News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 11, 2016, 01:44:38 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 10, 2016, 04:40:02 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 07, 2016, 06:55:13 AM
There is a public hearing December 6th for planned safety improvements on US 15/17/29 just north of Opal.

Not directly related, however, VDOT plans this month to close the frontage road (old US 17 SB) to actually force traffic to use the loop ramp.  The Sheetz at the intersection seems concerned though.

I have not been that way for a while, but that Sheetz in Opal is one of the biggest I have seen anywhere, and I can understand that they would be unhappy with anything that might reduce patronage, especially from trips following U.S. 17 southbound, since it sounds like this change would make that Sheetz very difficult to gain access to and then return  to 17 southbound toward Fredericksburg.

I understand that.  I drove through here Tuesday Night around 7 PM and still saw traffic in the left-turn lane back at the intersection back-up into the left lane of US 15/17/29 SB.  (I stayed to the right and took the ramp.)  I also saw portable message signs mentioning the traffic pattern change next week.

EDIT:  Intersection change postponed to Friday.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Mapmikey

VDOT has another Then and Now video - 1948 in downtown Richmond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDSBpCCX2P4

No route shields as the video was mostly Grace St and Belvidere before it became part of the primary system.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 24, 2016, 08:15:35 PM

No route shields as the video was mostly Grace St and Belvidere before it became part of the primary system.
Strange how Grace Street got downsized from 4 lanes to 2 lanes. I consider it a major street because it bisects the whole city north of the James River.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 24, 2016, 08:33:37 PM

Strange how Grace Street got downsized from 4 lanes to 2 lanes. I consider it a major street because it bisects the whole city north of the James River.

It's equally interesting how Belvidere Street has changed from 2 lanes undivided to 6 lanes divided, though I imagine that came with US 1/US 301 being routed that way.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 24, 2016, 10:33:50 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on November 24, 2016, 08:33:37 PM

It's equally interesting how Belvidere Street has changed from 2 lanes undivided to 6 lanes divided, though I imagine that came with US 1/US 301 being routed that way.

Actually Belvidere St., as well as the original Lee Bridge, was 4 lanes (still undivided though). US 1 has been routed on this since the 1930's, with US 301 coming not long after. When Belvidere was extended north of Broad Street to connect with Chamberlyne Ave (late 1958), that extension was built as 6 lanes and 1/301 was routed over that as well. The original portion south of Broad didn't become 6 lanes until 1989 when the newer Lee Bridge was completed.
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Following up on my prior comment from August earlier in this thread (quoted below for reference), does anyone have any routing thoughts on the various options between Roanoke/I-81 and Meadows of Dan? We're heading to Primland in about a month for Christmas. The area south of US-460 between US-29 and I-77 is all new territory for me except for a small segment of US-52 near Hillsville that I used to avoid an accident-related backup once, so I have no feel for which routes would be the most interesting or worthwhile to drive on our way down or back. In one direction I plan to use US-360 to or from Richmond to knock off a good chunk of what I have remaining on that route and to revisit some places I haven't passed through in about 20 years. I figure for the other direction we may use either I-81 or US-340, and I just don't have much of a feel for which routes are worth considering to connect from the Interstate down to Meadows of Dan. I'm not sure we'd use the Blue Ridge Parkway, though, just because I understand it's a much slower drive.

Clinches aren't an issue, I won't be clinching anything on this trip except maybe I-195 (I'm somehow missing two small pieces of that road). So I'm mainly interested in whether anyone has any recommendations on routes that are particularly scenic, fun to drive, or otherwise interesting (including things like cutouts or the like).

Thanks in advance. Again, I didn't want to ask this on the "Road Trips" forum because it's so Virginia-specific.

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2016, 08:15:42 PM
This thread seems like the best place to ask this. My wife is interested in going to Primland for Christmas. See map link below. Has anyone been down there? If so, how are the roads likely to be at that time of year (recognizing of course you never know what it might do at any given time)? I guess my thought is, is it reasonable to try to drive there at Christmas in a front-wheel-drive sedan with all-season tires? I'm less concerned about US-58 than I am about the roads after you turn off there.

Dropped Pin
near Busted Rock Rd, Meadows of Dan, VA 24120
https://goo.gl/maps/cy9tZ458FBs

(Edited to fix a typo)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

You may want to visit the town of Floyd (intersection of US 221 and VA 8).  The Floyd Country Store is an interesting place to walk through briefly even when there are no events (they even have square dancing on Friday nights (admission is $5), I went a couple times in 2012 while I was in college).  Just make sure you have cash if you plan to get something there.  Also VA 8 is a decent route between Floyd and Christiansburg with a mostly 55 mph speed limit (last I remembered) except around Riner.  Otherwise I am not very familiar with US 221 between Roanoke and Hillsville if at all.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

noelbotevera

On the topic of Richmond, does any historical photos showing the construction of I-95 next to Main Street Station exist? Ones I can find either predate or postdate the construction, or show it as flooded because of Hurricane Agnes.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

cpzilliacus

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 25, 2016, 10:55:29 AM
On the topic of Richmond, does any historical photos showing the construction of I-95 next to Main Street Station exist? Ones I can find either predate or postdate the construction, or show it as flooded because of Hurricane Agnes.

I do not have any  such photographs, but remember that I-95 through Richmond was built as the pre-Interstate Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike (detolled about 1992).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 25, 2016, 10:59:07 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on November 25, 2016, 10:55:29 AM

I do not have any  such photographs, but remember that I-95 through Richmond was built as the pre-Interstate Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike (detolled about 1992).
Thanks. I found a couple that seem interesting.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 25, 2016, 11:53:47 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/52/8c/43/528c439626d0d11265d75a97c4d4bab0.jpg

That's a great picture of the Turnpike bridge crossing the James River under construction.

Remember the crash-prone toll barrier (for southbound traffic) on the RTP just south of this bridge? Was that the Falling Creek barrier?

More pictures of the RTP under construction from the Richmond Times-Dispatch here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

Regarding Hoo's follow-up and 74/171's response, I found the descent on US 221 into Roanoke to be interesting.  A few different ways to get back to NoVA from Roanoke as well...

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on November 25, 2016, 03:49:30 PM
Regarding Hoo's follow-up and 74/171's response, I found the descent on US 221 into Roanoke to be interesting.  A few different ways to get back to NoVA from Roanoke as well...

I drove 221 northbound from Hillsville to Roanoke back in the summer. The descent is interesting. Probably a faster route, though from Hillsville is VA 100 to I-81. If you really want to get adventurous and go out of the way, take VA 100 all the way to Pearisburg and then US 460 over to Christiansburg.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Thanks. Sounds like that may be a better option on the way home if it's the descent that's interesting. Looking at a map, I'm thinking perhaps we can then stop at Natural Bridge since I've never been there, and then depending on the time perhaps we can take US-340 from its southern terminus all the way to I-66 to finish the clinch. (Not sure that'll be practical since the trip home will be on a Tuesday and we'll have to work the next day.)

Mapmikey

VA 8's crossing of the Blue Ridge Pkwy is not too bad.  If you see VA 40 on the map as a way back east, just know that despite the lack of elevation change it is VERY twisty until nearly Ferrum...and very quiet.

US 340 is scenic for most of it, even during the winter.  Also scenic is US 11-460 between Christiansburg and Salem.

Your only chance for cutouts in these areas is if the ones at the main Hillsville intersection are still up (some in all 4 directions as of July 2016 GMSV); also there is only one left in Roanoke as of Nov 2015 - VA 116 NB between US 11A-460 and VA 101 (the VA 24 and VA 115 cutouts are gone); only 2 are left in Christiansburg AFAIK - US 460 Bus WB a couple blocks from US 11 and US 11-460 Bus EB after turning off Main St. 

At least some of the US 221 assemblies like the one below are up as of Sept 2015 GSMV

And this one on 221 SB south of Dugspur...

Standard disclaimers about everything being replaced with modern signage...

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 25, 2016, 12:58:02 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on November 25, 2016, 11:53:47 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/52/8c/43/528c439626d0d11265d75a97c4d4bab0.jpg

That's a great picture of the Turnpike bridge crossing the James River under construction.

Remember the crash-prone toll barrier (for southbound traffic) on the RTP just south of this bridge? Was that the Falling Creek barrier?

More pictures of the RTP under construction from the Richmond Times-Dispatch here.

The Falling Creek plaza was immediately south of the original VA 150 interchange overpass (this was about 500 ft south of the VA 895-150 through lanes overpass).  Historic Aerials show this to be the first plaza south of the James River.  The Maury St interchange is immediately south of the bridge...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 25, 2016, 08:09:28 PM
The Falling Creek plaza was immediately south of the original VA 150 interchange overpass (this was about 500 ft south of the VA 895-150 through lanes overpass).  Historic Aerials show this to be the first plaza south of the James River.  The Maury St interchange is immediately south of the bridge...

Might also have been the barrier on the I-95/I-64 segment just north of Belvidere Street (present-day Exit  76B). That was, if memory serves, the first barrier for I-95 traffic (and the only  barrier for I-64 movements).

It had a lot of massive signs warning of the toll barrier ahead on the southbound side of the  Turnpike. 

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 25, 2016, 08:00:11 PM
VA 8's crossing of the Blue Ridge Pkwy is not too bad.  If you see VA 40 on the map as a way back east, just know that despite the lack of elevation change it is VERY twisty until nearly Ferrum...and very quiet.

US 340 is scenic for most of it, even during the winter.  Also scenic is US 11-460 between Christiansburg and Salem.

Your only chance for cutouts in these areas is if the ones at the main Hillsville intersection are still up (some in all 4 directions as of July 2016 GMSV); also there is only one left in Roanoke as of Nov 2015 - VA 116 NB between US 11A-460 and VA 101 (the VA 24 and VA 115 cutouts are gone); only 2 are left in Christiansburg AFAIK - US 460 Bus WB a couple blocks from US 11 and US 11-460 Bus EB after turning off Main St. 

Thanks. I doubt we'll go as far as Hillsville. It's out of the way, and while I'd like to knock off the last two segments of two-digit Interstate I have left in Virginia (I-77 north of I-81 and I-64 west of Clifton Forge), it'd be too far out of the way to do that on this trip and I think it'd probably be more interesting to explore the non-Interstates down that way.

74/171FAN

Virginian-Pilot:  On the chopping block: Laskin Road feeder lanes in Virginia Beach

QuoteThis fall, the Public Works Department submitted an application with three projects for SMART Scale, a state transportation funding program, in hopes of landing millions of dollars. Laskin Road was No. 1 for the city. If selected, funding would be allocated beginning in fiscal year 2018, and construction could begin in 2021, according to Paula Miller, VDOT spokeswoman.

The City Council will provide $14.1 million and is requesting $15 million in state funding for the first phase of road improvements.

It includes transforming two miles of Laskin Road through the Hilltop area into an eight-lane divided highway, improving the Laskin-First Colonial Road intersection and creating a six-lane divided highway on First Colonial from Laurel Lane to Interstate 264.

QuoteThe Laskin Road project will include 14-foot wide outside lanes for cyclists and a 10-foot-wide shared-use path on one side of the roadway with a 5-foot-wide sidewalk on the other side.

I guess the bigger question is if US 58 will still be posted.

plain

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 28, 2016, 08:29:59 PM
Virginian-Pilot:  On the chopping block: Laskin Road feeder lanes in Virginia Beach

QuoteThis fall, the Public Works Department submitted an application with three projects for SMART Scale, a state transportation funding program, in hopes of landing millions of dollars. Laskin Road was No. 1 for the city. If selected, funding would be allocated beginning in fiscal year 2018, and construction could begin in 2021, according to Paula Miller, VDOT spokeswoman.

The City Council will provide $14.1 million and is requesting $15 million in state funding for the first phase of road improvements.

It includes transforming two miles of Laskin Road through the Hilltop area into an eight-lane divided highway, improving the Laskin-First Colonial Road intersection and creating a six-lane divided highway on First Colonial from Laurel Lane to Interstate 264.

QuoteThe Laskin Road project will include 14-foot wide outside lanes for cyclists and a 10-foot-wide shared-use path on one side of the roadway with a 5-foot-wide sidewalk on the other side.

I guess the bigger question is if US 58 will still be posted.

FINALLY!!! Those service lanes were nothing but a pain. It's about time they decided to change Laskin to match the rest of US 58 in Virginia Beach. I used to use it from I-264 to get to the northern part of the resort area without having to deal with the traffic and stoplights on the middle part of Atlantic Ave... not the biggest improvement driving wise and it will be much better once this improvement becomes reality. I still remember the ones that existed on Mercury Blvd (US 258) in Hampton. Total nightmare... glad they're gone too

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on November 28, 2016, 09:06:36 PM
FINALLY!!! Those service lanes were nothing but a pain. It's about time they decided to change Laskin to match the rest of US 58 in Virginia Beach. I used to use it from I-264 to get to the northern part of the resort area without having to deal with the traffic and stoplights on the middle part of Atlantic Ave... not the biggest improvement driving wise and it will be much better once this improvement becomes reality. I still remember the ones that existed on Mercury Blvd (US 258) in Hampton. Total nightmare... glad they're gone too

Curiously, the ones on Laskin Road remind me of U.S. 50 (Arlington Boulevard) in Fairfax County, which has similar lanes that have never worked especially well in terms of moving traffic, though where there are homes fronting on Arlington Boulevard, they give the residents more of a "home street" feeling than they would otherwise have.

plain

Just saw on the news that the MLK Expressway extension is set to open tomorrow (11/30/16)!! The report showed aerial coverage of it and a BGS was shown displaying "TOLL US 58" on the viaduct. I thought VA 164 would've went on this segment...

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 29, 2016, 10:50:08 AM
Quote from: plain on November 28, 2016, 09:06:36 PM

Curiously, the ones on Laskin Road remind me of U.S. 50 (Arlington Boulevard) in Fairfax County, which has similar lanes that have never worked especially well in terms of moving traffic, though where there are homes fronting on Arlington Boulevard, they give the residents more of a "home street" feeling than they would otherwise have.

The problem with the ones on Laskin is that they are lined with businesses instead, added to the fact that there are no slip ramps, which makes it even more daunting to navigate especially during heavy shopping and dining periods. I love how those on US 50 are set up though.

74/171FAN

Quote from: plain on November 29, 2016, 06:29:17 PM
Just saw on the news that the MLK Expressway extension is set to open tomorrow (11/30/16)!! The report showed aerial coverage of it and a BGS was shown displaying "TOLL US 58" on the viaduct. I thought VA 164 would've went on this segment...

Cross-posted to this thread.

Also the variable speed limits on I-77 at Fancy Gap Mountain are now in place.  The speed limits can vary from 30 mph to 65 mph based on visibility being less than 650 feet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.