News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highway enthuests

Started by doglover44, October 07, 2017, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglover44

Are there any I 75/I70 enthuests here ?

doglover44

Never been on I-75 in Michigan

adventurernumber1

Quote from: doglover44 on October 07, 2017, 12:33:12 PM
Are there any I 75/I70 enthuests enthusiasts here ?
(FIFY)

You bet!!!  :nod:

I-75 is actually my favorite interstate. This is because in general it is indeed a very nice interstate, but mostly because I literally live right off of it.  :D

I really do love Interstate 75. There's not any part of it that I've been on that I haven't enjoyed (unless we count when horrible traffic jams happen on I-75 in Atlanta...). In my neck of the woods, Interstate 75 in northwest Georgia, from Metro Atlanta to Tennessee, is truly scenic and wonderful. There is mountains and hills and more. From an infrastructure standpoint, it is quite aesthetically pleasing. Many interchanges on this stretch of I-75 have been redone, and some are being worked on right now (like Exit 326 and Exit 348), and some will be in the future. This goes to show how much traffic I-75 has in this area - the fact that it is 3 lanes each way, but especially the fact that in the future it is actually being considered to be widened to 4 lanes each way - would ya believe that!! There are many beautiful views on I-75 in northwest Georgia. Interstate 75 in all of Tennessee is a real treat. I have been only on I-75 in TN from Georgia to Knoxville, but I know very well what it looks like even from Knoxville to Kentucky, due to watching BigRigTravels and other sources. Interstate 75 in Chattanooga is really nice, and much of it was widened and has nice new concrete from several years ago - however, even so, some of it, particularly near I-24, can get clogged up with traffic sometimes - this is why I think I have been the first to propose an I-875 (GA-TN) eastern bypass of Chattanooga. Right where Metro Chattanooga ends (going north), there is a beautiful ridge that I-75 traverses - going southbound in this spot will give you some mesmerizing views! I-75 from Chattanooga to Knoxville has many pretty hills and small ridges (and lots of those ridges at that) and lots of pleasant views - but beware, as this stretch of interstate is notorious for terrible, dangerous fog, so if you travel on it, please, please be wary! Interstate 75 in Knoxville is also a nice drive as well, but at this moment I cannot recall typical traffic conditions on it. I-75 in northern Tennessee is an amazing drive (which I've seen on the internet, but not in real life). The scenery and views are absolutely beautiful, and I even think that for a fairly long distance I-75 runs on top of a ridge (nope, not a plateau, but a ridge). That must harbor some great views! While notorious for terrible traffic problems, the road itself of I-75 in the Atlanta area is incredibly nice. The infrastructure is extremely aesthetically pleasing - there are many beautiful bridges and interchanges and more, and of course the Atlanta Skyline is mesmerizing. There are of course numerous beautiful road-related sights. It can't beat mountains, but I also love rolling hills as well, and they can harbor good views of their own, especially near a fall line, which is why I also love Interstate 75 in Georgia from Atlanta to Macon. And believe it or not, I even love Interstate 75 in Florida and southern Georgia. I-75 in southern GA is a nice treat from an infrastructure standpoint - it has been newly widened, and many interchanges and overpasses have been given some love. From a scenery standpoint, I do even enjoy the widen open farms, trees, and, of course, the many billboards (  :D ). I just absolutely love Florida in general, and I can't get enough of it (no sarcasm), and I love the roads in Florida, too. Florida maintains their roads incredibly well, and Interstate 75 is no exception. I even love the trees, swamps, and horse farms off I-75 in Florida. The infrastructure certainly is nice, and all of Florida's roads, including I-75, are a real treat. Interstate 75 is mostly 6 lanes and above in most of Georgia and Florida, so that facilitates traffic flow, and would definitely make driving on I-75 in GA and FL very fun and relaxed from a traffic standpoint - heck, I even think that I-75 in Georgia just south of I-475 (southwest of Macon, south of the southern I-75/I-475 interchange) is up to 10 lanes (5 lanes each way) - wow is that nice!! I have not been on any other part of I-75 other than what I've already said, nor have I watched extensive coverage of it to know very well what it looks like.

I also really love Interstate 70. I have not been on any part of I-70 other than in Denver and through much of the mountains in Colorado. And I'll say, Interstate 70 in Colorado is truly spectacular!!! I-70 through the mountains of Colorado (including the Eisenhower Tunnel) has got to be one of the most awesome drives in the country, including the amazing engineering feat through the Glenwood Canyon. I have been on much of I-70 in the Colorado mountains on many different ski trips over there. I absolutely love it!! Interstate 70 going Westbound in Denver, CO gives a really mesmerizing view of the Rocky Mountains, and the joy that is to come! While I haven't been on it in real life, I know that I-70 in Utah is also a beautiful drive, that's for sure!

Needless to say, I absolutely love both I-75 and I-70, and I have great memories on much of both interstates.  :nod:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Flint1979

I-75 is pretty much my best friend usually, followed very closely by I-94, I-69 and I-96. I've traveled every stretch of I-75 from Sault Ste. Marie all the way to Tampa and love that highway. I-75 is my main highway though probably because I live very close to it and it takes me north and south two directions I travel in the most. In my part of Michigan there isn't an east-west Interstate, there is however US-10 that's an expressway at least between Bay City and Clare.

I can by heart name every exit along I-75 from exit 227 to exit 48 in Michigan. That's from Houghton Lake to Detroit.

hbelkins

Truth be told, although I-75 is the closest interstate to where I live, I don't really like it and try to avoid it whenever possible. Too much traffic for my liking. In fact, I have a meeting in Newport later this month and will be driving US 27 instead of I-75 to get there.

As for I-70, I was on it last weekend (Columbus to Cambridge) and there's nothing special about it. My favorite parts of I-70, at least in my general area, are the substandard portion of the route between Washington and New Stanton, Pa., and Breezewood (yes, Breezewood) to Frederick, even though much of that is too heavily-traveled for my liking.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

I've actually been able to walk 5 miles of I-75, and you can too.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheHighwayMan3561

I've driven all but a few miles of I-75 in MI (missing the sections between the I-675 junctions and north of M-28). I loved St. Ignace, personally. I've been over the Mackinac twice, once as a passenger and once as a driver, yet somehow when I was the driver the idea of driving over it made me much more nervous than it did when I was the passenger.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

I've been to both ends of I-75, I'm just missing a bunch in the middle (especially Ohio and Kentucky). Only state in which I've travelled the whole route is Florida.

Our trip to St. Louis over the coming two weeks will allow me to knock off some chunks of I-70, but I'll still be missing almost everything from I-64 west (except for about 50 miles around Denver) and a few small pieces in Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. That's the thing that always feels like the map taunting you when you have to choose between routes (assuming doubling back way out of the way isn't an option).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 08, 2017, 04:49:45 AM
I've driven all but a few miles of I-75 in MI (missing the sections between the I-675 junctions and north of M-28). I loved St. Ignace, personally. I've been over the Mackinac twice, once as a passenger and once as a driver, yet somehow when I was the driver the idea of driving over it made me much more nervous than it did when I was the passenger.
If your missing the 5 mile stretch between the I-675 sections than the biggest thing you've missed is driving across the Zilwaukee Bridge. North of M-28 your not missing much.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.