News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: Alps on January 14, 2020, 10:58:13 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on January 14, 2020, 08:17:10 AM
I noticed that on Fayette Street at President Street and I-83 in Baltimore, I-83 is marked as "TO I-83" . Isn't Fayette I-83's southern terminus, or does President Street continue slightly to the north?
https://goo.gl/maps/Vo8Lu8zPBwVjbbzH8
https://goo.gl/maps/LBeBvTqoge4kcyLv7

So it looks like the street sign is the only place that says TO, and my guess is that 83 starts at the Fallsway "exit".

It's not CA, so they don't put up freeway entrance signs (which would delineate the official starting point).  In my view, SB I-83 ends at Fayette.  NB, I-83 doesn't really begin until after the Fallsway exit. 

I say this because it appears that President Street NB, south of Baltimore St, now has a narrow curbside bike lane.  When you go across Baltimore St, you see signs that say "share the road" (referring to sharing space with bicycles).  Presumably, bicycles are allowed to continue on President St and then get off on Fallsway.  Just north of Fallsway, pedestrians and bikes are prohibited, as can be seen in the sign:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2914739,-76.6071888,3a,75y,306.76h,86.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUWBQoMT-sieYFr_9z3yahQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It should also be noted that there is a sidewalk along this stretch of street as well, continuing as the sidewalk adjacent to Fallsway.

I always take the small street signs as more official than the big signs that are hung on signals.  If you look carefully at the corner, it seems that the city considers this part of President to actually be part of Fallsway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2908879,-76.6065003,3a,75y,83.35h,75.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMINAlh67mh6ytAMEa0c4-w!2e0!5s20171001T000000!7i13312!8i6656

There is also a church that sits right at the point of the Fallsway exit.  Unfortunately it's address is on Front Street (parallel street one block to the east), so we can't use the address to determine officially if this is Fallsway or President. I maintain that its Fallsway, but to keep things simple, the big signs refer to it as President St, to I-83.

1995hoo

This picture appeared in the obits in the Washington Post. As you can guess from the sign he's carrying, it was a civil rights march along the Beltway on June 9, 1966. What I found interesting were the old signs in the background, especially the Jersey Turnpike—style "THRU TRAFFIC" pull-thru sign.

The obit is linked below (may be paywalled). It says they walked all the way around the entire Beltway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/j-charles-jones-civil-rights-activist-who-led-protest-walk-around-beltway-dies-at-82/2020/01/18/21978438-395b-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 20, 2020, 05:02:36 PM
What I found interesting were the old signs in the background, especially the Jersey Turnpike—style "THRU TRAFFIC" pull-thru sign.
Actually, such was an old-school MUTCD standard.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 21, 2020, 02:03:02 PM
What I found interesting were the old signs in the background, especially the Jersey Turnpike—style "THRU TRAFFIC" pull-thru sign.

I-95 through the near-downtown Wilmington trench had "[I-95 shield] NORTH [or SOUTH]/THRU/TRAFFIC" signs in the '70s.

ixnay

cpzilliacus

The THRU TRAFFIC signs were common along the entire Maryland part of the Capital Beltway from 1964 until the 1970's.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 22, 2020, 03:36:14 PM

The THRU TRAFFIC signs were common along the entire Maryland part of the Capital Beltway from 1964 until the 1970's.

That time period is one reason why I was not familiar with this ever having been common other than on the Jersey Turnpike.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Did you know, I used the Francis Scott Key Bridge in December, passed through the toll plaza without an E-Z Pass, and I still haven't received a bill yet?

MASTERNC

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 22, 2020, 04:57:26 PM
Did you know, I used the Francis Scott Key Bridge in December, passed through the toll plaza without an E-Z Pass, and I still haven't received a bill yet?

Not the first time.  I used the I-95 ETLs once (late at night after a thunderstorm) and my E-ZPass was never debited.

D-Dey65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 16, 2019, 11:59:48 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2019, 09:28:00 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find something distinct about the various liquor stores along US 301 in Charles County, Maryland? I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like they're fishing for customers who can't get certain types of alcohol in Virginia or other counties, or whatever the deal is.

But either way, there's this one in LaPlata that's right next to a strip mall.

Not unique to Charles County.

There are several stores that sell hard liquor north of the Maryland/Virginia border on U.S. 13 in Somerset County, Maryland too.
I completely forgot about that aspect of US 13.

sbeaver44

I clinched MD 68, MD 79, MD 17, and MD 478 yesterday, as well as drove MD 67 end-to-end, which I've done before.

MD 67 to me is a perfect example of the best of Maryland's quite superior (at least compared to PennDOT's) design.  Good signage, free flowing, bypassing small towns when needed, but still allowing access.  Mostly 55. 

MD 17 is one of those oddball routes where the designation itself stops but I followed the successor route up to MD 77.

It is my understanding that MD 79 is now shorter than it would have been a few years ago?  Apparently only about 1 mile is MD 79, but the rest of the road up to MD 180 is no longer state maintained and so is no longer MD 79?

I did MD 478 EB and I don't remember seeing a reassure sign after the initial turn from MD 180.

Brunswick is a great little town, btw!

ARMOURERERIC

I owned a home on MD 478 from 1988 to 1991

cpzilliacus

The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) replaces BGS and BBS sign panels under its control about every 10 years, if they need replacement or not.  The MDTA's "free" roads sister agency, MDOT/SHA, leaves signs out there for sometimes 20 or 30 years before replacement. 

So many of the signs on the JFK Highway part of I-95 are being replaced now (in some cases the news signs have been installed but the old ones are still standing).

Two things are interesting about the new signs:

(1) The use of LEFT at the entrances to the Chesapeake House and Maryland House Service plazas  - and on new signs that have been installed 5 to 7 miles in advance of the service plaza entrances.

(2) MDTA is not installing lighting on these new overhead signs, which may be the first time I have ever seen Maryland do that since the 1960's (nearly all overhead signs in Maryland have had lighting for many years).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

storm2k

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 24, 2020, 10:56:24 AM
The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) replaces BGS and BBS sign panels under its control about every 10 years, if they need replacement or not.  The MDTA's "free" roads sister agency, MDOT/SHA, leaves signs out there for sometimes 20 or 30 years before replacement. 

So many of the signs on the JFK Highway part of I-95 are being replaced now (in some cases the news signs have been installed but the old ones are still standing).

(1) The use of LEFT at the entrances to the Chesapeake House and Maryland House Service plazas  - and on new signs that have been installed 5 to 7 miles in advance of the service plaza entrances.

(2) MDTA is not installing lighting on these new overhead signs, which may be the first time I have ever seen Maryland do that since the 1960's (nearly all overhead signs in Maryland have had lighting for many years).

Guess they figure they're saving money. Seems to be the trend in most of the Northeast these days. NJDOT has mostly phased out sign illumination, except in some odd cases (280 at Exit 4, for instance) and you know the ghost was given up when the NJTA didn't illuminate the MUTCD replacement signage on the Turnpike, except in some odd cases (I'm guessing fog concerns, but I never got their motivations for which signs got illumination and which didn't). PA seems to be giving up the ghost on illumination too. PTC is going straight monotube with no illumination. Given how good retroflectivity has gotten on modern signage, the illumination is just an unnecessary expense in most regards I suppose.

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on February 24, 2020, 11:32:38 AMPA seems to be giving up the ghost on illumination too. PTC is going straight monotube with no illumination. Given how good retroflectivity has gotten on modern signage, the illumination is just an unnecessary expense in most regards I suppose.
IIRC, the PTC hasn't installed illuminated guidance signs for a least 25 to 30 years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on February 24, 2020, 11:32:38 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 24, 2020, 10:56:24 AM

Guess they figure they're saving money. Seems to be the trend in most of the Northeast these days. NJDOT has mostly phased out sign illumination, except in some odd cases (280 at Exit 4, for instance) and you know the ghost was given up when the NJTA didn't illuminate the MUTCD replacement signage on the Turnpike, except in some odd cases (I'm guessing fog concerns, but I never got their motivations for which signs got illumination and which didn't). PA seems to be giving up the ghost on illumination too. PTC is going straight monotube with no illumination. Given how good retroflectivity has gotten on modern signage, the illumination is just an unnecessary expense in most regards I suppose.
Illumination is only required in general when you have weather or visibility concerns. Signs now are plenty reflective. Don't fret.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 23, 2020, 06:05:33 PM
I clinched MD 68, MD 79, MD 17, and MD 478 yesterday, as well as drove MD 67 end-to-end, which I've done before.

MD 67 to me is a perfect example of the best of Maryland's quite superior (at least compared to PennDOT's) design.  Good signage, free flowing, bypassing small towns when needed, but still allowing access.  Mostly 55. 

MD 17 is one of those oddball routes where the designation itself stops but I followed the successor route up to MD 77.

I always thought that stopping MD 17 at the Washington County line was rather arbitrary. It should either be extended to MD 77 (with mileage elsewhere being dropped) or cut back to a more sensible terminus. And it still bugs me slightly that it isn't signed as MD 33.

It is my understanding that MD 79 is now shorter than it would have been a few years ago?  Apparently only about 1 mile is MD 79, but the rest of the road up to MD 180 is no longer state maintained and so is no longer MD 79?

I did MD 478 EB and I don't remember seeing a reassure sign after the initial turn from MD 180.

The SHA stopped posting their PDF copies of the HLR in 2016 so it's much more difficult to check route status now.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on February 24, 2020, 09:16:04 PM
Illumination is only required in general when you have weather or visibility concerns. Signs now are plenty reflective. Don't fret.

I agree.  There are two types of signs that should have illumination beyond the categories you mention above.

(1) A sign panel that has a variable component (Maryland weigh stations are examples, with the OPEN or CLOSED part being variable); and

(2) BYS panels warning of hazards ahead (think the long descent on MD-135 in Garrett County as an example, though I am not sure that all of those signs have lighting).

Alps

Quote from: TheOneKEA on February 24, 2020, 10:43:35 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 23, 2020, 06:05:33 PM

I always thought that stopping MD 17 at the Washington County line was rather arbitrary. It should either be extended to MD 77 (with mileage elsewhere being dropped) or cut back to a more sensible terminus. And it still bugs me slightly that it isn't signed as MD 33.

The SHA stopped posting their PDF copies of the HLR in 2016 so it's much more difficult to check route status now.
Not like MD has mileage they can drop anywhere in their compact, easy to understand system.  :rolleyes:

cpzilliacus

It was not especially easy to find on the MDOT/SHA Web site, but there is indeed a 2018 Highway Location Reference for calendar year 2018 for Baltimore City!  Last one I have seen was back in 2005.  It is here (as the 24th county).

It faithfully includes the 0.14 mile long segment of I-70 that is in the city.

ipeters61

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 25, 2020, 08:03:21 AM
It was not especially easy to find on the MDOT/SHA Web site, but there is indeed a 2018 Highway Location Reference for calendar year 2018 for Baltimore City!  Last one I have seen was back in 2005.  It is here (as the 24th county).

But I thought I-70 ends at I-695:)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ipeters61 on February 25, 2020, 08:14:02 PM

When it comes to the extent of state-maintained highways in Maryland, I consider the Highway Location Reference to be canon.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 26, 2020, 11:11:06 PM
When it comes to the extent of state-maintained highways in Maryland, I consider the Highway Location Reference to be canon.
I believe that the I-70 signed route ends at I-695.

However, the constructed I-70 extends to Security Blvd. and to that end point 0.14 mile into the city.

Actually it is signed as I-70 --
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3028497,-76.7156301,3a,75y,241.46h,92.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSe0qNnUTIyPFgxv5vjDaYg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DSe0qNnUTIyPFgxv5vjDaYg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D37.589325%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on February 26, 2020, 11:21:28 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 26, 2020, 11:11:06 PM
I believe that the I-70 signed route ends at I-695.

However, the constructed I-70 extends to Security Blvd. and to that end point 0.14 mile into the city.

Actually it is signed as I-70 --
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3028497,-76.7156301,3a,75y,241.46h,92.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSe0qNnUTIyPFgxv5vjDaYg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DSe0qNnUTIyPFgxv5vjDaYg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D37.589325%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Had the Baltimore Red Line been moved to construction, then I am fairly sure that the state would have officially removed all of I-70 inside I-695 from the Interstate system.

froggie

^ They already had preliminary approval to do so before Hogan cancelled the Red Line...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 27, 2020, 12:02:39 AM
^ They already had preliminary approval to do so before Hogan cancelled the Red Line...

I am aware of that.  I think FHWA had approved it, but it was apparently never finalized since it is still in the HLR.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.