News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 03, 2017, 08:59:05 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 03, 2017, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: plain on March 02, 2017, 11:39:35 PM
The Pocahontas Pkwy's tolls are increasing yet again on March 16th

http://wtvr.com/2017/02/24/pocahontas-parkway-tolls-to-increase-in-march/

And I'm sure the traffic counts will drop even more, accordingly.

You are probably right.  Even the far west end of the Dulles Greenway, VA-267 (not a cheap road to drive on) carries quite a bit more traffic than any part of VA-895.  I suppose for some drivers, VA-895 is a worthwhile way to avoid I-95 through Richmond, and it also provides a fast way to reach the airport from VA-150 and a large slice of Chesterfield County.

It's a shame because it really is the fastest way to get to the airport if you're south of the river (especially since the Airport Drive Extension/VA 281 opened). North of the river you're still better off using I-64 or even I-295 to VA 156.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

After I saw the article I dug into the 'net and came across this using Google Books. There's a lot more behind the Pocahontas than I even realized before. This one is not a pdf so you don't have to worry about that but it's still a long read. It starts in the middle so you might want to scroll to the top first for anyone interested in it

https://books.google.com/books?id=E8c1AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA211&lpg=PA211&dq=richmond+petersburg+turnpike&source=bl&ots=_jbhwhjE2H&sig=uTdbveKyzdGmmHvcZzli19Ev_TI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB05CQxbnSAhUBYCYKHd06ARE4ChDoAQgrMAY
Newark born, Richmond bred

froggie

Quote from: WillWeaverRVAAnd I'm sure the traffic counts will drop even more, accordingly.

I looked back over VDOT traffic volume statistics for 2003-2015 (most recent year available), and (keeping in mind that volumes over 10K are rounded to the nearest 1K), the only years that showed a decrease were 2009 (likely due to the recession), 2011, and 2013.  As of 2015, traffic west of Laburnum is at its highest level ever, while traffic east of Laburnum (always low) has almost built itself back up to it's 2008 pre-recession level.

LM117

The "Future I-785" signs are no longer posted on US-29 around Danville.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Are there plans to turn U.S. 58 into a interstate? This article mentions something about it...?

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Republican-candidates-for-Virginia-Governor-share-views-in-Franklin-County-415614813.html

froggie

Nothing at an official or statewide level as far as we know.  Given what the article discusses, it's likely just "politicians talk".

Strider

Quote from: froggie on March 08, 2017, 12:27:50 PM
Nothing at an official or statewide level as far as we know.  Given what the article discusses, it's likely just "politicians talk".

That is what I thought... I won't be surprised if they are trying to push U.S. 58 to be a interstate. isn't that road like 500+ miles in Virginia?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Strider on March 08, 2017, 12:10:11 PM
Are there plans to turn U.S. 58 into a interstate? This article mentions something about it...?

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Republican-candidates-for-Virginia-Governor-share-views-in-Franklin-County-415614813.html

I doubt that this is going to happen. 

Indeed, I suspect that there will be no big push on infrastructure at all for the next several years - at least at the federal level. 

And there's probably not enough traffic in most of the U.S. 58 corridor to make this attractive as a Public-Private Transportation Act project either.  Maybe east of I-95 or I-85, but that's it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

This post is not meant to imply endorsement or lack of endorsement of this candidate or any other candidate...

I don't think he meant the entirety of US 58...but I could be wrong about that

From his facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/FrankWagnerforGovernor/videos/1326064947456529/) here are the transportation related priorities he listed (#5-7 were not transportation related):

Check out my 7 Point Plan to reinvigorate the economy of Southside, Virginia.
1. Create an Inland Rail port in Pittsylvania County
2. Upgrade Route 58 to Interstate Quality
3. Upgrade Route 220
4. Start Construction of Interstate 73

The accompanying video only restates the list only with a still picture - no audio to further explain.

For example, is #3 entirely separate from #4?  Or does he mean US 220 north of Roanoke?  Or north of Covington?

It only took 30 years to widen US 58 as part of the huge infrastructure endeavor set up to do specifically that.  Converting the non-bypasses of US 58 into an interstate would be very expensive unless the plan would be to just tear down all the residences and businesses that have driveways.  Then it would just be expensive.  So I can't see this meaning all of it.

Strider

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 08, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
This post is not meant to imply endorsement or lack of endorsement of this candidate or any other candidate...

I don't think he meant the entirety of US 58...but I could be wrong about that

From his facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/FrankWagnerforGovernor/videos/1326064947456529/) here are the transportation related priorities he listed (#5-7 were not transportation related):

Check out my 7 Point Plan to reinvigorate the economy of Southside, Virginia.
1. Create an Inland Rail port in Pittsylvania County
2. Upgrade Route 58 to Interstate Quality
3. Upgrade Route 220
4. Start Construction of Interstate 73

The accompanying video only restates the list only with a still picture - no audio to further explain.

For example, is #3 entirely separate from #4?  Or does he mean US 220 north of Roanoke?  Or north of Covington?

It only took 30 years to widen US 58 as part of the huge infrastructure endeavor set up to do specifically that.  Converting the non-bypasses of US 58 into an interstate would be very expensive unless the plan would be to just tear down all the residences and businesses that have driveways.  Then it would just be expensive.  So I can't see this meaning all of it.

Ah I see.. just wondering. Thank you for sharing the link. I was surprised when it mentions something like this. From I-95 to I-85.. I could see it, but I never been on U.S. 58 west of I-85 with the exception of Martinsville and Danville areas (multiplex with US 29 and US 220), so I don't know how traffic is like out there. But you are correct, money would be a HUGE issue.

AlexandriaVA

I see he's peddling the old myth that a down economy is the result of insufficient roads, as opposed to low worker productivity.

LM117

US-58 isn't that bad with traffic in general, but I've encountered a lot of semis that like to play leapfrog for miles on end.

I definitely like the idea of upgrading US-58 and, at the risk of getting chairs thrown at me, I wouldn't mind seeing it go as far as I-81, linking it with the Port of Virginia in Norfolk. However, some of the small speed traps towns would need to be bypassed and I suspect there would be a lot of opposition to the idea.

Either way, I don't expect VA to pursue any new interstates anytime soon, if ever. The state so far has shown little to zero interest in I-73, with the exception of Martinsville and Roanoke, and Hampton Roads wouldn't be on Future I-87's corridor if it wasn't for NC.

LM117

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 08, 2017, 01:52:15 PM
I see he's peddling the old myth that a down economy is the result of insufficient roads, as opposed to low worker productivity.

There are cases where piss-poor infrastructure does have a negative effect on a region's economy. Perhaps not the sole reason, but it can definitely be a contributing factor.

cpzilliacus

Areas that are isolated from the Interstate system (or "near-Interstate" highways, such as the  ADHS corridors in  many states) are just not going to get considered for new economic activity, with  possible exceptions for large prison complexes, and maybe deposits of natural resources (many coal towns in the past). 

Stated another way, access to the highway system (and in some cases major airports) is a prerequisite for economic development. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

Take a look at Binghamton, NY.  Interstate access isn't a guarantee of economic activity, either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

QuoteTake a look at Binghamton, NY.  Interstate access isn't a guarantee of economic activity, either.

Or the Meridian, MS area...

It's true that some look at Interstate access as a consideration for economic development, but as some of the automobile companies locating plants in the Southeast have learned the hard way, you also need an educated/skilled work force.

Mapmikey

Quote from: LM117 on March 08, 2017, 01:54:01 PM

I definitely like the idea of upgrading US-58 and, at the risk of getting chairs thrown at me, I wouldn't mind seeing it go as far as I-81, linking it with the Port of Virginia in Norfolk. However, some of the small speed traps towns would need to be bypassed and I suspect there would be a lot of opposition to the idea.

Ever been on US 58 between Damascus and VA 16?  The terrain here is quite foreboding.  Upgrading this section alone to even a modern 2-lane road would be monumental.  I have seen somewhere (but cannot find) a study that suggested the best route would be a new-terrain route that had significant pieces in North Carolina.  Can't imagine NC footing the bill for a pricey mountain freeway that would have nearly no benefit to NC.

The only project I could find in the Route 58 Development universe in this area involves improving the secondary route connection from US 58 to Taylors Valley.  Nothing in VTrans2035 either that I noticed...

Jmiles32

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 08, 2017, 08:06:11 PM

Ever been on US 58 between Damascus and VA 16?  The terrain here is quite foreboding.  Upgrading this section alone to even a modern 2-lane road would be monumental.  I have seen somewhere (but cannot find) a study that suggested the best route would be a new-terrain route that had significant pieces in North Carolina.  Can't imagine NC footing the bill for a pricey mountain freeway that would have nearly no benefit to NC.

The only project I could find in the Route 58 Development universe in this area involves improving the secondary route connection from US 58 to Taylors Valley.  Nothing in VTrans2035 either that I noticed...

http://www.heraldcourier.com/community/route-hard-to-tame/article_7ceefb7a-8197-11e5-a0e2-7fcaea4fa93c.html
Basically all that's left to be done in the Route 58 Corridor Development Program is to finish widening US-58 between Hillsville and Laural Fork(8 miles), Meadows of Dan and Stuart(12 miles), and Phase IV in the widening from Abington to Damascus(4 miles). Although I would personally like it if US-58 was four lanes from US-23(Duffield) to Jonesville, I realize this is highly unlikely due to a high number of homes and business located directly off US-58 near Jonesville. This would then require an expensive bypass, which I'm sure would be immediately shot down by environmentalists. Speaking of the environment, according to the article above, the environment is main reason why US-58 will never be upgraded/widened from Independence to Damascus. A four laned US-58 from I-77 to Virginia Beach is fine by me, as from Hillsville to Bristol I-77 to I-81 is faster anyway.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

LM117

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 08, 2017, 08:06:11 PM

Nope, I can't say I have. I've only driven it from Martinsville to I-664. It was just an idea that looked good on paper. Not one of my better ideas, apparently. :pan:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
Take a look at Binghamton, NY.  Interstate access isn't a guarantee of economic activity, either.

I  have some familiarity with Binghamton, and I agree with you.  But places that are isolated from good highways (and that generally means 4 lane divided arterial highways) will literally get bypassed for consideration. 

hbelkins

It's my understanding that the Alternate US 58 corridor from Abingdon through Norton to Jonesville is supposed to be the preferred corridor, not "plain" US 58 through Bristol, Gate City and Duffield.

For a complete southern four-lane corridor, the best option is to widen US 58 east of Independence to VA 16, then VA 16 from there to Marion and I-81. I would then extend Alternate US 58 eastward along I-81 from Abingdon to Marion, and then along VA 16 to intersect US 58 at .... (name of small community escapes me but I think it's Volney.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

VTGoose

"low worker productivity"? What the hell does this mean? Southside Virginia wasn't done in by lazy workers, but by companies that were more interested in profits than quality. Furniture and textile factories were shuttered (and workers put out of jobs) when China became the preferred location to manufacture sofas, nightstands, and bedsheets. Transportation had little to do with the demise of that area.

As to an inland rail port, one has to wonder what would be shipped to and from that port? Rail service is good and road access isn't bad, but there really isn't much to attract shippers to that location.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: VTGoose on March 09, 2017, 01:36:31 PM

"low worker productivity"? What the hell does this mean?

Modern industries tend to settle in areas with highly-productive workers (defined as output per unit of labor). That's why most high-wage/high-salary industries wind up clustering in the same metropolitan areas (northeast, bay area, etc).

cpzilliacus

As to an inland rail port, one has to wonder what would be shipped to and from that port? Rail service is good and road access isn't bad, but there really isn't much to attract shippers to that location.

This facility seems to serve a fair number of freight moves (located in the Great Valley of Virginia north of I-66 here).

VTGoose

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 09, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

This facility seems to serve a fair number of freight moves (located in the Great Valley of Virginia north of I-66 here).

The Virginia Inland Rail Port has been around for a long time and benefits from being close to and easily accessible from a variety of locations in nearby Maryland, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. I don't know the impact of Norfolk Southern opening an intermodal terminal in Pittsburgh; it may be that there are better shipping rates in and out of Hampton Roads vs. Philadelphia. The Southside terminal doesn't seem to have such an area to pull from (Roanoke and Lynchburg don't seem to be big on container traffic) and for North Carolina traffic it would seem to be cheaper/more direct to go southeast to Wilmington.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.