News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 22, 2023, 03:55:20 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on November 22, 2023, 12:48:32 PM
One wonders how things might have played out if the southern route for I-64 was chosen to favor Lynchburg, Farmville, Bedford, and replace U.S. 220 from I-81 to Clifton Forge. U.S. 460 has been improved with bypasses around Bedford (although businesses are creeping east past the end of the bypass, adding traffic lights that slow progress), Lynchburg, and Appomattox. Getting from I-81 to Bedford is still at times a challenge, even with improvements at exit 150 on I-81. U.S. 220 north from there isn't too bad of a trip, unless there is a major wreck, until one gets to Eagle Rock and the end of the four lane.

Does anyone have a map showing what this proposed southern alignment would have been? I've read the past Lynchburg then US 220 to Clifton Forge part before, but was the plan to bring the route that close to Roanoke without actually going into Roanoke? That seems way out of the way versus paralleling US 501 through the James River gap in the Blue Ridge coming northwest out of Lynchburg.

There is a map here - http://www.roadstothefuture.com/i64vastudy.html

VTGoose

Does anyone have a map showing what this proposed southern alignment would have been? I've read the past Lynchburg then US 220 to Clifton Forge part before, but was the plan to bring the route that close to Roanoke without actually going into Roanoke? That seems way out of the way versus paralleling US 501 through the James River gap in the Blue Ridge coming northwest out of Lynchburg.

The article has the Virginia Department of Highways map that shows (broadly) the southern route pretty much following Alt. U.S. 220 west from U.S 460 around Bonsack. Getting to U.S. 501 from the southeast side of Lynchburg would not be an easy route, either crossing the James River around today's Mt. Athos exit on U.S. 460 and cutting though Madison Heights, or striking north after crossing U.S. 29, somewhere around Timberlake and heading toward Forest. From there, it would require quite a few cuts to get through the terrain to reach the river. At that, U.S. 501 is in tight quarters along the river. The gap to reach Glasgow isn't that big; would the interstate head west to reach I-81 near there or run a bit north to Buena Vista and a connection close to Lexington? Coming close to Roanoke, then up U.S. 220 really isn't much more out of the way than going through Whooville to Staunton, then south to Lexington.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

sprjus4

Construction for I-64 'Gap Widening Project' to begin in New Kent County
QuoteNEW KENT COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Work will soon begin for the $756 million widening project of Interstate 64, which will include nightly closures.

Closures for the project — which is federally funded — will begin on Monday, Nov. 27. Nightly eastbound and westbound lanes will be closed from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. for the installation of temporary median barriers.

Median barriers will be installed from Bottoms Bridge to just east of Providence Forge, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). All lanes will remain operational throughout daytime hours.

After the barrier installation, trees in the median will be cleared behind the barrier. This early tree-clearing work will take place over the next few months, and the project road widening is anticipated to begin in early Spring of 2024.

The project has been divided into three segments: A, B and C, with each being constructed as an independent project. Segment A is the first of the three segments and will widen about ten miles of I-64 from two to three lanes with 10-foot-wide paved shoulders in each direction.

This marks the beginning of a three phase project to finally close the 29 mile four lane gap on I-64 between Richmond and Hampton Roads. This first phase will be complete in the summer 2027, followed by the other two phases by the spring of 2028.

In total, it will be 29 miles of rural interstate highway widening for $756 million in about 4 years total. It will complete a six lane I-64 between Richmond and Hampton Roads before the end of the decade.

As far as the technical details of the project go, this project will simply widen to the inside, adding a full 12 foot lane and 10 foot paved shoulder. None of the interchanges will be reconfigured. This seems to be fine at most locations given low-volume rural interchanges, but I'm concerned with Exit 211 at VA-106. Currently this is a conventional diamond interchange with a two-lane overpass (no turn lanes) over the interstate. To the north, it widens to a 4 lane road and a roundabout where Buc-ee's is getting ready to be built and open within a few years.

Mixed with the growth out in New Kent County, the traffic that Buc-ee's will generate (look anywhere else a Buc-ee's has been built), and the existing truck stops Loves and Pilot to the south of the interchange, I feel that widening or replacing the overpass with a 4 lane bridge & turn lanes, along with traffic signals (perhaps even a loop ramp in one of the quadrants), is inevitable. I'm not sure why that was not included in this widening project. Instead, they'll have to come back in 10 years after traffic congestion grows, and start another bridge replacement / widening project.

Takumi

Quote from: VTGoose on November 22, 2023, 06:14:38 PM

The article has the Virginia Department of Highways map that shows (broadly) the southern route pretty much following Alt. U.S. 220 west from U.S 460 around Bonsack. Getting to U.S. 501 from the southeast side of Lynchburg would not be an easy route, either crossing the James River around today's Mt. Athos exit on U.S. 460 and cutting though Madison Heights, or striking north after crossing U.S. 29, somewhere around Timberlake and heading toward Forest. From there, it would require quite a few cuts to get through the terrain to reach the river. At that, U.S. 501 is in tight quarters along the river. The gap to reach Glasgow isn't that big; would the interstate head west to reach I-81 near there or run a bit north to Buena Vista and a connection close to Lexington? Coming close to Roanoke, then up U.S. 220 really isn't much more out of the way than going through Whooville to Staunton, then south to Lexington.

In the Richmond area it looks like it was originally planned to follow what is now I-195 and Powhite Parkway, then generally paralleling US 360 to north of Burkeville. I wonder how the development of Richmond suburbia would have been different.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on November 23, 2023, 12:20:13 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on November 22, 2023, 06:14:38 PM

In the Richmond area it looks like it was originally planned to follow what is now I-195 and Powhite Parkway, then generally paralleling US 360 to north of Burkeville. I wonder how the development of Richmond suburbia would have been different.

The 1958 routing of I-64 west out of Richmond was proposed to be similar to what was actually built.  See https://na4.visualvault.com/app/AASHTO/Default/documentviewer?DhID=97cd02d6-36e6-ea11-a98a-ff9beffbfef8&hidemenu=true after going to the AASHTO database

In Dec 1960, the CTB changed I-64 west exit from Richmond to be south of the James River.  See the last page here - https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-12-1960-01.pdf.  Note that the CTB also said to have 64 overlay with I-81 to Lexington, then follow the 'northern route' to Clifton Forge

The map from Scott Kozel's page showing I-64 using roughly Powhite Pkwy corridor is from a 1961 location study.

74/171FAN

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 27, 2019, 10:30:38 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on March 12, 2019, 03:54:36 PM
VA 357 decommissioning on the March 2019 CTB agenda...

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2019/mar/agendas/ctb_action_meeting_march_2019.pdf

The Southside Training Facility was torn down and redeveloped by private interests.

Annnnnnd it's gone. VA 357 decommissioned.

Potentially related to this, I noticed yesterday that 2 lanes now continue on US 1 SB/US 460 BUS WB to the VA 226 intersection.  It is still only one lane EB.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

Pretty sure this project is meant to eliminate weaving on 395 SB, both here and at VA 110. Always a good thing.
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on November 30, 2023, 03:58:35 PM
Pretty sure this project is meant to eliminate weaving on 395 SB, both here and at VA 110. Always a good thing.

I believe part of it has to do with all the crashes that occur when people use the existing ramp and then try to slice all the way across to the left-side exit for Route 1. I must say I hate driving through that area in the mainline, and I really hate using the loop ramp coming from Reagan Airport to southbound I-395 to the point where I often just go through Old Town instead.

ElishaGOtis

Did TransUrban start accepting regular SunPass (not PRO, which has already been accepted since 2021) for their express lanes? I'm aware PeachPass became compatible last summer, but this wording in the FAQ is news to me.

https://www.expresslanes.com/faqs#tabexpress-lanes-and-e-zpass (4th question down).

Currently, the SunPass website says only the PRO is accepted in VA.
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on December 08, 2023, 01:38:20 PM
Did TransUrban start accepting regular SunPass (not PRO, which has already been accepted since 2021) for their express lanes? I'm aware PeachPass became compatible last summer, but this wording in the FAQ is news to me.

https://www.expresslanes.com/faqs#tabexpress-lanes-and-e-zpass (4th question down).

The SunPass PRO is the only SunPass that has interoperability with other networks, so the answer inherently refers to that. The standard SunPass transponder only works in Florida.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Well designed highway bypass segment with mostly limited access, straight as an arrow, full shoulders, a single traffic light. An underposted 45-55 mph zone that should easily be 65 mph or 70 mph in a reasonable 85th percentile speed setting environment.

But in the article, they claim speeding is dangerous and 70+ mph is a safety hazard... sure. I think the underposted limits are the hazard.

Yep, sounds like Virginia & especially the Eastern Shore!

Reminds me of Emporia on US-58... at least it's... 60  :no: mph there. Summersville, WV is a similar instance with their artificial 65 mph to 50 mph drop.

lordsutch

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 08, 2023, 06:34:11 PM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on December 08, 2023, 01:38:20 PM

The SunPass PRO is the only SunPass that has interoperability with other networks, so the answer inherently refers to that. The standard SunPass transponder only works in Florida.

And Georgia and North Carolina.

It's possible the work the E-ZPass states have done so far to accommodate Peach Pass also has the side effect of accommodating the non-PRO SunPass, but SunPass isn't saying anything about those states/facilities at this point (and they'd rather sell you a SunPass PRO anyway).

Now what's interesting is that Peach Pass says that compatibility in Virginia is "coming soon" even though apparently Peach Pass is already accepted at least on the TransUrban express lanes; I assume they're waiting for it to work on other facilities before announcing it works in Virginia statewide.

sprjus4

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/12/10/massive-suffolk-warehouse-project-moves-ahead-with-construction-plans-despite-opposition/

New warehouse / industrial park planned at the interchange of US-58 and US-460 in Suffolk. This will take up the proposed right of way of a conceptual relocated US-460 freeway interchange / tie in with US-58, essentially killing any potential for that ever being revived.

Terrible planning, expect no less from a city government and future proofing. US-460 is a major freight route between Suffolk and Petersburg and is long overdue for a relocation / widening to a divided highway or freeway. The current road is inadequate and in typical Virginia fashion, VDOT has zero plans for either US-58 or US-460 leaving the region to the west - both routes that should be full freeways to I-95 / I-295.

Plutonic Panda

sprjus4

I noticed today VDOT has silently increased the speed limit from 55 mph to 60 mph along a 4 mile segment of I-64 from the Virginia Beach / Chesapeake city line near Indian River Road to just beyond the I-264 interchange in Norfolk.

The speed limit drops to 55 mph once I-264 ramps merge in going towards Northampton Blvd / US-13.

wriddle082

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 14, 2023, 02:11:58 PM
I noticed today VDOT has silently increased the speed limit from 55 mph to 60 mph along a 4 mile segment of I-64 from the Virginia Beach / Chesapeake city line near Indian River Road to just beyond the I-264 interchange in Norfolk.

The speed limit drops to 55 mph once I-264 ramps merge in going towards Northampton Blvd / US-13.

I noticed this as well, as I was up this week.  And the VSP "campsite" in the median b/w the Elizabeth River and Indian River Rd seemed to be abandoned.  Wonder why...

sprjus4

I haven't gotten a chance to drive around on other area interstates, but I'm curious if they've increased other areas as well. I'm doubtful. To be honest, when I saw the 60 mph signs on this portion, I was quite surprised. They can all realistically be 65 mph, but seeing them go over 55 mph at all caught me off guard.

I would like to see I-264 east of Witchduck Rd or Independence Blvd bumped up to at least 60 mph as well. Again, should be 65 mph, but 60 mph would be a welcome improvement nonetheless.

amroad17

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 14, 2023, 06:05:24 PM

I noticed this as well, as I was up this week.  And the VSP "campsite" in the median b/w the Elizabeth River and Indian River Rd seemed to be abandoned.  Wonder why...
I noticed a couple of weeks ago while looking at the area on GoogleMaps that the speed limit did increase from 55 to 60.  It changed between April and August of 2023.
April: https://maps.app.goo.gl/NYpUDUmsFKPmXLDd8
August: https://maps.app.goo.gl/reBNgo85jHANZGJz5

Once all roadwork is completed along I-64 through Chesapeake, VDOT should raise the speed limit to 65 from just south of I-264 (Exit 284) to the Bowers Hill Interchange—but they will not.  It is probably lucky to be at 60 currently.  Of course, I-64/US 13 Bypass was 70 mph when it first opened until 1974's NMSL of 55 mph, before much development occurred around the Greenbrier interchange through the Oak Grove Interchange.  Most of the scenery that is seen currently between the High Rise Bridge(s) and the Bowers Hill Interchange has looked the same since 1969.

Allow me to give a comparison.  As a resident of the Northern Kentucky area who used to live in Chesapeake, there are some similarities in the highways.  I-275 is the beltway around Cincinnati with a 65 mph speed limit for the entire length.  It has more development above Cincinnati than anywhere along I-64 south of I-264 or along I-664 from Bowers Hill to the MMMBT, yet it is 65 through there: https://maps.app.goo.gl/jkBVTibxRswTTa3Q8.  In Northern Kentucky, I-75 is 65 mph from I-275 (Exit 185) to the Florence/Union interchange (US 42, Exit 180) and then 70 mph south of there.  This is what the view is in Florence, KY between Exits 181 & 182: https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8gogzKA1VEu7LuB7.  This view is near Florence Mall: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wfdfF1PXoGRkqReU7 (view is from the Mall Road to I-75 North overpass).

The speed limits in the Hampton Roads area were ridiculously low for a long time until recently (within the last 12-15 years) when some portions of the freeways there were bumped up to 60 mph—although they are still low in some places, even at 60.  So, I agree with sprjus4.  I-64 from I-264 to Bowers Hill as well as I-664 from Bowers Hill to the MMMBT should be 65 mph.  Most drivers are probably going that speed anyway.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on December 18, 2023, 07:24:16 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on December 14, 2023, 06:05:24 PM

I noticed a couple of weeks ago while looking at the area on GoogleMaps that the speed limit did increase from 55 to 60.  It changed between April and August of 2023.
April: https://maps.app.goo.gl/NYpUDUmsFKPmXLDd8
August: https://maps.app.goo.gl/reBNgo85jHANZGJz5

Once all roadwork is completed along I-64 through Chesapeake, VDOT should raise the speed limit to 65 from just south of I-264 (Exit 284) to the Bowers Hill Interchange—but they will not.  It is probably lucky to be at 60 currently.  Of course, I-64/US 13 Bypass was 70 mph when it first opened until 1974's NMSL of 55 mph, before much development occurred around the Greenbrier interchange through the Oak Grove Interchange.  Most of the scenery that is seen currently between the High Rise Bridge(s) and the Bowers Hill Interchange has looked the same since 1969.

Allow me to give a comparison.  As a resident of the Northern Kentucky area who used to live in Chesapeake, there are some similarities in the highways.  I-275 is the beltway around Cincinnati with a 65 mph speed limit for the entire length.  It has more development above Cincinnati than anywhere along I-64 south of I-264 or along I-664 from Bowers Hill to the MMMBT, yet it is 65 through there: https://maps.app.goo.gl/jkBVTibxRswTTa3Q8.  In Northern Kentucky, I-75 is 65 mph from I-275 (Exit 185) to the Florence/Union interchange (US 42, Exit 180) and then 70 mph south of there.  This is what the view is in Florence, KY between Exits 181 & 182: https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8gogzKA1VEu7LuB7.  This view is near Florence Mall: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wfdfF1PXoGRkqReU7 (view is from the Mall Road to I-75 North overpass).

The speed limits in the Hampton Roads area were ridiculously low for a long time until recently (within the last 12-15 years) when some portions of the freeways there were bumped up to 60 mph—although they are still low in some places, even at 60.  So, I agree with sprjus4.  I-64 from I-264 to Bowers Hill as well as I-664 from Bowers Hill to the MMMBT should be 65 mph.  Most drivers are probably going that speed anyway.
The change must've happened in late August, or I was not paying attention. I believe the last time I was on the segment of highway was early or mid August.

Either way, I agree. I-664 between Bowers Hill and the MMMBT, and the entire length of I-464 was raised to 60 mph in 2001, but everything else remained at 55 mph. In 2012, they raised the MMMBT and I-664 on the Peninsula to 60 mph, as well as I-64 between Bowers Hill and the Chesapeake / Virginia Beach city line.

This latest increase just extended that 60 mph zone a few miles to cover the entire portion south of I-64. And you are correct - most motorists are traveling north of 70 mph, especially on the wide 8 lane portion between I-264 in Norfolk and I-464, where it is largely straight and wide open. That, unsurprisingly, is where the police often set up in the median in several different areas - though they usually don't mess with people going 70-75 mph, only targeting those going 80+ mph. At least, at the bare minimum, that well designed portion will be a uniform 60 mph now, instead of the random 55 mph drop halfway.

The interstates already here in general are slow. I-264, particularly east of I-64, was constructed with a 70 mph design speed and was posted at 65 mph. It, similar to the 8 lane portion of I-64, is relatively straight and well designed. Similarly, that highway in particular, it is common to see 80+ mph drivers, with most between 70 and 80 mph in my experience. I understand that part of Virginia Beach is more urban, but at the same time, the highway can easily be posted at 65 mph. They won't raise it over 55 mph.

I-664, VA-164, I-64 below of I-264, I-264 east of I-64, and I-464 could all handle a 65 mph posted speed limit. The US-58 bypass segments around Suffolk, Franklin, and Courtland should also be raised from 60 to 65 mph - I would even argue 70 mph on the Franklin bypass, given it's a rural freeway. Additionally, I-64 north of I-264, and I-564 could reasonable be raised to 60 mph. People drive equally as fast there, but the turns and urban nature could make it more questionable above 60 mph, particularly by Virginia's standards.

Then there's VA-168 and US-17 which are annoyingly slow at 55 mph (both also should be 65 mph), but those are city maintained and Chesapeake has pushed off doing a speed study due to costs.

One positive thing VDOT did though - they did raise I-64 on the Peninsula back in 2018 from 60 mph up to 65 mph all the way down into Hampton, which was surprising, and unfortunately was not followed by any other increases.

74/171FAN

I just realized that Co is used here instead of CH for Courthouse for some reason.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217882373731500&set=a.10217882434013007)

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hunty2022

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 21, 2023, 09:08:59 PM
I just realized that Co is used here instead of CH for Courthouse for some reason.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217882373731500&set=a.10217882434013007)

I've noticed it both times I've passed the sign, the sign looks like it says Hanover County is in 10 miles.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Mapmikey

I have run across an archive of Norfolk television footage.

I-64 construction with some signage up - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_35b8b0d1-4d1c-4626-bba7-4bfa3d942c35/

Midtown Tunnel, Norfolk side near the end of construction, within the first 5 minutes.  There are interesting bits sprinkled throughout this 29 minute compilation - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_d86c43ca-3153-40bf-b85f-20a2ad2c6962/

ribbon cutting of VA 225, not much to see though - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_040195e4-2b0c-41b8-a372-a0b508e69a64/

1968 color footage (72 sec) of Shirley Highway construction; shows a VA 120 posting and a cool electronic model of the new busway at the very end - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_c5b253d3-5cae-43d2-87b3-e25c54ca027f/

Most of this video is driving along a lot of Hampton Blvd, though manages not to show any route markers - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_f711813c-9f38-410b-95a2-b15cbf856906/

aerial footage of construction of I-64 from Wards Corner across HRBT - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_0a07a6f8-9081-4f40-8de8-1c7c4bfbe110/

interview with some footage of construction of first HRBT - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_8a5c5051-8e1d-44cf-b5b4-325330455b3d/

color footage of the 1968 barge crash into CBBT - https://olddomuni.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_902cb2f9-f6de-4c9c-903f-c060f90ac390/

1995hoo

Did you perhaps forget the link to the Shirley Highway video? That one is the one I would find the most interesting of those and I don't see the link, unless it's part of one of the others (I haven't tried to watch them all).

Thanks for posting those.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.