Santa Fe to Espanola
  • US 84 north to US 160 at Pagosa Springs CO
  • US 160 west to Durango, spend night there

• US 550 north on the Million Dollar Highway to US 50 (which will finish my 550 clinch)
  • US 50 west to Grand Junction
  • I-70, US 6, and I-15 to Salt Lake City

Link to Google map of route

US 81

I'd be inclined to stay on US 290 to Brenham, follow TX 36 to Milano and join US 190 there at Milano. (US 290 is a TOTSO in Brenham, so one just stays on the highway which continues as TX 36.)

Not sure the current state of road construction of I-35 in Temple, but it is still likely to be faster than tracking southward into Austin (ie US 290 to US 183), not to mention seeing the I-14 signage along US 190 thru Belton-Killeen.

If you have the time, you'll be going very close to the Regency Bridge, near Goldthwaite.

Been too long since I've veered further west to comment further.

Have a great trip.

US 89

Thanks for the info. I thought about taking US 290 to Brenham, but I get an extra county for an extra 7 minutes through College Station, and I have family that used to live there.

Good to know there's construction on I-35. I-14 is the main reason we're going that way, otherwise we probably would go through Waco.

I'll definitely keep the Regency Bridge in mind, but that would depend on how much time we spend with my dad's brother who currently lives in Houston.

texaskdog

Quote from: roadguy2 on April 23, 2018, 05:53:49 PM
This summer I'm going to fly to Houston with my dad to pick up some of my grandpa's old stuff, and we'll drive back to Utah. We'll leave from Houston around noon and drive for 3 days. The route is looking like this, but I'm open to any suggestions:

• US 290 west from Houston to TX 6
  • TX 6 north through College Station to US 190
  • US 190 west to US 183 (including I-14)
  • US 183 north to US 84
  • US 84 west to Abilene, spend night there

• I-20 and US 84 through Lubbock all the way to I-40 in NM
  • I-40 west to US 285
  • US 285 north through Santa Fe to Espanola (may take a short detour to Los Alamos if we have time)
  • US 84 north to US 160 at Pagosa Springs CO
  • US 160 west to Durango, spend night there

• US 550 north on the Million Dollar Highway to US 50 (which will finish my 550 clinch)
  • US 50 west to Grand Junction
  • I-70, US 6, and I-15 to Salt Lake City

Link to Google map of route

Go to Austin instead of College Station.  There is nothing to do in College station.  They have a farm school there.

The rest seems pretty good.  That part of Texas (Lubbock) is not that interesting.  I'd go from Houston to Santa Fe in 2 days, then the good stuff starts.

US 89

Just finished this trip last week. US 550 north of Durango was pilot-car-only when we went through, due to the 416 Fire. We got insanely lucky; an hour after we passed through, the road was completely closed.

epzik8

Cool! I myself am in Provo right now.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.