News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2019, 11:50:51 PM
Quote from: famartin on May 20, 2019, 11:38:43 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2019, 09:19:23 PM
I think it's personally best to have rumble strips regardless of passing zone or not. It alerts you if you veer over, and when you go to perform a pass in a passing zone, the rumble strips fully alert you when you cross over and when you go back over. Just because there's broken lines doesn't mean rumble strips should disappear.

That's my opinion anyways. Then again, most of my rural 2-lane road driving has taken place in Texas (where rumble strips exist constantly, 13 - 14 foot lanes, 10 foot paved shoulders, higher speed limits, etc) rather than Virginia, so maybe I'm just to it there.

The lack of paved shoulders on the undivided state highways is definitely a "thing"  here in VA. They are much more common in MD and NJ.
I see that now looking on Google Maps. I've not done much driving up northeast, so I'm not too accustomed to the roads up that way. I would assume the speeds are still 55 MPH though, even with the higher road design, just because of it's geographical location.

Down in Texas, which naturally has higher speeds because of it's location, have 70 - 75 MPH on most two-lane. I even know a few that are designed like Virginia roads (12 foot lanes, 4 foot paved shoulder) that are posted at 70 MPH. Then again, they're also much straighter.

Yes, in fact in NJ it's usually 50 (not that many actually follow the limit). In NV 70 is also common on the rural 2 laners, even some with limited shoulders. Most there are also very straight except thru the mtns.

Mapmikey

2018 VDOT Traffic Data is out...

Didn't see any new route designations...however it shows updated data for VA 337 ALT in Portsmouth on the Harbor Drive segment that was obliterated and is now the footprint of VA 164 ML King Freeway (which itself does not have traffic data).  I may e-mail VDOT about that...

LM117

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 20, 2019, 09:01:32 PM
I'm positive I've been on roads that had rumble strips where there was a double yellow line and no rumble strip where there was a passing zone, though I can't recall what road(s) had that.

The rumble strips here are also in the passing zones. It's just one long, non-stop line of them. From what I could see in the parking lot, it actually continues even further northbound on VA-41 past the Dollar General I mentioned. I've never driven further past that DG, so I don't know exactly how far it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if it went all the way to Callands. I drive VA-41 almost everyday since I live on a side road off of it in the Dry Fork area, so that's how I know it was done very recently. They blacked out the yellow lines, rumble stripped them, and repainted the lines.

EDIT: There's small gaps at intersections with side roads, but that's all.

Quote from: jakeroot on May 20, 2019, 08:57:47 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 20, 2019, 08:08:20 PM
That's one way to discourage passing, I suppose...

I think the primary purpose is to alarm drivers, who might be drowsy or inattentive.

Probably, but the strips aren't good for tires if you're gaining speed while attempting to pass. That's why I think it will discourage passing, even if it's not the intention. That said, I hardly ever pass on VA-41, so it doesn't really affect me much.

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2019, 09:19:23 PM
I think it's personally best to have rumble strips regardless of passing zone or not. It alerts you if you veer over, and when you go to perform a pass in a passing zone, the rumble strips fully alert you when you cross over and when you go back over. Just because there's broken lines doesn't mean rumble strips should disappear.

I disagree for the reason I gave jakeroot. I think there should be gaps in the passing zones.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 21, 2019, 06:37:51 AM
2018 VDOT Traffic Data is out...

Didn't see any new route designations...however it shows updated data for VA 337 ALT in Portsmouth on the Harbor Drive segment that was obliterated and is now the footprint of VA 164 ML King Freeway (which itself does not have traffic data).  I may e-mail VDOT about that...

Yeah, it seems a little odd to have traffic data for a road that doesn't exist...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jakeroot

Quote from: LM117 on May 21, 2019, 09:22:15 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 20, 2019, 08:57:47 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 20, 2019, 08:08:20 PM
That's one way to discourage passing, I suppose...

I think the primary purpose is to alarm drivers, who might be drowsy or inattentive.

Probably, but the strips aren't good for tires if you're gaining speed while attempting to pass. That's why I think it will discourage passing, even if it's not the intention. That said, I hardly ever pass on VA-41, so it doesn't really affect me much.

I don't disagree. I'm sure there are plenty of drivers who may associate rumble strips with "no passing" zones.

In WA, we use raised rib markings very often, and those feel like rumble strips when you drive over them. I'm guessing this sort of liberal usage of bumpy pavement markings is why you still see rumble strips in passing zones here, and perhaps why the various transport agencies in WA aren't necessarily afraid to use rumble strips even where passing is permitted.

sprjus4

ARLINGTON, Va. — At its May meeting, the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) took action on the renaming of U.S. Route 1 and Virginia Route 110 within the County of Arlington from "Jefferson Davis Highway"  to "Richmond Highway,"  as requested by the county. In a letter of support by Governor Ralph Northam for the renaming, read aloud at the meeting by Secretary of Transportation Shannon Valentine, Governor Northam said of the road's current name, "While it is necessary for us to honestly discuss and interpret Virginia's history, I feel strongly that commemorating the president of the Confederacy through the name of a major thoroughfare is not appropriate."  He continued, "[w]ith this change, the name of Route 1 will be Richmond Highway from Fairfax County to the Potomac River."
http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/statewide/2019/ctb-renames-jefferson-davis-highway-in-arlington-county--names-amherst-county-bridge-after-fallen-trooper--approves-round-3-sm5-15-2019.asp

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 21, 2019, 05:00:48 PM
ARLINGTON, Va. — At its May meeting, the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) took action on the renaming of U.S. Route 1 and Virginia Route 110 within the County of Arlington from "Jefferson Davis Highway"  to "Richmond Highway,"  as requested by the county. In a letter of support by Governor Ralph Northam for the renaming, read aloud at the meeting by Secretary of Transportation Shannon Valentine, Governor Northam said of the road's current name, "While it is necessary for us to honestly discuss and interpret Virginia's history, I feel strongly that commemorating the president of the Confederacy through the name of a major thoroughfare is not appropriate."  He continued, "[w]ith this change, the name of Route 1 will be Richmond Highway from Fairfax County to the Potomac River."
http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/statewide/2019/ctb-renames-jefferson-davis-highway-in-arlington-county--names-amherst-county-bridge-after-fallen-trooper--approves-round-3-sm5-15-2019.asp

Wouldn't be surprised if they continue to do that to other sections of US-1 too. Will be interesting to see if Lee Highway(US-29) and Lee-Jackson Highway(US-50) are next.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sprjus4

Quote from: Jmiles32 on May 21, 2019, 05:07:10 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 21, 2019, 05:00:48 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if they continue to do that to other sections of US-1 too. Will be interesting to see if Lee Highway(US-29) and Lee-Jackson Highway(US-50) are next.
Oh god, don't remind them of that.

1995hoo

He's wrong in that Route 1 won't be a continuous "Richmond Highway"  from Fairfax County to the river. In Old Town it's Patrick Street and Henry Street, and just north of Crystal City it merges onto Shirley Highway to the river.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 21, 2019, 06:36:51 PM
He's wrong in that Route 1 won't be a continuous "Richmond Highway"  from Fairfax County to the river. In Old Town it's Patrick Street and Henry Street, and just north of Crystal City it merges onto Shirley Highway to the river.

It will be a continuous Richmond Highway from the north end of route 110 in Rosslyn, to Patrick and Henry streets in Alexandria. The CTB included route 110 in its name change approval (but its Jeff Davis Hwy, signage was still there this weekend), as well as the part of US 1 in Arlington that isn't part of the Shirley Hwy.

Doesn't that depend on the affected county requesting a name change? Maybe some of the more urban counties where the Jeff Davis Hwy. remains will be motivated enough to make that request (such as Prince William County), especially if one side or the other thinks there's political advantage to making a fuss about it ahead of this year's elections for the state legislature and some county offices. But others won't care enough.

Less likely for highways with other names with less obvious Confederate associations. True, people moving to Northern Virginia catch on that the Lee-Jackson Highway isn't named for Spike Lee and Jesse Jackson :) Still, not as "in your face" as with Jefferson Davis.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Not trying to start anything, but just wondering - what was the issue with the comment I made?

jakeroot

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2019, 01:01:22 AM
Not trying to start anything, but just wondering - what was the issue with the comment I made?

Probably not enough context, so it was deemed in violation of this forum guideline: Posting graphic/inappropriate pictures or news that other members find offensive

But, I'm not a mod, so you'll have to message them directly for more info.

Thing 342

QuoteSome see it as a prime example of the politicization and mismanagement of transportation funding that led to the development of SmartScale, the state's new point-based scoring system for road projects. Others see the slow pace of work as just another example of Richmond neglecting the needs of Appalachia.
What? The hangup with the bridge opening was the portion to be built by Kentucky. The connection to VA 80 is already built and is ready to be used as soon as the KY portion opens.

Anyway, it's good to see Corridor Q progressing, even if it is moving at a glacial pace.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: oscar on May 21, 2019, 06:57:12 PM

It will be a continuous Richmond Highway from the north end of route 110 in Rosslyn, to Patrick and Henry streets in Alexandria. The CTB included route 110 in its name change approval (but its Jeff Davis Hwy, signage was still there this weekend), as well as the part of US 1 in Arlington that isn't part of the Shirley Hwy.

Doesn't that depend on the affected county requesting a name change? Maybe some of the more urban counties where the Jeff Davis Hwy. remains will be motivated enough to make that request (such as Prince William County), especially if one side or the other thinks there's political advantage to making a fuss about it ahead of this year's elections for the state legislature and some county offices. But others won't care enough.

Less likely for highways with other names with less obvious Confederate associations. True, people moving to Northern Virginia catch on that the Lee-Jackson Highway isn't named for Spike Lee and Jesse Jackson :) Still, not as "in your face" as with Jefferson Davis.

I think of the counties that still have US 1 designated as Jefferson Davis Highway, Prince William would likely be the only other one to make such a change and even then it'd be a long shot. I certainly don't see Chesterfield or even the City of Richmond changing theirs, and Caroline, Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg, and Stafford aren't likely to do so either.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

sprjus4

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 22, 2019, 09:18:31 AM

I think of the counties that still have US 1 designated as Jefferson Davis Highway, Prince William would likely be the only other one to make such a change and even then it'd be a long shot. I certainly don't see Chesterfield or even the City of Richmond changing theirs, and Caroline, Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg, and Stafford aren't likely to do so either.
The fact Richmond renamed J.E.B. Stuart Elementary School to Barack Obama Elementary School... then won't even acknowledge on the school's history page that it was ever called something different than Obama Elementary... I would easily see them doing the same to US-1.

sprjus4

Quote from: Thing 342 on May 22, 2019, 07:21:52 AM
QuoteSome see it as a prime example of the politicization and mismanagement of transportation funding that led to the development of SmartScale, the state's new point-based scoring system for road projects. Others see the slow pace of work as just another example of Richmond neglecting the needs of Appalachia.
What? The hangup with the bridge opening was the portion to be built by Kentucky. The connection to VA 80 is already built and is ready to be used as soon as the KY portion opens.
Most likely referring to the US-460 expressway being extended into Virginia. Right now, it'll cross the bridge, then instantly dump onto VA-80 through a two-lane connector road. People want to see the US-460 expressway continue into Virginia 8 or so miles all the way back to the 4-lane US-460, not just 2,000 feet then back to two-lanes. Virginia is lacking funding for that segment, unless things have changed since the latest Google imagery.

Takumi

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2019, 05:00:17 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 22, 2019, 09:18:31 AM

The fact Richmond renamed J.E.B. Stuart Elementary School to Barack Obama Elementary School... then won't even acknowledge on the school's history page that it was ever called something different than Obama Elementary... I would easily see them doing the same to US-1.
It wouldn't even be that complicated for them (relatively speaking, compared to the other localities)...just extend the Cowardin Avenue name down to Walmsley Boulevard.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2019, 05:05:38 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on May 22, 2019, 07:21:52 AM
The hangup with the bridge opening was the portion to be built by Kentucky. The connection to VA 80 is already built and is ready to be used as soon as the KY portion opens.
Most likely referring to the US-460 expressway being extended into Virginia. Right now, it'll cross the bridge, then instantly dump onto VA-80 through a two-lane connector road. People want to see the US-460 expressway continue into Virginia 8 or so miles all the way back to the 4-lane US-460, not just 2,000 feet then back to two-lanes. Virginia is lacking funding for that segment, unless things have changed since the latest Google imagery.

VDOT built that so that the last few miles in KY would have something to connect into to make it usable.

Instead we have a high and expensive bridge sitting there 4 years because the KY section was delayed.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

Quote from: Beltway on May 22, 2019, 09:13:24 PM
Instead we have a high and expensive bridge sitting there 4 years because the KY section was delayed.

Perhaps, but they waited and did it right. Now it makes Virginia look cheap.

Even if there's a million reasons why they couldn't build a proper corridor beyond the bridge, it looks cheap to drivers.

Beltway

Quote from: jakeroot on May 22, 2019, 09:30:48 PM

No, it makes Kentucky look incompetent.  Highways should be built in segments of independent utility.  Virginia funded the segment so that Kentucky could open that last few miles in their state and not have it sit there going nowhere.

Even if there's a million reasons why they couldn't build a proper corridor beyond the bridge, it looks cheap to drivers.

It looks pretty stupid to drivers to see an award-winning bridge sitting there with no traffic.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

The segment in Virginia beyond the new bridge is currently under construction. Drive SR 609 between Breaks and US 460 and you'll see a massive construction project at the top of the mountain.

I'm told that Kentucky may not be opening its section as soon as planned after all. And I'm also told that some of the funding for US 460 in Kentucky was shifted to the Mountain Parkway widening, since ARC funds are no longer earmarked for ARC corridors.

There's also a four-lane bridge on an unused portion of the new US 460 on the Kentucky side. We saw it during our 2013 Pikeville meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on May 22, 2019, 09:50:05 PM

No, it makes Kentucky look incompetent.  Highways should be built in segments of independent utility.  Virginia funded the segment so that Kentucky could open that last few miles in their state and not have it sit there going nowhere.

It looks pretty stupid to drivers to see an award-winning bridge sitting there with no traffic.
To the average Joe, once the Kentucky portion opens, they'll be going on nice four-lane highway, cross a nice high-rise bridge, then dump onto a two-lane narrow road in Virginia. Once this corridor opens, Virginia will seem like the cheap one until they complete their portion back to US-460.

Reminds me of when North Carolina widened & relocated US-17 as a limited-access highway up to the border at Chesapeake, then dumped into a two-lane non-limited-access narrow road. It took Virginia almost four decades to finally complete their portion. It took three+ decades for them to realize hey, we can't widen the road on the swamp, let's relocate it instead!

Alps

Political and not relevant to roads.

sprjus4

Quote from: Alps on May 22, 2019, 11:48:57 PM
Political and not relevant to roads.
Sorry. I just felt the need as I found it ironic that Governor Northam calls the name "Jefferson Davis Highway" inappropriate. Something just doesn't add up in my head about that...

But I digress.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.