News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The road sign city name photo game

Started by Scott5114, December 29, 2016, 05:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Since E comes up so often, the next time it comes up, someone should post Edgecomb, Maine. This would get another B into play. (It may be difficult to find a photo from Edgecomb, though. Alps Roads and Wikimedia Commons have nothing.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on February 12, 2017, 09:32:12 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2017, 09:11:12 AM
Disregarding wanderer2575's entry because noelbotevera's has a valid sign despite the strange description. Alternatively, I could interpret his Drummond Island as leading back to Detroit.

This effectively re-plays Detroit in noelbotera's photo as a followup to Drummond Island (which seems to be a township name) in wanderer2575's photo. So both count, though in reverse order. while getting us back on track. Thanks!

Works for me. I'm not sure what noelbotevera was talking about with border crossings. Detroit, OK, I get that, but Rutland isn't near the border.

Quote from: 1 on February 12, 2017, 09:39:12 AM
Since E comes up so often, the next time it comes up, someone should post Edgecomb, Maine. This would get another B into play. (It may be difficult to find a photo from Edgecomb, though. Alps Roads and Wikimedia Commons have nothing.)

I have a "B" queued up that would lead to a chance for someone to play an "F." (I keep some URLs wrapped in "img" tags in a file in the Notes app synced between my iPhone and iPad, which is what I mean by "queued up.")
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Disregarding wanderer2575's entry because noelbotevera's has a valid sign despite the strange description.

This effectively re-plays Detroit in noelbotera's photo as a followup to Drummond Island (which seems to be a township name) in wanderer2575's photo. See rule 5 in the OP  ("If there are multiple city names in a photo that start with the correct letter, you can continue the chain with any of them"). So both photos count, though in reverse order. while getting us back on track. Thanks!

Drummond Island <-> Detroit -> Tickfaw

oscar

formulaone's photo skips past my Norris Arm North photo, and 1995hoo's Trenton photo, on page 41 of this thread. But I'm desperate to play my W___ photos (one more left), and put "U" back into play, so I can remove my N.A.N. post to help make things right.

Tickfaw => Wailuku (HI):

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

TravelingBethelite

Uxbridge ---> Edgewood

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

MNHighwayMan

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

MNHighwayMan

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

oscar

Daytona Beach => Harbour Breton (NL):

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Eth

bassoon1986

oscar

Bringing back a photo I'd previously played, then pulled in favor of someone else's better photo from somewhere else.

P.S. Waiting especially for opportunities to play my four queued M____s. My only three remaining queued photos are an A____, an H___ or K____, a V___ (unlikely that will roll around before this game peters out), and a W___.

Evelyn => Norris Arm North (NL):

Eth

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

1995hoo

Newmarket ---> Togliatti

(Updating software on Ms1995hoo's PC led to finding some photos I'd forgotten we had.)

(Per Oscar's comment, among signs I haven't played that I've uploaded I have a "P," a "V," an "M____t" and an "M_____s," a "J," one sign with two "K"s, one sign with a "C" and a "P," a "B," an "L," a standalone "C," one sign with an "L" and an "M_____r," an "M_____e," and the remaining cities on that New Jersey assembly. Got to dig around more on my wife's PC. She grew up in Dayton and has many more pictures of that area than I do, but she didn't often take road photos until the advent of the iPhone.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

Disregarding wanderer2575's entry because noelbotevera's has a valid sign despite the strange description. Alternatively, I could interpret his Drummond Island as leading back to Detroit.

This effectively re-plays Detroit in noelbotera's photo as a followup to Drummond Island (which seems to be a township name) in wanderer2575's photo. See rule 5 in the OP  ("If there are multiple city names in a photo that start with the correct letter, you can continue the chain with any of them"). So both photos count, though in reverse order. while getting us back on track. Thanks!

1995hoo is right -- I was so lost in "huh?" at the description that the cities on the signs didn't click.  I apologize, and will serve penance by spending a weekend in Breezewood in the near future.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

7/8

Independence to Ellicottville, NY (on I-86 WB). Taken today, though you wouldn't know it's the middle of February :/

oscar

Not what H.B. played, but "Mouth of Wilson" above it on the sign he just posted is rather, um, "unique" (and a new one for me).

Eth

Hot off the presses from just a few hours ago...

Ellicottville -> Ellijay

oscar

Quote from: Eth on February 12, 2017, 07:45:43 PM
Hot off the presses from just a few hours ago...

Ellicottville -> Ellijay

Or Jasper, per the Y rule, as well as Nelson and the other place name (which I can't make out, but it appears to end in a "d") on the sign at the right edge of the photo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.