News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Whataburger vs. What-A-Burger

Started by CanesFan27, September 25, 2022, 06:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 12:33:30 AM
Quote from: jgb191 on October 27, 2022, 12:30:12 AM
I have gladly stayed away from In-N-Out, and still have zero interest in even stepping foot in one of those.

I'm on a trip to Las Vegas at the moment. On the way here, we stopped at a Whataburger in Amarillo. Two days later, we had In-N-Out in Las Vegas.

In-N-Out blew Whataburger out of the water. It wasn't even close. And I'm traveling with a Texan, who agreed with that assessment.

(On the day in between, we ate at Carl's Jr. in Winslow, Arizona. It was meh.)

Were you standing on the corner?

Rothman

Quote from: jgb191 on October 27, 2022, 12:30:12 AM
I have gladly stayed away from In-N-Out, and still have zero interest in even stepping foot in one of those.
Just because they don't have chicken sandwiches?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ClassicHasClass

Quoteit makes the wait even longer

Waitaburger?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on October 27, 2022, 06:33:45 AM

There actually is a corner designated as the corner. We didn't bother to go find it. We might on the way back.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 01:18:16 PM

There actually is a corner designated as the corner. We didn't bother to go find it. We might on the way back.

Look for the girl in the flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at you.  She may have Whataburger.

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on October 27, 2022, 02:43:35 PM

Look for the girl in the flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at you.  She may have Whataburger.

If she did, it'd be cold as shit by the time it got to Winslow.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 02:53:53 PM
If she did, it'd be cold as shit by the time it got to Winslow.

pooing is cold
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 02:14:57 AM
One thing that was sort of weird about the Whataburger in Amarillo was that it required a password to get into the bathroom. That was a new one for me. I don't think the one in Norman is like that.

I've seen that twice in the past few months - fast food restaurants restrooms with a cypher lock requiring a four digit PIN.  Maybe to keep vagrants (or perverts) out?

Scott5114

Quote from: dlsterner on October 27, 2022, 03:04:32 PM
One thing that was sort of weird about the Whataburger in Amarillo was that it required a password to get into the bathroom. That was a new one for me. I don't think the one in Norman is like that.

I've seen that twice in the past few months - fast food restaurants restrooms with a cypher lock requiring a four digit PIN.  Maybe to keep vagrants (or perverts) out?

That's my guess. In this case, it was five digits though–98765 for the women's and 54321 for the men's. (I overheard the clerk telling a woman the code and tried punching it in for the men's, and it didn't work, so I had to go back and ask for the men's.)

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2022, 08:25:06 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on September 26, 2022, 09:04:13 AM
After moving to Texas, I do miss Carl's Jr and the pile-of-sin called the "Western Bacon Cheeseburger". The closest locations are in Anna and Rockwall. Both are at least a 30-minute drive away, and one is even longer if I want to avoid utilizing the toll road.

Carl's Jr. is meh. The flavors of their food are good but the presentation always leaves something to be desired. Burgers usually come with wilted lettuce and ten gallons of mayo. I'm always tempted to buy it plain and add the condiments at home, but if I have to do that, why the hell am I buying a burger from someone else in the first place?

The only "veggie" on a Western Bacon Cheeseburger is the onion rings. Like I said, it's a pile-of-sin. The only other thing I miss is the Bacon Swiss Chicken Sandwich, but not as much. Considering that the last time I visited a Carl's Jr was July, 2021, I guess I don't miss them that much.

The challenge I have with In-N-Out burgers is they have good burgers, but a long wait time and not-so-great fries.

To each their own.... There are several good small hamburger places to try around here.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hbelkins

Quote from: dlsterner on October 27, 2022, 03:04:32 PM

I've seen this at the White Castle in downtown Louisville. The restroom access code is printed on the receipt. I don't know how often it changes.

As for the Whataburger vs. In-N-Out, I've never had the latter. There wasn't one in the vicinity of the SF metro area we stayed in during our Amtrak trip three years ago, and our subsequent trip out west last year didn't really put us near one during lunch time (I guess we could have stopped at SLC) but I had researched the menu options online and was disappointed in the choices.

I had Whataburger once and was not impressed. I'd be willing to give them another chance should I have the opportunity, but I wasn't overly wowed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

texaskdog

[/quote]

I had Whataburger once and was not impressed. I'd be willing to give them another chance should I have the opportunity, but I wasn't overly wowed.
[/quote]

As a Texan I should love it but meh the greasy bacon burgers aren't that great, and they are incredibly slow.  If you go in one with no one else there you'll be there 20 minutes.  The lines at 3:30 at every location are around the block.

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on October 27, 2022, 05:05:16 PM
The challenge I have with In-N-Out burgers is they have good burgers, but a long wait time and not-so-great fries.

This might just be a location-to-location thing. The times I've been there, both in Texas and Nevada, the wait was reasonable. Even at high noon, just across I-15 from the Strip on Tropicana, they were cranking them out despite being practically mobbed.

The same can be said for Whataburger, though. The Whataburger in Norman is nearly always exorbitantly slow, but the locations in Texas, and the one I visited in the Tulsa suburbs, had reasonable wait times.

As for the In-N-Out fries, they are definitely different enough from the typical fast-food fry I can see why some might not like them.

Road Hog

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 08:55:02 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on October 27, 2022, 05:05:16 PM

This might just be a location-to-location thing. The times I've been there, both in Texas and Nevada, the wait was reasonable. Even at high noon, just across I-15 from the Strip on Tropicana, they were cranking them out despite being practically mobbed.

The same can be said for Whataburger, though. The Whataburger in Norman is nearly always exorbitantly slow, but the locations in Texas, and the one I visited in the Tulsa suburbs, had reasonable wait times.

As for the In-N-Out fries, they are definitely different enough from the typical fast-food fry I can see why some might not like them.
Every fast food establishment these days is hit-or-miss for staffing. The affluent suburbs suffer more in this regard.

In-N-Out's fries are cut from real honest-to-goodness potatoes, and not some mutant tallow-soaked concoction in a frozen bag. So if you like Ronald McDonald, knock yourself out with that mutant tallow-soaked concoction in a frozen bag.

Scott5114

Norman's Whataburger has been slow since they built the thing; it's not a staffing issue, it's a management one. One location in a college town with a bunch of students who come up from Texas = more customers than the location can handle.

Rothman

Quote from: Road Hog on October 28, 2022, 12:43:32 AM
Every fast food establishment these days is hit-or-miss for staffing. The affluent suburbs suffer more in this regard.

In-N-Out's fries are cut from real honest-to-goodness potatoes...

First statement hasn't been true for a while now.  I find that things have returned to some places being well-run and others not so much.  I don't see a correlation to wealthy suburbs.

In one of the wealthy suburbs here, the Sonic stinks, but other places are staffed well enough.  It's not a situation where a blanket statement can be made.

I didn't find In-N-Out's fries particularly memorable.  Then again, I prefer the fries some diners serve where they are hefty chunks of potato.  Also like Five Guys fries...

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Road Hog

Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2022, 06:57:37 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on October 28, 2022, 12:43:32 AM

In-N-Out's fries are cut from real honest-to-goodness potatoes...

First statement hasn't been true for a while now.  I find that things have returned to some places being well-run and others not so much.  I don't see a correlation to wealthy suburbs.

In one of the wealthy suburbs here, the Sonic stinks, but other places are staffed well enough.  It's not a situation where a blanket statement can be made.
That's why I said it is hit-or-miss lol

skluth

You can see it in GSV. I took a selfie there last year. It's nothing special but it's easier to get to than the Meteor Crater (which is special and worth visiting).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.