News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 13, 2023, 10:36:41 AM
The AP Hill monument in the middle of the Hermitage Rd (VA 161) and Laburnum Ave (VA 197) intersection in north Richmond has been removed and the site paved over, but the result is a weirdly configured intersection where lots of accidents occur (granted, this was also a major problem when the monument was still there). This intersection would probably benefit from a roundabout (and the ROW exists for it) but Richmond City Council passed an ordinance in the mid-2000s prohibiting a roundabout from being built here. That ordinance probably needs to be repealed.

I've also seen ideas about prohibiting left turns at this intersection, but the side roads are inadequate for making the missing connections.

https://twitter.com/ImBrendanKing/status/1613850204435894272
Why could they not have kept the island that was already there?

sprjus4

Quote from: plain on April 11, 2023, 09:28:44 PM
I-85 is often filled with cops, and this is especially true inside Brunswick County, where their police often patrols I-85 on top of the VSP presence. Both my cousin and an ex-coworker have gotten speeding tickets from county police on the interstate.
Boy, I bet Brunswick County loves having long stretches of both I-85 and US-58 (which is still only 55 mph) inside their county for speed traps enforcement.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Alps on April 11, 2023, 10:46:54 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 13, 2023, 10:36:41 AM
The AP Hill monument in the middle of the Hermitage Rd (VA 161) and Laburnum Ave (VA 197) intersection in north Richmond has been removed and the site paved over, but the result is a weirdly configured intersection where lots of accidents occur (granted, this was also a major problem when the monument was still there). This intersection would probably benefit from a roundabout (and the ROW exists for it) but Richmond City Council passed an ordinance in the mid-2000s prohibiting a roundabout from being built here. That ordinance probably needs to be repealed.

I've also seen ideas about prohibiting left turns at this intersection, but the side roads are inadequate for making the missing connections.

https://twitter.com/ImBrendanKing/status/1613850204435894272
Why could they not have kept the island that was already there?

A.P. Hill was literally buried (standing up) under the monument, so the entire island had to be dug up in order to remove his body.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Hunty2022

New traffic pattern on US 33 east of US 29 in Ruckersville. I have no images of it, but the east/west lanes are now split.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

sprjus4

Quote from: Hunty2022 on April 14, 2023, 10:45:33 PM
New traffic pattern on US 33 east of US 29 in Ruckersville. I have no images of it, but the east/west lanes are now split.
I saw that driving through the other day... is it related to construction of a business?

It looks to be either turning lanes or curb / gutter for that immediate area, no full widening.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 14, 2023, 11:35:27 PM
I saw that driving through the other day... is it related to construction of a business?

It looks to be either turning lanes or curb / gutter for that immediate area, no full widening.

it is a project to improve safety at the US 29-33 intersection (from VDOT):
QuoteThe purpose of this project is to improve safety and traffic flow at the intersection of U.S. 33 (Spotswood Trail) and U.S. 29 (Seminole Trail) in Greene County. Improvements include a raised median with crossovers and additional lanes at the U.S. 29 intersection.

U.S. 33 is being widened on the east side of U.S. 29 to provide two left turn lanes for traffic turning onto southbound U.S. 29. An additional through lane will also be provided for westbound traffic crossing U.S. 29. Bicycle lanes and concrete sidewalk will also be included.

These improvements are anticipated to reduce congestion during peak commuting hours and reduce the trend of rear-end crashes. The dual left turn lanes are also anticipated to prevent traffic queues from blocking the Moore Road / Jennings Loop intersection.

To reduce the trend of angle ("T-Bone" crashes), the project will also include:

Construction of a raised median along U.S. 33 between U.S. 29 and Moore Road.
Minor re-alignment of Moore Road and Jennings Loop to provide a single full access intersection.

Supposed to be complete this summer.

Hunty2022

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 15, 2023, 09:01:48 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 14, 2023, 11:35:27 PM

it is a project to improve safety at the US 29-33 intersection (from VDOT):
QuoteThe purpose of this project is to improve safety and traffic flow at the intersection of U.S. 33 (Spotswood Trail) and U.S. 29 (Seminole Trail) in Greene County. Improvements include a raised median with crossovers and additional lanes at the U.S. 29 intersection.

U.S. 33 is being widened on the east side of U.S. 29 to provide two left turn lanes for traffic turning onto southbound U.S. 29. An additional through lane will also be provided for westbound traffic crossing U.S. 29. Bicycle lanes and concrete sidewalk will also be included.

These improvements are anticipated to reduce congestion during peak commuting hours and reduce the trend of rear-end crashes. The dual left turn lanes are also anticipated to prevent traffic queues from blocking the Moore Road / Jennings Loop intersection.

To reduce the trend of angle ("T-Bone" crashes), the project will also include:

Construction of a raised median along U.S. 33 between U.S. 29 and Moore Road.
Minor re-alignment of Moore Road and Jennings Loop to provide a single full access intersection.

Supposed to be complete this summer.

I got some images today from the construction:

Mapmikey

Are those US 29 cutouts?

Hunty2022

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 15, 2023, 10:12:46 PM
Are those US 29 cutouts?

Nope, here's the US 29 sign from later in the day:

There's also an erroneous US 33 sign on the northbound lanes of US 29, I posted it in the Erroneous Signs thread.

sprjus4

I'm curious why "JCT"  is used there with the directions, as opposed to a standalone sign further back "JCT 29" .

Takumi

That might come in later. Not the first time I've seen that though.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

sprjus4

Quote from: Takumi on April 16, 2023, 09:28:55 AM
That is true, although then I'm not sure why "JCT"  is on the directional signs.

amroad17

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 16, 2023, 09:45:21 AM
Quote from: Takumi on April 16, 2023, 09:28:55 AM
That is true, although then I'm not sure why "JCT"  is on the directional signs.
Virginia usually does not use "JCT" signs for US and State highways when approaching intersections.  "JCT" (or even "JUNCTION") is used mainly for Interstate Highways and secondary highways.  From what I observed living in the state for 22 years, was that there would be no "JCT" placard above the SOUTH US 29 and NORTH US 29 signs.  There would be the two sets of signs--the first with left and right turning arrows and the second with left and right straight arrows.  Has this policy changed?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

After many years of delays due to land acquisition disputes, construction on the US-17 Business Deep Creek Bridge is finally set to begin in June 2023 in Chesapeake. Construction will be complete tentatively by June 2026.

USACE awards $59.5 million contract to construct new Deep Creek Bridge in Chesapeake
Quote NORFOLK -- The Norfolk District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, awarded a $59.5 million contract today to Archer Western LLC of Norfolk, Virginia, to replace the Deep Creek Bridge in Chesapeake, Virginia.   

"We're thrilled and honored to announce this major milestone,"  said Col. Brian Hallberg, Norfolk District commander. "People in Deep Creek have waited a long time for this project and won't believe it's happening until there are shovels in the ground. That day is coming."

Built in 1934 at a cost of $64,000, the Deep Creek Bridge is a federally owned and operated two-lane bridge that crosses the Dismal Swamp Canal and Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway at U.S. Route 17 in Chesapeake's Deep Creek community.

The District's effort to replace the bridge began in 1977.

"I am so pleased that our partners at the Army Corps of Engineers are reaching this significant milestone towards the replacement of the Deep Creek Bridge, said Chesapeake Mayor Rick West. "I know this is one project our Deep Creek neighbors, and everyone who commutes through the area, have been so anxious for and I can't wait to see work get started."

Noting traffic congestion and the structure's failure to meet width and design load standards, Norfolk District engineers first recommended replacing the bridge in a January 1977 feasibility study, but that recommendation was rejected. In March 1996, the Chesapeake city manager, citing city plans to improve the Route 17 corridor, asked USACE to again study the feasibility of replacing the bridge. The District published its initial appraisal two months later and again requested Congressional authorization for a feasibility study.

With Congressional authorization and funding in hand, the Norfolk District initiated a new feasibility study in 1998 and those results were transmitted to Congress in a March 2003 Chief of Engineers Report recommending replacement of the bridge.

In 2007, Congress authorized the replacement project in the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2007 and, in the 2020 WRDA, reauthorized the project at a cost of $59.5 million.

"Countless people in multiple agencies and across four decades got us to this day,"  Hallberg said. "I'm proud of them all, our partners at the City of Chesapeake, and the current project delivery team for their persistence in always pushing this forward."  

Construction is expected to begin in June 2023 and completed in June 2026, with the new bridge construction occurring alongside the existing bridge, Walt Trinkala, Norfolk District project manager said.

The existing bridge will be replaced by a 144-foot-long, 60-foot-wide, five-lane, dual-leaf drawbridge. Replacing the bridge will improve traffic flow and meet Virginia Department of Transportation and City of Chesapeake requirements.

Once completed, the City of Chesapeake will own and operate new Deep Creek Bridge.

Though traffic flow across the bridge will continue during construction, commuters should expect delays. Traffic impacts will be listed on the Chesapeake Travel Advisories Calendar, and broadcast via Twitter at @ChesapeakeRoads.

plain

This project is a long time coming and I'm absolutely loving that it's finally getting done. I realize why the red tape but at least it's a go now. The residents of the Deep Creek neighborhood, as well as travellers, will benefit from the improvement.
Newark born, Richmond bred

wriddle082

^ There won't be any tolls on this bridge, right?  I wouldn't put it past the City of Chesapeake to toll it.

sprjus4

Quote from: wriddle082 on April 17, 2023, 11:42:41 PM
^ There won't be any tolls on this bridge, right?  I wouldn't put it past the City of Chesapeake to toll it.
No, the replacement is funded with a mix of local, state, and federal funding. No tolls.

The city is however looking to replace the nearby Centerville Turnpike bridge with a fixed-span 4 lane high level crossing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a toll on there given the $400 million cost estimate. That's 15-20 years away though. I don't think a toll would fly well with the public at all as this is a local important crossing and not a freeway / trucking corridor. It wouldn't make logical sense, not to mention is easy to avoid via VA-168 and would result in increased traffic on that route, along with VA-165 Mt. Pleasant Rd. But who knows.

The city only operates two toll facilities, US-17 and VA-168, and both are fully controlled access highways, not local arterials.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman65

What is the purpose of retaining the only remaining portion of VA 162 in Williamsburg? To me it's silly to have a very short designation that has a dangling end just after it starts. 

Yes I know the city itself doesn't want it and had it truncated to the city limit on the east side, but it could be at least kept between the James City County / Williamsburg Line and US 60/ VA 5 like it's original alignment was before it took over former VA 132 along Lafayette Street and Richmond Road in the early eighties.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on May 01, 2023, 01:30:00 PM
What is the purpose of retaining the only remaining portion of VA 162 in Williamsburg? To me it's silly to have a very short designation that has a dangling end just after it starts. 

Yes I know the city itself doesn't want it and had it truncated to the city limit on the east side, but it could be at least kept between the James City County / Williamsburg Line and US 60/ VA 5 like it's original alignment was before it took over former VA 132 along Lafayette Street and Richmond Road in the early eighties.

While it no longer matters if an arterial within an independent city is in the primary system for VDOT payments to the city, it still matters on the county side of things.

That said, i agree that particular setup is silly.  They could depost it without decommissioning it or renumber it to VA 143Y if they were still doing Y routes (posted or not).

I'm a little surprised VA 143 and this section of VA 162 didn't become part of US 60 in the 1940s.

Thing 342

It's definitely weird that VA162 got truncated to city limits but VA5 still keeps its nonsensical routing through downtown Williamsburg, complete with a near-180º turn from Lafayette onto Page St. I would have just ended it at Richmond Road right in the middle of downtown.

1995hoo

For those who haven't seen it (it's made the national news), there was quite the crash on the Fairfax County Parkway yesterday afternoon. The police car stopped a driver heading southbound for going 73 in a 50-mph zone. Then a kid in an M3 came along the other way going in excess of 120 mph. This happened just south of the interchange with Braddock Road.

https://twitter.com/FairfaxCountyPD/status/1653496310132101120
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

The crash was a close call, and thankfully no better was severely injured or killed. But I do have to bring up a couple of points.

Does the county and/or VDOT intend to install cable guardrail along that facility? I know the speed limit is only 50 mph, and the county police love to strictly enforce it, but the reality is, it's a freeway with 65-70 mph operating speeds (and should be posted at least 55 to 60 mph). I feel like there's more safety issues caused by the artificially low limit, the design of the roadway overall - all of the intersections need to be closed & replaced by interchanges or overpasses, and the lack of any median barrier.

This accident would've been fully avoidable had there been a proper barrier installed, and at most would've just been a single car accident, maybe two in the same direction. If this went slightly different as it happened, vehicles heading the opposing direction could have been struck and some people may not have been able to walk away.

1995hoo

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. But as to your final sentence, notice in the video that a car heading southbound (i.e., in the direction the camera was facing) narrowly missed being swept into the crash because the driver braked just in time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

seicer

The teenage driver in the BMW M3 was driving at 120 MPH. We don't need to babyproof every roadway when the issue here is excessive speeding and dangerous driving. Our penalities for these infractions are too low.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.