The road sign city name photo game

Started by Scott5114, December 29, 2016, 05:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: oscar on February 12, 2017, 08:37:44 PM
Quote from: Eth on February 12, 2017, 07:45:43 PM
Hot off the presses from just a few hours ago...

Ellicottville -> Ellijay

Or Jasper, per the Y rule, as well as Nelson and the other place name (which I can't make out, but it appears to end in a "d") on the sign at the right edge of the photo.

Ball Ground
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on February 12, 2017, 04:45:51 PM
Not what H.B. played, but "Mouth of Wilson" above it on the sign he just posted is rather, um, "unique" (and a new one for me).

Mouth of Wilson is best known as being the home of Oak Hill Academy, where a whole lot of superstar basketball players have gone to prep school before continuing their college careers. I've never been by the academy and have only passed by the community on US 58. It's amazing that so many inner-city black youths have gone to a Baptist boarding school out in the middle of nowhere in Appalachia where you can't even get a decent cell phone signal. Among the names of alumni that might be recognizable are Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant and Rajon Rondo.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Ball Ground (yes, it's a community in GA) => Dunsmuir (CA)

Quote from: hbelkins on February 12, 2017, 09:19:09 PM
Quote from: oscar on February 12, 2017, 04:45:51 PM
Not what H.B. played, but "Mouth of Wilson" above it on the sign he just posted is rather, um, "unique" (and a new one for me).

Mouth of Wilson is best known as being the home of Oak Hill Academy, where a whole lot of superstar basketball players have gone to prep school before continuing their college careers. I've never been by the academy and have only passed by the community on US 58. It's amazing that so many inner-city black youths have gone to a Baptist boarding school out in the middle of nowhere in Appalachia where you can't even get a decent cell phone signal. Among the names of alumni that might be recognizable are Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant and Rajon Rondo.

Good to know that, as well as that the town is named for a waterway rather than a loud local resident. :)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jmd41280

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

wanderer2575

7/8

MNHighwayMan

Mapmikey

Earlham -> Mount Clinton

SR 726 Rockingham County

formulanone

Quote from: oscar on February 12, 2017, 10:16:42 AM
formulaone's photo skips past my Norris Arm North photo, and 1995hoo's Trenton photo, on page 41 of this thread

Sorry about that. Things became a little confusing!

Mount Clinton -> Norfolk

oscar

Norfolk => Kailua (HI) (or Hilo, per A rule):

Note: This is a different Kailua than I previously played, which was on Oahu. The Big Island's Kailua is better known as Kailua-Kona. Duplicate placenames are common in Hawaii, a carryover from when the islands were split among four different kingdoms.

7/8

oscar

7/8, it seems we're stuck on the ending 'y' in Allegany. We've sometimes had this kind of problem, when the _____y signs posted outrun other posters' supplies of Y____ sign photos.

Could you sub in another photo with an A starting letter, that is easier for others to play from? (Even an A___y, if there are other placenames in the photo that posters can play from under the Y rule.) Or another photo with an O starting letter (playing off Hilo), an option allowed by the A rule.

7/8

Quote from: oscar on February 13, 2017, 07:51:38 PM
7/8, it seems we're stuck on the ending 'y' in Allegany. We've sometimes had this kind of problem, when the _____y signs posted outrun other posters' supplies of Y____ sign photos.

Could you sub in another photo with an A starting letter, that is easier for others to play from? (Even an A___y, if there are other placenames in the photo that posters can play from under the Y rule.) Or another photo with an O starting letter (playing off Hilo), an option allowed by the A rule.

No worries, I'll replace it with this photo of Abercorn, QC

1995hoo

Abercorn ---> Norwood

This is probably stretching the "city name" concept a bit too far.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OracleUsr

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 13, 2017, 06:07:14 AM
Kemptville → Earlham

I assume that's Iowa (looked the town name and that was the first state that came up).

Are they totally abandoning Clearview now?  Or is that just a fluke?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: OracleUsr on February 13, 2017, 10:42:35 PM
I assume that's Iowa (looked the town name and that was the first state that came up).

Are they totally abandoning Clearview now?  Or is that just a fluke?

It is Iowa, yes, and since the interim approval of Clearview was revoked, Iowa DOT has gone back to using the FHWA series fonts. However, I believe this panel is older than the point at which they started using Clearview, since the square behind the county route marker is white, not yellow.

Edit: Here's an example of a new FHWA-series panel with the yellow square instead. Although I just noticed that the Exit tab uses Clearview :-D

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2017, 10:38:11 PM
Abercorn ---> Norwood

This is probably stretching the "city name" concept a bit too far.

Norwood ---> Dieterich

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

7/8

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

oscar

"Melita" is my late mother's first name. That gave me a good response, at the border crossing south of Melita, Manitoba, to the "why are you re-entering the U.S. here, out in the middle of nowhere?" question. (The other reason I didn't mention was to clinch the north end of US 83, and the south end of MB 83.)

East Haddam => Melita (MB):

Eth

7/8

Athens to Salamanca, NY (on I-86)

oscar

Salamanca => Abrahams Cove (NL):

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.