News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Chinese expressways and highways

Started by TheGrassGuy, December 10, 2019, 03:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 07, 2021, 11:07:07 PM
Fujian is a poor province?
Yes, it's a common thought from richer areas like the Yangtze and Pearl River delta areas that Fujian is a poor province. But for tourism, Xiamen is much more popular destination than Fuzhou for both Chinese and foreigners, so maybe they have pinyin on their freeway BGS before Fuzhou did. The old control city BGS in Fujian is like what I sent earlier in the thread:
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 02, 2021, 01:26:40 PM

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheGrassGuy

Check out Chengdu provincial ring expressways if you don't like numbers :spin:

Plutonic Panda

Pretty amazing video. China really is an incredible country. I've never even heard of many of these cities yet their infrastructure is marveling.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 16, 2022, 05:23:43 AM
Pretty amazing video. China really is an incredible country. I've never even heard of many of these cities yet their infrastructure is marveling.

As I have heard from multiple people, including my parents who lived in China for a while, China is very good at building, but not so much at maintaining.  Another friend of mine who lived there said, after they built that one particularly high suspension bridge, "Better drive over it now rather than in 10 years..."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Rothman on October 16, 2022, 07:52:39 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 16, 2022, 05:23:43 AM

As I have heard from multiple people, including my parents who lived in China for a while, China is very good at building, but not so much at maintaining.  Another friend of mine who lived there said, after they built that one particularly high suspension bridge, "Better drive over it now rather than in 10 years..."
Chongqing is a very hilly city. Reminds me of Pittsburgh in terms of terrain.

Chris

The Chinese expressway system is built in a national grid, with the addition of seven radial routes of Beijing: G1 to G7.

G7 is the newest addition, originally there were six radial routes. G7 runs from Beijing to Ürümqi and is also called the Jingxin Expressway (Beijing - Xinjiang Expressway).

An 1,100 kilometer stretch of expressway opened simultaneously in 2017 between Bayannur, Inner Mongolia and Kumul, Xinjiang. This is the longest single highway opening ever in the world.

This stretch runs through extremely remote terrain in western Inner Mongolia, northern Gansu and eastern Xinjiang, with no historic road preceding it, so it only made sense to open it in its entirety as it would otherwise go nowhere. G7 traverses isolated desert and mountain ranges, just south of Mongolia.

Here are some photos of this stretch of expressway. I wonder what the traffic volumes are, I doubt if it is more than 1,000 vehicles per day, maybe even less.

andrepoiy

Built for "national unity" over any usefulness

CNGL-Leudimin

I call it the "Middle of Nowhere expressway" due to obvious reasons. I gave it that name while it was still in the planning stages. Several of the distances between exits are really crazy: If you miss the Aogandelige exit (exit 1344) going West the next one is over 90 miles (147 km to be exact) away, already approaching Ejin Banner.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheGrassGuy

Chris

China has an expressway that runs within a mile of a glacier.

This is G0615 Dema Expressway (Delingha - Ma'erkang Expressway) in Qinghai province. It runs through extremely remote mountain terrain, with two mountain passes in excess of 4,400 meters above sea level.

The glacier (location)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.