News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The road sign city name photo game

Started by Scott5114, December 29, 2016, 05:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

wanderer2575

Quote from: oscar on January 06, 2017, 11:08:43 PM
Lebanon Church => Hoople (ND): (Those of you who've read "Blue Highways" might remember Hoople as an unexpected geographic reference point for people in NE North Dakota -- not a county seat or otherwise noteworthy small town.)

I remember Hoople from Peter Schickele's P.D.Q. Bach recordings and performances, where he frequently referred to the "University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople" (no doubt an outreach campus, as Hoople is located in the north as you noted).

wanderer2575

Okay, back on track:

Indianola  -->  Allentown

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Mapmikey

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jmd41280

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

jbnv

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jbnv

Playing the A-rule. Conrad -> Deweyville.

Texas 12 Exit from I-10 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

hbelkins

We really need an "E" rule moreso than an "A" rule.

Anyway, Deweyville to Edwardsville

jbnv

Quote from: hbelkins on January 08, 2017, 02:18:27 PM

Extend the A rule to Y and I'll support extending it to E as well.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jbnv on January 08, 2017, 02:24:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 08, 2017, 02:18:27 PM

Extend the A rule to Y and I'll support extending it to E as well.

Then it will eventually be too many letters that are wild cards (O, K, and X would be next). It would better to remove the A rule entirely.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Mapmikey

Edwardsville -> Elliston

US 11-460

jbnv

hbelkins

jbnv

hbelkins

Niceville to East St. Louis (lock your car and don't venture out after dark)

MNHighwayMan

East St. Louis → Sully

Mapmikey

Sully -> Yale

SR 735 (old VA 308) Sussex County

hotdogPi

Yale → Elsöv (Sweden)

If I post a picture of a town ending with å, ø, ë, etc., does the next person need to start with å, ø, ë, etc., or are a, o, and e fine?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Dougtone

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on January 08, 2017, 04:37:00 PM

If I post a picture of a town ending with å, ø, ë, etc., does the next person need to start with å, ø, ë, etc., or are a, o, and e fine?

My suggestion is that the person posting something with that sort of character also state what the most common transliteration is. For example, I've seen Ã...rhus spelled as "Aarhus" when the "Ã..." character is impractical or undesirable, and I've seen Düsseldorf spelled as "Duesseldorf" for similar reasons. I have no idea how any other characters transliterate. So my thought is that if, for example, something ended in "ü" (I have no idea whether any do), the person posting it could tell us whether it's more correct to interpret it as a plain "u" or as a "ue."

I have a Cyrillic sign queued up if I get the right opportunity.....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jbnv

Vik -> Kentwood (not the same sign I posted earlier)

LA 38 Route Signs at Exit from I-55 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.