News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

cpzilliacus

Daily Press: Regional long-range transportation plan ensures cash for I-64, other Peninsula projects

QuoteA regional blueprint meant to address bottlenecks, congestion and mass transit needs during the next 24 years could include nearly $4.2 billion in bonds issued by the area's primary road financier.

QuoteOfficials with the Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization are putting their final touches on the region's 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan.

QuoteThe long-range plan helps regional transportation leaders prioritize significant transportation projects needed to improve congestion and traffic woes on the Peninsula and across the region, said Dale M. Stith, HRTPO principal transportation engineer.

QuoteThe plan, which is mostly finalized by members of the transportation planning organization and Hampton Roads Transit, is typically updated every four to five years, Stith said.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

I was on the Peninsula on Tuesday (visiting Buckroe and a local brewery). US 17's widening/repaving/whatever in York County is progressing pretty nicely.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on April 28, 2016, 08:30:28 PM
I was on the Peninsula on Tuesday (visiting Buckroe and a local brewery). US 17's widening/repaving/whatever in York County is progressing pretty nicely.

I will have to remind myself to revisit that area after it is finished (not as easy for me to do since I live in PA now), my friend's wife is from that area and told me that the project has basically made US 17 a parking lot for large portions of the day.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 28, 2016, 09:31:34 PM

I will have to remind myself to revisit that area after it is finished (not as easy for me to do since I live in PA now), my friend's wife is from that area and told me that the project has basically made US 17 a parking lot for large portions of the day.
I was on it during afternoon rush hour. Once I got to SR 634 I bailed out and took the back way to the Colonial Parkway.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

The new pedestrian bridge over I-395 at Seminary Road is to open tomorrow, per a tweet from Dr. Gridlock.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

The signals put on the ramps at the I-95 interchange at SR 606 (Exit 118) in Thornburg are going into flashing mode until the planned widening project is done.  Apparently the new signals created back ups on the ramps and SR 606 that were not there before.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on April 29, 2016, 09:09:17 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 28, 2016, 09:31:34 PM

I was on it during afternoon rush hour. Once I got to SR 634 I bailed out and took the back way to the Colonial Parkway.

Apparently Phase 1 of the US 17 widening is nearing completion, the new lanes should open in a few weeks.

Thing 342

Drove along US-17 the other day and got some photos of the ongoing widening project between SR-630 and VA-134 in York County.
Sorry about the shite picture quality, as I only had my dashcam to get photos from. (I try not to take photos from behind the wheel for safety reasons)

Heading NB, the new third lane starts as an added lane from VA-134. It's mostly complete between here and SR-620 (Oriana Rd), but is blocked off for some reason.

Just past SR-620, traffic shifts over to the right, where the new inside lane needs paving work.

Some asphalt trucks working on resurfacing the southbound side. The northbound side will likely be next.

Heading back southbound now, one lane has been blocked off between SR-630 and SR-621 to lay new asphalt. The third lane has been graded somewhat, but not paved.

A better look at the new lane, headed southbound just past SR-620.

A look at the recently reconstructed bridge over the Poquoson River near the dam for Harwood's Mill Reservoir.

AlexandriaVA

VDOT announced the completion of a roundabout at Braddock Rd (western portion) and Pleasant Valley Road:

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/braddock_and_pleasant_valley.asp

Since it is settled that roundabouts are safer and more efficient, there is nothing much needed to discuss about the peformance improvements of the intersection.

I don't get out that way and may never drive the intersection, but I was wondering why there is a right-turn slip lane on the roundabount?

Mapmikey

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on May 19, 2016, 02:32:19 PM
VDOT announced the completion of a roundabout at Braddock Rd (western portion) and Pleasant Valley Road:

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/braddock_and_pleasant_valley.asp

Since it is settled that roundabouts are safer and more efficient, there is nothing much needed to discuss about the peformance improvements of the intersection.

I don't get out that way and may never drive the intersection, but I was wondering why there is a right-turn slip lane on the roundabount?

Read pg. 46 (pdf pg 52) here - http://www.virginiadot.org/VDOT/Projects/Northern_Virginia/asset_upload_file820_64596.pdf

hbelkins

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on May 19, 2016, 02:32:19 PM

Settled like global warming?  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Thing 342 on September 09, 2015, 12:13:46 AM
Daily Press - I-64 Widening to Begin this Month http://www.dailypress.com/news/newport-news/dp-nws-nn-64-widening-20150908-story.html

So after 14+ years of living in Hampton Roads, they finally start work on this project less than a month after I move out. Excellent.

VDOT is airing radio ads in Northern Virginia advising drivers heading for the beach to use I-295 and US 460 this summer to avoid the I-64 widening construction

Thing 342

Cross-posted from The Clearview Thread:

I spotted this on my way to work this morning, just east of Exit 255. As far as I know, it was installed within the past month (I don't remember it being there last week, and it's not on street view imagery from March 2016). All of the other signs of this type are in Clearview. Now, the lack of rounded corners and 18" shield numerals (the standard for these signs is 16") suggest that this is a contractor error, but it could be a sign that VA is thinking of moving away from Clearview.

froggie

Quotebut it could be a sign that VA is thinking of moving away from Clearview.

Given that FHWA has rescinded their interim approval of Clearview, it's clear (pun intended) that this sign is one of the first offshoots of that recision.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: froggie on May 25, 2016, 08:51:28 PM
Quotebut it could be a sign that VA is thinking of moving away from Clearview.

Given that FHWA has rescinded their interim approval of Clearview, it's clear (pun intended) that this sign is one of the first offshoots of that recision.

Yeah, VDOT was very quick to react to FHWA's decision. I've seen some street name signs (the ones mounted on traffic signal mast arms) and a few temporary signs posted in the past few weeks that were not Clearview.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

Quote from: Thing 342 on May 13, 2016, 11:37:53 AM
Heading NB, the new third lane starts as an added lane from VA-134. It's mostly complete between here and SR-620 (Oriana Rd), but is blocked off for some reason.
The new third lanes on US 17 up to the bowling alley (before SR 620) are open now in both directions.

Thing 342

Quote from: Thing 342 on May 25, 2016, 08:48:25 PM
Cross-posted from The Clearview Thread:

I spotted this on my way to work this morning, just east of Exit 255. As far as I know, it was installed within the past month (I don't remember it being there last week, and it's not on street view imagery from March 2016). All of the other signs of this type are in Clearview. Now, the lack of rounded corners and 18" shield numerals (the standard for these signs is 16") suggest that this is a contractor error, but it could be a sign that VA is thinking of moving away from Clearview.
A quick update on this: Another one of these new signs has gone up, a mast-mounted version showing travel times to Exit 291 / VA-168 around MM 257 on I-64. It's also in FHWA, with the shields in a similar style. Apparently, this is all apart of a larger replacement project of the existing ground-mounted ones with overhead versions.

Not a huge fan of the right-side placement of the mast.

ixnay

Thing 342, that sign for VA 168 ought to show the driving time to the OBX themselves (Kitty Hawk at least, and maybe Buxton).  :)

Let us know when those signs are activated!

ixnay

74/171FAN

Quote from: ixnay on June 04, 2016, 03:24:43 PM
Thing 342, that sign for VA 168 ought to show the driving time to the OBX themselves (Kitty Hawk at least, and maybe Buxton).  :)

Let us know when those signs are activated!

ixnay

Unless VDOT and NCDOT coordinate with each other to place these signs on VA/NC 168 and US 158, I doubt that you will see actual travel times to the Outer Banks... (maybe the VA/NC Line at best if the city of Chesapeake gets involved)

Also I found an update on the planned US 60 Relocation Project from VA 105 at Fort Eustis into James City County.

froggie

Related to that US 60 relocation article is this bit of news about how cost savings elsewhere have resulted in the CTB funding most of another widening project on I-64, from I-295 to VA 33/VA 249/Bottoms Bridge.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 04, 2016, 03:37:42 PM
Unless VDOT and NCDOT coordinate with each other to place these signs on VA/NC 168 and US 158, I doubt that you will see actual travel times to the Outer Banks... (maybe the VA/NC Line at best if the city of Chesapeake gets involved)

They presumably use vehicle probe data to compute those speeds, and it would be very easy for VDOT to post the estimated travel time to the Outer Banks. 

Maryland SHA is routinely posting the estimated travel time "to Va." on southbound I-95 approaching I-495, and I wish they would post that travel time to the Springfield interchange instead.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 04, 2016, 09:56:30 PM

They presumably use vehicle probe data to compute those speeds, and it would be vary easy for VDOT to post the estimated travel time to the Outer Banks. 

Maryland SHA is routinely posting the estimated travel time "to Va." on southbound I-95 approaching I-495, and I wish they would post that travel time to the Springfield interchange instead.

I agree, for example, on I-76 WB heading to US 202 in King of Prussia they only show the travel time to US 30 in Exton via US 202 SB.  The PTC and PennDOT, if willing, should have the resources to post travel times to Reading via both the I-76 and I-176 corridor (majority on the PA Turnpike-all interstate freeway) and US 422 (arterial from Reading to Pottstown, freeway from Pottstown east, but with only two lanes on the west side of PA 100 due to the current construction of the Schuylkill River bridges (with the one on the east side of PA 100 having four lanes but with trucks limited to the left lane and no shoulders), heavy congestion during both the morning (PA 29 to PA 23 in Valley Forge) and afternoon rush hours (definitely from US 202 to past PA 363), and more construction to help alleviate the congestion just mentioned (at the PA 23 and PA 363 interchanges-including the replacement/widening of the Schuylkill River Bridge here as well, currently the main choking point).

IMO, considering the tolls are still continually increasing on the PA Turnpike system yearly, I feel that anything the PTC could do to convince more traffic to use their roads would only be a benefit to them.  I would want to believe that the idea for the Scranton Beltway would include travel times via I-81 and I-476, otherwise I do not understand how the PTC would otherwise try to convince motorists to bypass Scranton.

Zzonkmiles

I just checked the VDOT page and was pleasantly surprised. It's good to see I-64 being widened west of Newport News. But I wonder if there are any projects in the works to decrease congestion further east where the two-lane tunnels are. I'm not sure how feasible it even is to widen these tunnels or create new ones, but I hope they're looking at it.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 04, 2016, 10:42:10 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 04, 2016, 09:56:30 PM

They presumably use vehicle probe data to compute those speeds, and it would be vary easy for VDOT to post the estimated travel time to the Outer Banks. 

I agree, for example, on I-76 WB heading to US 202 in King of Prussia they only show the travel time to US 30 in Exton via US 202 SB.  The PTC and PennDOT, if willing, should have the resources to post travel times to Reading via both the I-76 and I-176 corridor (majority on the PA Turnpike-all interstate freeway) and US 422 (arterial from Reading to Pottstown, freeway from Pottstown east, but with only two lanes on the west side of PA 100 due to the current construction of the Schuylkill River bridges (with the one on the east side of PA 100 having four lanes but with trucks limited to the left lane and no shoulders), heavy congestion during both the morning (PA 29 to PA 23 in Valley Forge) and afternoon rush hours (definitely from US 202 to past PA 363), and more construction to help alleviate the congestion just mentioned (at the PA 23 and PA 363 interchanges-including the replacement/widening of the Schuylkill River Bridge here as well, currently the main choking point).

IMO, considering the tolls are still continually increasing on the PA Turnpike system yearly, I feel that anything the PTC could do to convince more traffic to use their roads would only be a benefit to them.  I would want to believe that the idea for the Scranton Beltway would include travel times via I-81 and I-476, otherwise I do not understand how the PTC would otherwise try to convince motorists to bypass Scranton.

Maryland has only recently started to post the travel times on Md. 200/I-370 at the approaches to same on I-95 and on I-270.

For those drivers that to not have such information in their vehicles, this is helpful to them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.