News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Places you always stop

Started by ShawnP, December 08, 2012, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Headed south from Maryland on I-95, I have always liked the Waffle House in Selma, North Carolina (Exit 97) - located on Industrial Drive (good street name for a Waffle House) south of U.S. 70.

Further south, I like to buy fuel for my truck at the Sam's Club on Dawn Drive in Lumberton, N.C. (Exit 22).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Duke87

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 09, 2012, 03:24:47 PM
Businesses at Breezewood and its evil and corrupt Pennsylvania Turnpike brethren (Somerset, Bedford, Carlisle, Pocono, Wyoming Valley) should be boycotted by all patrons of the Turnpike.

If for no other reason than that gas prices are generally inflated in such locales thanks to having a captive audience.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

myosh_tino

Quote from: froggie on December 09, 2012, 08:27:29 AM
Five Guys hasn't infiltrated that far west yet?
Five Guys has made its way to California.  I know of two locations.  One in Sunnyvale, CA (El Camino and Sunnyvale Ave - near the haunted Toys R Us) and one in Fremont, CA (Auto Mall and I-880).  Burgers are pretty good but their fries are little on the dark side.

Edit to correct spelling error... "they're" vs "their"... ugh!  :banghead:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: myosh_tino on December 09, 2012, 07:49:08 PM
Five Guys has made its way to California.  I know of two locations.  One in Sunnyvale, CA (El Camino and Sunnyvale Ave - near the haunted Toys R Us) and one in Fremont, CA (Auto Mall and I-880).  Burgers are pretty good but they're fries are little on the dark side.

But In-N-Out® has not made its way to the Atlantic Coast.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 09, 2012, 03:24:47 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 08, 2012, 07:24:14 PM
Quoteand yes that dang Breezewood.

Which means you are contributing to the problem.

Absolutely correct. 

Businesses at Breezewood and its evil and corrupt Pennsylvania Turnpike brethren (Somerset, Bedford, Carlisle, Pocono, Wyoming Valley) should be boycotted by all patrons of the Turnpike.

I boycott the Turnpike itself when traveling to Buffalo NY, which involves MD I-70 to PA I-99.  Take US-30 between Breezewood and Bedford, actually it's a decent 4-lane highway and timewise things are about equal.  Also, unlike the Turnpike, US-30 connects directly to US-220/I-99.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on December 09, 2012, 08:45:01 PM
I boycott the Turnpike itself when traveling to Buffalo NY, which involves MD I-70 to PA I-99.  Take US-30 between Breezewood and Bedford, actually it's a decent 4-lane highway and timewise things are about equal.  Also, unlike the Turnpike, US-30 connects directly to US-220/I-99.

I have never done that (I've always had a destination much further west than Bedford), though some folks have insisted that U.S. 30 is not that much slower than the E-W mainline of the Turnpike from Breezewood to Pittsburgh.

Your point about U.S. 30 connecting directly to the U.S. 220 is correct.

Duke87

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 09, 2012, 09:49:44 PM

I have never done that (I've always had a destination much further west than Bedford), though some folks have insisted that U.S. 30 is not that much slower than the E-W mainline of the Turnpike from Breezewood to Pittsburgh.

This is interesting, since I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the parts of 30 in central/western PA that closely parallel the turnpike have low speed limits and lots of cops in order to discourage shunpiking. Is that not true?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Duke87 on December 09, 2012, 09:57:12 PM

This is interesting, since I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the parts of 30 in central/western PA that closely parallel the turnpike have low speed limits and lots of cops in order to discourage shunpiking. Is that not true?

But does the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission fund the local cops in order to do the discouraging?  I was not able to glean anything from PTC Budget that would indicate that it funds such activities.  There is obviously a large line item for Pennsylvania State Police, but that money is presumably not to fund anti-shunpiking activities.

Alps

Having traveled all of US 30 in PA, the only segment of it I will ever travel again for any length is starting with where it meets I-376 and heading west. I have had enough bad experiences being stuck on the rest of it behind all manner of slow moving vehicles that I have foresworn it as a corridor of any use.

Beltway

Quote from: Duke87 on December 09, 2012, 09:57:12 PM

That section between Breezewood and Bedford, has 45 to 55 mph speed limits, and I don't recall seeing a cop in at least 20 usages of that section.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

InterstateNG

Quote from: pianocello on December 08, 2012, 10:02:13 PM
Davenport to/from Peoria, IL: If at all, Knoxville is a good halfway point.
Davenport to Lansing, MI: Usually the rest area before Joliet, the Pilot in Burns Harbor, IN, and the rest area in Battle Creek.
Lansing back to Davenport: Indiana welcome center, food somewhere near Joliet.

I also used to always stop at that Pilot whenever I'd drive from the Detroit area to Chicago.
I demand an apology.

Dr Frankenstein

Heading down south, I always make a stop at the High Peaks rest area, and usually at least one of the parking area's along the Northway. If I continue down on the Thruway, I usually stop at the New Baltimore service area; if I take the Taconic Parkway, one of the parking areas.

Heading out west, the Bainsville service area and tourist information centre is a very frequent one.

Heading out east, I often grab a poutine at Fromagerie Lemaire on A-20 near Drummondville.

Going up north, it's the Porte du Nord service area on A-15, either for a breakfast or for a lunch at their McDonald's.

Another frequent stop for me is exit 55 on A-10, they've got a bunch of decent restaurants there, and gas too. And old sings to boot.

vdeane

I often stop in Cicero, NY for the cheap gas.  Many road trips in north/central NY also involve a stop at Jreck subs for lunch.  And for some reason, I've stopped at the McDonalds in Lowville every time I've been in that town.

In the past, the Warners service area of the Thruway was a frequent stop.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wphiii

Quote from: froggie on December 08, 2012, 07:24:14 PM
Quoteand yes that dang Breezewood.

Which means you are contributing to the problem.

Haha yes.

Pittsburgh to DC (and vice versa) is the only route I drive frequently enough to have "places I always stop." I've reached the point where I almost exclusively take U.S. 219/I-68 between Pittsburgh and DC, if only to avoid that outpost of hell in central Pennsylvania called Breezewood. It also saves a few bucks on the Turnpike, and there are lots of neat places to stop along the way. I try to switch it up, but my favorites/most repeat visits are the Ice Cream Station in Berlin, PA, El Canelo in Frostburg, and Bulls & Bears or the Rhubarb House in Hagerstown.

Going further east via the Turnpike, I like to stop in Carlisle for food that's better than the Turnpike rest stop fast food chains.

dfilpus

Chapel Hill NC to Augusta GA: The Fazoli's in Columbia SC. We don't have Fazoli's in either the Triangle or Augusta anymore.

Every welcome center to get the latest state highway map.

Mr_Northside

The friends I rode to Chincoteage, VA with (from Pittsburgh) this past summer opted to take US-30  (though using the TPK to Irwin first) to Breezewood.  Not sure if avoiding tolls was the primary motivating factor or not.  I know the ladyfriend (I was with an engaged couple) drove the first shift to Breezewood, and talked about how she hated the Turnpike.  The trip home was just a reverse route, using US-30 again.

It wasn't too bad for most of the trip heading to the beach.  It was pretty early ( ~7:00am) when we were in Irwin, so we got a lot of green lights.  Though we did end up following some slow-pokes west of Bedford. 
Coming home was a bit different.  It was about late afternoon on Saturday, more traffic, more "reds", and it took a good bit longer. 
I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't mind checking out some stretches roads I hadn't been on in years. But if I were driving, I doubt I'd do that again, and just shell out for tolls and just take the Turnpike. Though I sometimes take PA-51/US-40/I-68 (would probably start adding Tpk-43 into that now that it's done from the South Hills to Uniontown) when heading in that direction (Baltimore/DC/Eastern Shore).

As per the topic.  Growing up I can say a stop @ McDonald's in Breezewood on the way to Ocean City was a tradition for quite a few years.
Also, some friends and I had a good 7 year run of trips down to Louisville for Lebowskifests, and part of that tradition was stopping at the USA Steak Buffet in Cambridge, OH for dinner on the way down.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 10, 2012, 06:29:22 PM
Also, some friends and I had a good 7 year run of trips down to Louisville for Lebowskifests, and part of that tradition was stopping at the USA Steak Buffet in Cambridge, OH for dinner on the way down.

Respect for the Lebowskifest road trips. :)

Between Milwaukee and the Northwoods, I usually stop at the Fleet Farm in Stevens Point.  It's about half way and there's tons of 'guy shit' to look at while you stretch your legs.  Half the time I need live bait anyway, so might as well have a pit stop at the "Man's Mall".  Plus you get 4 cents a gallon off with a purchase and free popcorn with a fill up.

Between Milwaukee and Madison, it's Johnson Creek every time.  Pine Cone Travel Center has the best heat lamp grill in the state.  And they've got some great bakery items.  I can't resist getting a cow cookie.  Or a Brewers/Badgers/Packers cookie.  And talk about EZ In, EZ Out for westbound travelers!  (There's a RIRO driveway on the split-diamond connector road.) Hell I stop there when I don't need anything.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

theline

When I was a kid, living in Muncie, IN, we were always heading up to Lake Erie on vacation or to Cleveland to visit relatives. We often stopped at Wilson's in Findlay for hamburgs and frosted malts. When we didn't stop, I was known to throw a fit.

When my daughter went to grad school at the U. of Findlay years later, I had to take her and her roommates to Wilson's. It brought back great memories, and the girls said that food was great. I suspect they were just being polite.

hm insulators

When I drive from Phoenix to Los Angeles, I always stop in Quartzsite, Arizona to fill up the tank before crossing into California with its more expensive gas.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

on a typical San Diego to San Francisco run, I find myself hitting the 76 gas station at the Patterson Pass exit off I-580 at least once per trip, if not twice.

heading to Phoenix, I get gas in Yuma at the Chevron immediately off the US-95 southbound exit.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

If taking the kid(s) to Disney World, we usually stop somewhere (McDonald's/Burger King) on FL 70 between the Turnpike and I-95. Gas is also cheaper than back home or on the Turnpike rest areas, so if we started with a half-tank of fuel, we'll fill up at one of the 5-6 gas stations along that route. Typically, we hit the Three Lakes Plaza on the Turnpike for a break if nobody needed anything on that mile-long stretch of 70.

I seem to wind up quite a bit at that Chevron at FL 84 and CR 951, at the western end of Alligator Alley. There's only one gas station along that 86 mile route.

Quick Trip just south of the airport in Atlanta, on GA 139. Huge convenience store and gas station for refilling the rental car.

Roadgeek Adam

The Wawa off Exit 6A (US 130) of the NJ Turnpike PA Turnpike Extension is a common stop for my father and I when we do SEPTA station photography trips.

Any trip into Northeastern PA and central PA usually requires an obligatory Sheetz stop.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

DandyDan

QuoteI typically avoid fastfood hamburger joints.  No one makes good hamburgers.

Actually, Five Guys is here in the Omaha area, and more specifically here in Papillion, they have one, but I've never taken the time to go there.  I'll have to check it out.

Actually, I can't say no one make good hamburgers in the fast food realm.  Here in the Omaha area (but only in the Omaha area), I like Don and Millie's, but I'm not sure even Lincoln has one of them.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kphoger

Quote from: DandyDan on December 09, 2012, 04:01:36 AM
Whenever I drive the interstate between here in the Omaha area and NE Illinois, the one sure place I stop at is the Iowa 80 truck stop.

Funny, I was just about to ask if anyone always stopped there, and then I read your post.  Cheers!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ian

-When going between Albany, NY and home, there is a small restaurant along NY 199 east of Rhinebeck called the "Fork in the Road." It's just off the Taconic State Parkway, so we stop here from time to time when heading home.

-The TravelCenters of America off I-84 exit 71 near Willington, CT is one stop we make occasionally when heading up New England way.

-Heading up to Maine, the New Hampshire Liquor Store along I-95 in Hampton is a place my parents like to stop to get cheap liquor for the upcoming vacation. When heading to Lake Winnipesaukee, the liquore store along I-93 in Hooksett is another store we like to stop.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.