News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

My travels in Virginia two weeks ago also consisted of roadgeeking, and here's some things I noted:

Richmond is HORRIBLE at signing turns. I tried to follow US 360 into the city and wound up on another street, simply because the turn wasn't signed.

For some reason, the connection from VA 150 to River Road is signed as VA 147. Is it actually 147/River Road or is it something else? I also missed the left turn on River Road to head back to Richmond, because VA 147 was not signed and wound up on VA 6 instead.

Wait, US 250 ends at 21st Street (or 21th Street)? There's no end sign.

Up near Fredericksburg, we tried to get away from a traffic jam on I-95.  We took US 1 and wanted to return to I-95 (assuming the jam was over north of there) after entering Fredericksburg. At VA 3, there was a sign to I-95 pointing onto VA 3 East. It was then completely unsigned, and apparently we had to take VA 3 West. Why is the TO I-95 pointing along VA 3 East if West is the correct way? Also, Fredericksburg is a pretty place.

Up near D.C., the Springfield Interchange is pretty cool.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 06, 2016, 12:43:55 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 05, 2016, 08:49:55 PM
2016-18 Virginia Official Map is now available:

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/maps-default.asp

Good to see they have US 250 ending at...uh, "Twenty-Oneth Street" in downtown Richmond...

Also, VA 337 ALT is mislabeled as "ALT VA 334" in the Norfolk Downtown inset...and it looks like VA 167's ghost has yet to be exorcised from the Hampton/Newport News inset.
VA 167 was decommissioned? I have a state map from 2014 or so that still shows it. If I go there next year I'll see if I can't find any route markers.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Thing 342

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 06, 2016, 10:48:26 PM
My travels in Virginia two weeks ago also consisted of roadgeeking, and here's some things I noted:

Richmond is HORRIBLE at signing turns. I tried to follow US 360 into the city and wound up on another street, simply because the turn wasn't signed.

For some reason, the connection from VA 150 to River Road is signed as VA 147. Is it actually 147/River Road or is it something else? I also missed the left turn on River Road to head back to Richmond, because VA 147 was not signed and wound up on VA 6 instead.

Up near Fredericksburg, we tried to get away from a traffic jam on I-95.  We took US 1 and wanted to return to I-95 (assuming the jam was over north of there) after entering Fredericksburg. At VA 3, there was a sign to I-95 pointing onto VA 3 East. It was then completely unsigned, and apparently we had to take VA 3 West. Why is the TO I-95 pointing along VA 3 East if West is the correct way? Also, Fredericksburg is a pretty place.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 06, 2016, 12:43:55 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 05, 2016, 08:49:55 PM
2016-18 Virginia Official Map is now available:

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/maps-default.asp

Good to see they have US 250 ending at...uh, "Twenty-Oneth Street" in downtown Richmond...

Also, VA 337 ALT is mislabeled as "ALT VA 334" in the Norfolk Downtown inset...and it looks like VA 167's ghost has yet to be exorcised from the Hampton/Newport News inset.
VA 167 was decommissioned? I have a state map from 2014 or so that still shows it. If I go there next year I'll see if I can't find any route markers.
VA 167 was decommissioned in 1995 and AFAIK was completely deposted by 1999. Having lived on the Peninsula for 15 years, I can safely say that I have never seen a VA 167 shield, yet it inexplicably remains on official maps and pops up on Google Maps from time to time.

noelbotevera

Speaking of the VA Beach area, does signs of VA 44 still exist? I know it was decommissioned in the 90's to I-264, but since it wasn't that long ago, I'm curious if any signs of it exist.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 06, 2016, 11:33:41 PM
Speaking of the VA Beach area, does signs of VA 44 still exist? I know it was decommissioned in the 90's to I-264, but since it wasn't that long ago, I'm curious if any signs of it exist.

No there are no VA 44 signs anywhere that I know of.  I believe they were all gone as soon as 2001.  Knowing VA Beach though, I would not be surprised to find a circle VA 44 sign on a side street somewhere.

US 250 actually ends at US 360 (18th St) since 2003 (I believe).  It had ended at US 60 (21st St) but US 60 was rerouted onto Main St and the western portion of VA 5 around that time so US 250 was cut back.  Also US 250 is barely posted in downtown Richmond (especially east of US 1/US 301-Belvidere St).

Also the Springfield Interchange is one of my favorite interchanges to drive through (especially via the I-95 flyovers).  Though I never go that way anymore as I usually avoid NoVA when going to/from the Petersburg area.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

The I-95 sign on US 1 NB approaching VA 3 is poorly placed (should be on the far left of this assembly) but it is accurate - https://goo.gl/maps/kZJSRDVm5nS2.  It has the same arrow as the VA 3 West marker and not the VA 3 East Marker.  There should also be one at the VA 3 East ramp showing that 95 is straight with VA 3 west.

US 250 currently ends at 18th (US 360).  From 1974-2003 it ended at 21st which used to be US 60.  US 250 has never been posted east of I-95 and currently is not posted east of US 1-301 other than on 95 BGSs.

No VA 44 or VA 167 signage is known to still exist.  At least RMcN finally dropped VA 167...

I'm confused about your VA 150 and VA 147 stuff.  VA 147 does not run on River Rd as far out as VA 150.  VA 147 leaves River Rd at the Huguenot Bridge to cross the James River.  VA 150 and VA 147 intersect on the southside of the James River.  If you miss a left turn onto River Rd to head for Richmond (meaning you are heading south), how do you end up at VA 6?  Unless you used the connection between VA 150 and River Rd (no VA 147 signage in Aug 2015 GMSV and none in my experience though I haven't been by there lately) and turned right onto River Rd which does run into VA 6 out in Goochland County...

GMSV does show the US 360 WB posting from 18th to Main as removed between 7/14 and 7/15.  It's a good thing you didn't try to follow US 33-VA 33 through which is much more poorly posted.

Fredericksburg is where the I-95 jams start, not where they abate.  But Fredericksburg itself is a lovely place to live...

noelbotevera

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 07, 2016, 06:46:55 AM

The I-95 sign on US 1 NB approaching VA 3 is poorly placed (should be on the far left of this assembly) but it is accurate - https://goo.gl/maps/kZJSRDVm5nS2.  It has the same arrow as the VA 3 West marker and not the VA 3 East Marker.  There should also be one at the VA 3 East ramp showing that 95 is straight with VA 3 west.

US 250 currently ends at 18th (US 360).  From 1974-2003 it ended at 21st which used to be US 60.  US 250 has never been posted east of I-95 and currently is not posted east of US 1-301 other than on 95 BGSs.

No VA 44 or VA 167 signage is known to still exist.  At least RMcN finally dropped VA 167...

I'm confused about your VA 150 and VA 147 stuff.  VA 147 does not run on River Rd as far out as VA 150.  VA 147 leaves River Rd at the Huguenot Bridge to cross the James River.  VA 150 and VA 147 intersect on the southside of the James River.  If you miss a left turn onto River Rd to head for Richmond (meaning you are heading south), how do you end up at VA 6?  Unless you used the connection between VA 150 and River Rd (no VA 147 signage in Aug 2015 GMSV and none in my experience though I haven't been by there lately) and turned right onto River Rd which does run into VA 6 out in Goochland County...

GMSV does show the US 360 WB posting from 18th to Main as removed between 7/14 and 7/15.  It's a good thing you didn't try to follow US 33-VA 33 through which is much more poorly posted.

Fredericksburg is where the I-95 jams start, not where they abate.  But Fredericksburg itself is a lovely place to live...
That assembly is with VA 3 is what caused us to detour through Fredericksburg.

We used the connector from the end of VA 150 to River Road, and unknowingly entered Goochland County.

I actually missed this turn. I wasn't able to catch the sign in time and lost US 360 WB from there. That was the last sign I saw up until the signs near the Exxon at 17th and Broad Streets.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

WillWeaverRVA

There is one US 250 reassurance marker on eastbound Broad St just past Foushee St, but that's the last one.

Following pretty much any Virginia primary route that isn't VA 6, VA 161, or VA 147 through Richmond is an exercise in futility because of how poorly the city signs primary routes. There are *new* US 33 unisigns on Leigh St between Harrison and Belvidere (this part of Leigh is VA 33). Attempting to contact Richmond Public Works, even with help from VDOT, has proven useless over the past 10 or so years I've tried. Recommendations were made but not actually followed through. When 17th and 18th Sts became two-way south of Broad, VDOT actually had to go in and install new US 360, I-95, and I-64 trailblazers because the city still had erroneous signage up.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 07, 2016, 09:55:09 AM

There is one US 250 reassurance marker on eastbound Broad St just past Foushee St, but that's the last one.

I remember that one now that you bring it up.  For some reason, I have a thing with traveling US 250 through downtown Richmond when I get a chance.

Looking at GSV, this old assembly (extremely faded) assembly still exists.  (From N Monroe St just east of US 1-301, bonus on that GSV refers to Broad as just US 33.)

I still have an older photo of that (from 2009):

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

I was just doing some research and I discovered that the Virginia statute regarding turning on red has been amended. Several of us have noted that Virginia law long did not prohibit turning right on a red arrow. Now it does. Here's the current statute. Key provision bolded. Of course, I don't doubt if you obey this law, other drivers will go ballistic.

Frankly, having a red arrow mean "no turn in this direction" makes perfect sense to me, and I always thought allowing turns on red arrows seemed a bit odd.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-835/

QuoteNotwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where a traffic control device is placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red circular signal, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a right turn.

Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where a traffic control device is placed permitting turns on a steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red arrow, after coming to a full stop, shall remain standing until a signal to proceed is shown.

Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic using the intersection.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MASTERNC

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 11, 2016, 10:09:18 PM
I was just doing some research and I discovered that the Virginia statute regarding turning on red has been amended. Several of us have noted that Virginia law long did not prohibit turning right on a red arrow. Now it does. Here's the current statute. Key provision bolded. Of course, I don't doubt if you obey this law, other drivers will go ballistic.

Frankly, having a red arrow mean "no turn in this direction" makes perfect sense to me, and I always thought allowing turns on red arrows seemed a bit odd.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-835/

QuoteNotwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where a traffic control device is placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red circular signal, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a right turn.

Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where a traffic control device is placed permitting turns on a steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red arrow, after coming to a full stop, shall remain standing until a signal to proceed is shown.

Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic using the intersection.

Looks like they also codified a flashing red arrow like Maryland and Delaware use.

AlexandriaVA

https://wamu.org/news/16/07/14/safetrack_shuttles_cant_use_alexandria_express_bus_lanes_despite_complaints

QuoteWMATA shuttles bridging the gap in rail service in Northern Virginia through July 18 will not receive access to express bus lanes in Alexandria so they can bypass Route 1 gridlock, city officials said.

Quote"In Alexandria, the signal timing at the congested intersection of East Glebe and Route 1 allows very little time for buses to exit the transitway traveling eastbound onto East Glebe Road en route to Crystal City,"  said Albert. "While we were able to modify the timing to better accommodate buses, the sheer volume of shuttles (40+ shuttles are in operation and in many cases they are arriving bunched) compared to normal transitway operations creates a choke point at this location that ultimately limits capacity and would hinder the effectiveness of the shuttle service."

74/171FAN

The interchange (technically grade-separated intersection) on US 29 at SR 631/Rio Road could open as early as Monday.

I drove through this and the six-lane widening north of SR 643 (Polo Grounds Road) to SR 1719 (Towncenter Drive) Sunday when taking an alternate route back to PA.

(The link to the Route 29 Solutions website as I am unsure via the search bar that we have really talked about these projects on here.)

Update:  The grade-separated intersection opens tonight. (July 18th)

1995hoo

Thanks for that info about Cville. Gives me a reason to consider going through there to see it in two weeks. What a change from the overloaded old road they had when I was at UVA.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 16, 2016, 07:24:02 PM
Thanks for that info about Cville. Gives me a reason to consider going through there to see it in two weeks. What a change from the overloaded old road they had when I was at UVA.

On a side note, I saw very quickly why you do not always take US 29 there (though I-66 may be part of it as well).  Obviously not an exact count, I think there had to have been at least 20-25 traffic signals between US 250 and the north end of Madison.   (This part of US 29 had been on my bucket list since 2004, when I rode on the US 29 and US 250 bypasses of Charlottesville during a middle school field trip to Monticello and UVA, and I recently did US 15 and US 522 north of I-64.  I may not have even done it Sunday if I-95 was not congested south of Fredericksburg.)

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 16, 2016, 08:06:35 PM

On a side note, I saw very quickly why you do not always take US 29 there (though I-66 may be part of it as well).  Obviously not an exact count, I think there had to have been at least 20-25 traffic signals between US 250 and the north end of Madison.   (This part of US 29 had been on my bucket list since 2004, when I rode on the US 29 and US 250 bypasses of Charlottesville during a middle school field trip to Monticello and UVA, and I recently did US 15 and US 522 north of I-64.  I may not have even done it Sunday if I-95 was not congested south of Fredericksburg.)

I did US 29 back in December between Charlottesville and I-66 and didn't find it to be congested at all.  The signal flow seemed to be very good north of Charlottesville.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 16, 2016, 08:06:35 PM

Another reason is that with where I live in Fairfax County, it's more direct (but not always faster!) not to take 29 at all. My usual route home from Charlottesville is:

US-250 east to Shadwell
VA-22 through Keswick, becomes VA-231 near Cismont
VA-231 to Gordonsville
Take second exit from roundabout onto US-15 to Orange
Turn right onto VA-20 and follow to its end
Turn right onto VA-3 and follow to I-95 or US-1 (which depends on I-95 traffic)
Follow either of those rest of way

The US-29/I-66 route is out of the way to the north, though depending on what day of the week and time of day it is, it can be faster if it's a bad time for I-95 traffic. The HO/T lanes help northbound but are not necessarily a help southbound because they back up at the end.

74/171FAN

Speaking of Fredericksburg, there is a public hearing Tuesday about improvements to the I-95 interchange at VA 3.

The major changes would be the elimination of the current loop from VA 3 EB to I-95 NB (instead having three left turn lanes for I-95 NB at a new traffic signal).  There would also be three right turn lanes from I-95 SB to VA 3 WB at a new signal (with a separate lane that goes straight to Carl D Silver Parkway).

jcn

QuoteThe HO/T lanes help northbound but are not necessarily a help southbound because they back up at the end.

This is because the lanes end right before a busy interchange, and it creates weaving issues.  They plan to extends the lanes south past the interchange.

D-Dey65

Has anybody here ever been on US 301 in Carson, VA? I say that divided section near the on and off-ramps of I-95 at Exit 37 needs more left-turn lanes for the gas stations across from them, as well as Rowanty Road.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 29, 2016, 11:13:04 AM
Has anybody here ever been on US 301 in Carson, VA? I say that divided section near the on and off-ramps of I-95 at Exit 37 needs more left-turn lanes for the gas stations across from them, as well as Rowanty Road.

I definitely know what you're talking about. I guess VDOT figures traffic volumes are so low on US 301 here that left turn lanes aren't warranted?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

They're not.  Daily traffic volumes on 301 in that area are 1500 or less.  Absolutely no need for a turn lane with volumes that light and VDOT maintaining the divided section.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 16, 2016, 06:37:45 AM
The interchange (technically grade-separated intersection) on US 29 at SR 631/Rio Road could open as early as Monday.

I drove through this and the six-lane widening north of SR 643 (Polo Grounds Road) to SR 1719 (Towncenter Drive) Sunday when taking an alternate route back to PA.

(The link to the Route 29 Solutions website as I am unsure via the search bar that we have really talked about these projects on here.)

We drove through the Rio Road interchange today on northbound Route 29. Should be a nice change once people get used to it. But it was somewhat frustrating today because there weren't enough advance overhead signs telling people which lanes to use, just one set of signs right at the interchange. Led to a lot of extremely slow driving and last-minute lane-changing. Charlottesville drivers have never seemed to deal very well with new traffic patterns anyway, and this is a big change. It was apparent to me from a portable VMS that if you "exit" up the ramp to Rio Road, you can continue on 29, seeing as how the ramp is marked as "LOCAL." The portable VMS said to use the "LOCAL" route to go to Albemarle Square. But people naturally panicked when they saw the new underpass to the left.

Be interesting to hear how it is on football Saturdays this fall!

The traffic lights on 29 north of Charlottesville were far more frustrating than I ever remember in the past. Very nerve-wracking drive because the traffic today was heavy and there was an excessive amount of tailgating going on. We went that way today because I understandably didn't want to fight I-95 on a summer Sunday afternoon. It made the final two hours of our drive back from Florida by far the least pleasant part of what was otherwise largely a very easy trip! (Aside from a brief scare in Georgia when some guy ahead of us on a two-lane road was either drunk, senile, or distracted....he was driving on the wrong side of the road multiple times and ran oncoming cars off the road. I was hanging WAY back and couldn't get his plate number to call the police.)

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2016, 07:45:32 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 16, 2016, 06:37:45 AM

We drove through the Rio Road interchange today on northbound Route 29. Should be a nice change once people get used to it. But it was somewhat frustrating today because there weren't enough advance overhead signs telling people which lanes to use, just one set of signs right at the interchange. Led to a lot of extremely slow driving and last-minute lane-changing. Charlottesville drivers have never seemed to deal very well with new traffic patterns anyway, and this is a big change. It was apparent to me from a portable VMS that if you "exit" up the ramp to Rio Road, you can continue on 29, seeing as how the ramp is marked as "LOCAL." The portable VMS said to use the "LOCAL" route to go to Albemarle Square. But people naturally panicked when they saw the new underpass to the left.

Be interesting to hear how it is on football Saturdays this fall!

I agree the lack of advance-signage is a problem.  I think the last minute lane changing will hopefully reduce somewhat once the locals realize that they can stay on US 29 easily via the ramp (and really only have to deal with one more traffic light around a whole bunch of them that have been around for years).  Obviously long-distance travelers will probably continue to do last-minute lane changing due to the lack of knowledge of the area and the odd configuration.

LM117

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2016, 07:45:32 PMThe traffic lights on 29 north of Charlottesville were far more frustrating than I ever remember in the past. Very nerve-wracking drive because the traffic today was heavy and there was an excessive amount of tailgating going on.

Too bad the I-83 extension proposal from Baltimore to Greensboro, NC wasn't given the time of day.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

1995hoo

Quote from: LM117 on July 31, 2016, 08:55:51 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2016, 07:45:32 PMThe traffic lights on 29 north of Charlottesville were far more frustrating than I ever remember in the past. Very nerve-wracking drive because the traffic today was heavy and there was an excessive amount of tailgating going on.

Too bad the I-83 extension proposal from Baltimore to Greensboro, NC wasn't given the time of day.

I don't know, I kind of like the part south of Charlottesville the way it is, though I'd prefer a consistent 65- to 70-mph speed limit (depending on what stretch of road). I suppose some parts north of Lynchburg are appropriate at 60 due to poor sight lines, though. Anyway, as a non-Interstate it's not particularly busy (except near Lynchburg) and it's a relatively relaxing drive that's fairly scenic. Making it an Interstate would make it much busier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.