News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on February 25, 2018, 03:48:02 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 25, 2018, 02:54:57 PM
Wasn't Celebrate Virginia Parkway built on some of the Outer Connector's proposed routing/ROW?

The Outer Connector was proposed several miles north of there.

Line 4 was approved by VDOT, then Line 1 was approved by CTB, in 2002
-- https://tinyurl.com/ybnowfom

I believe this is the most recent reminiscent any potential Outer Connector(2013).
https://www.fampo.gwregion.org/wp-content/uploads/bypass.pdf
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

ixnay

Does anybody refer to VA 123 as "Route One-Two-Three".  My stepfather's brother (who lived in Vienna, VA, and RIP to both of you) always did, and my stepdad picked that up, but I've never heard anyone else call it that.

ixnay

Mapmikey

Wasn't Celebrate Virginia Parkway built on some of the Outer Connector's proposed routing/ROW?

Line 3 that was ultimately not selected is very close to the Celebrate Virginia Pkwy.

Line 1 would be very beneficial for VA 3 and would benefit local US 17 traffic only.   US 17's issues (at least southbound) are related to through traffic, though the 6-laning of US 17 north 2 miles has cut down on this congestion considerably and the Rappahannock Project will improve that even further.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ixnay on February 25, 2018, 03:57:16 PM
Does anybody refer to VA 123 as "Route One-Two-Three".  My stepfather's brother (who lived in Vienna, VA, and RIP to both of you) always did, and my stepdad picked that up, but I've never heard anyone else call it that.

Always referred to it as "one-twenty-three." 

This may be in part because VA-123 has so many names along its path.  From memory(!) but in order from south to north the names assigned to VA-123 are:

Prince William County
Gordon Boulevard

Fairfax County
Ox Road

City of Fairfax
Chain Bridge Road

Return to Fairfax County
Chain Bridge Road
Town of Vienna
Maple Avenue
Return to unincorporated Fairfax County
Chain Bridge Road
Dolley Madison Boulevard
Chain Bridge Road

Arlington County
Chain Bridge Road
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 25, 2018, 07:27:21 PM
Line 3 that was ultimately not selected is very close to the Celebrate Virginia Pkwy.
Line 1 would be very beneficial for VA 3 and would benefit local US 17 traffic only.   US 17's issues (at least southbound) are related to through traffic, though the 6-laning of US 17 north 2 miles has cut down on this congestion considerably and the Rappahannock Project will improve that even further.

VDOT staff chose Line 4 as the best solution that had minimal environmental impacts.  CTB made one of its rare overrides of a VDOT location selection and chose Line 1 as the best solution from a traffic standpoint, which would have included the direct extensibility to a future OC southwest quadrant, with the political decision that would have acquired 130 acres of privately held Lick Run battlefield land (a fairly prominent ACW action was fought there in the area around the proposed interchange with VA-3 and OC).

All of it went away when funding was removed around 2004.  Surely the RE/T groups would have sued in federal court over Line 1 if it advanced to a completed NEPA process, Final EIS and ROD.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

ixnay

Heard "Chain Bridge Road" more commonly when I lived in the area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on February 25, 2018, 10:06:52 PM

One-twenty-three.   That is what I have heard.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

ixnay

Problem with Chain Bridge Road is that the name runs along three different sections of VA-123.   Its "famous" parts are probably the segments through the City of Fairfax and through most of the downtown area of Tysons Corner. 

For added amusement, Chain Bridge Road runs parallel to the Dolley Madison Boulevard part of VA-123 as a much smaller road, having secondary system route numbers like 3547 and 3563. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on February 25, 2018, 10:21:13 PM

That is what VDOT and Fairfax County staff people used to call it.

Jmiles32

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 25, 2018, 10:33:50 PM

Agreed. One-twenty-three is what most of the locals called it back when I lived in Woodbridge. Similarly, VA-234 is commonly referred to as "Two-thirty-four".
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 25, 2018, 10:31:43 PM

ixnay

Problem with Chain Bridge Road is that the name runs along three different sections of VA-123.   Its "famous" parts are probably the segments through the City of Fairfax and through most of the downtown area of Tysons Corner. 

For added amusement, Chain Bridge Road runs parallel to the Dolley Madison Boulevard part of VA-123 as a much smaller road, having secondary system route numbers like 3547 and 3563.
Well, for the parts that were 123, that is what they called it when I lived in Falls Church.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 25, 2018, 11:08:19 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 25, 2018, 10:33:50 PM
Agreed. One-twenty-three is what most of the locals called it back when I lived in Woodbridge. Similarly, VA-234 is commonly referred to as "Two-thirty-four".

Pretty much the convention for any 3-digit route, state, U.S. or Interstate, name the first digit and then name the second two.  "Four-ninety-five".  "Two-seventy".  "Two-eleven".  "Three-ninety-five".

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Always heard "one twenty-three" and I seldom hear the street names unless someone wants to give additional info to pinpoint a location.

As Beltway notes, the same applies to Route "two thirty-six" (another that changes names–Duke Street, Little River Turnpike, Main Street, and perhaps North Street), although there I do hear the names more, especially Duke Street in Alexandria. I once knew a guy who referred to Route 236 as "Lert," as in sounding out "LRT," meaning "Little River Turnpike," but he was strange anyway.

The one exception I've heard to what Beltway notes is that I've heard some people pronounce the numbers individually (non-local example would be "four one seven") if there's a chance the two-digit part could be confused with something else due to sound (example, "seventeen" might sound like "seventy"). Odd thing is, it doesn't seem to matter whether a road with the other similar-sounding number is actually nearby, but it still makes sense to me so the person to whom you're giving verbal directions won't look for the wrong number. I'm accustomed to spelling my street's name for similar reasons–it starts with a "Th," but multiple people have heard it as a "Ph," so now I even say "'T' as in 'tango.'"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ixnay

I hope in eternity my stepuncle will tell me where he picked up "One-Two-Three".  I'm surprised NoVA locals don't use that phrase.

ixnay

Beltway

Quote from: ixnay on February 26, 2018, 09:23:47 PM
I hope in eternity my stepuncle will tell me where he picked up "One-Two-Three".  I'm surprised NoVA locals don't use that phrase.
ixnay

Either way is fine.  I've heard 911 said two ways, "Nine-one-one" and "Nine-eleven".

(Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

A few months back I posted a link on this thread to WTVR's story about the 25th anniversary of toll removal on the RPT. A few comments later I told cpzilliacus that I didn't know how much the toll was at the plaza where I-95 left the turnpike in Petersburg. Last night I found this photo in the Valentine Museum's archives of the plaza (naturally there's a wreck). It looks to be right after the reconstruction of the I-85/US 301 interchanges.

What is "No Scrip"? Are they talking about the toll tickets?

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

Takumi

I thought Austin Powers was frozen when that generation of Nova was new.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: plain on February 28, 2018, 11:52:16 AM
A few months back I posted a link on this thread to WTVR's story about the 25th anniversary of toll removal on the RPT. A few comments later I told cpzilliacus that I didn't know how much the toll was at the plaza where I-95 left the turnpike in Petersburg. Last night I found this photo in the Valentine Museum's archives of the plaza (naturally there's a wreck). It looks to be right after the reconstruction of the I-85/US 301 interchanges.

What is "No Scrip"? Are they talking about the toll tickets?

SM-S820L

I would presume that "scrip" means paper money. In other words, coins only.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Huh.  Didn't think of it as paper money.

There was a legendary time over a decade ago when NY state employees were paid in "scrip" -- essentially an IOU to your bank supplied by the State.  Maybe it is saying no IOUs?

Bitmapped

Traditionally, scrip was a form of money paid by employers (normally coal companies) that was only usable at that company's stores. It was normally a custom coin made for the particular company.

cpzilliacus

Did the RPT have pre-paid books of toll tickets that were sold at a discount from the posted toll (and sometimes with an expiration date)?

I think that's what may be "scrip" on the sign in this image may refer to.  I  always paid cash when drove the RPT, since I did not use it all that often. 

Rothman

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 28, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Traditionally, scrip was a form of money paid by employers (normally coal companies) that was only usable at that company's stores. It was normally a custom coin made for the particular company.
True, too.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 28, 2018, 04:26:55 PM
Did the RPT have pre-paid books of toll tickets that were sold at a discount from the posted toll (and sometimes with an expiration date)?
I think that's what may be "scrip" on the sign in this image may refer to.  I  always paid cash when drove the RPT, since I did not use it all that often. 

Yes, I still have a couple books of toll tickets.  They were only usable at a manned toll booth, you handed the ticket to the person.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Southbound I-95 remains closed in Dale City due to the Potomac Mills Mall sign leaning over due to wind damage–they want to make sure it can't fall into the highway. Tolls have been waived on the HO/T lanes, but traffic in the mainline must exit at the Prince William Parkway.

Twitter has some pictures, but they're kind of grainy.

Edited to add: VDOT says I-95 will not reopen until winds are consistently below 13 mph to allow a crane to remove the sign! I found this photo from the highway.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2018, 10:44:01 AM
Southbound I-95 remains closed in Dale City due to the Potomac Mills Mall sign leaning over due to wind damage–they want to make sure it can't fall into the highway. Tolls have been waived on the HO/T lanes, but traffic in the mainline must exit at the Prince William Parkway.

How high were the winds?  That would take some very high winds to bend a structure like that.

CBBTD reported gusts up to 75 mph there yesterday.  Those are the kinds of velocities that could damage a sign like that..

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.