News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

‘Don’t go there’: The towering Tahoe landmark mired in decades of controversy

Started by ZLoth, July 15, 2023, 02:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

'Don't go there': The towering Tahoe landmark mired in decades of controversy
QuoteFor most, the drive along the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe is serene.

The road's virtually untouched forest, rocks, cliffs and beaches stretch for miles upon miles – the Nevada side of the lake remaining much less developed than the tourist-heavy western shore in California, boasting plenty of views and pristine greenery. Set against the stunning blue waters of Lake Tahoe itself, the stretch of highway provides a tranquility and spirituality that binds the region and its residents together.

But along this peaceful shoreline, stands a natural monument steeped in controversy, court rulings, controversial tunnels, and even secretive ceremonies known only to a select number of Indigenous people – Cave Rock.

The rugged and eroded remains of an ancient volcanic core stand tall over Highway 50 on the Nevada side.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

roadfro

Thank you for sharing this. I've been aware of some of the history of Cave Rock and the sacred status it holds among the Washoe, but it was nice to get a lot more historical context. I never knew that its status is so sacred that many in the tribe have never been there or would even venture to pass through the tunnels.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Quillz

Quote from: roadfro on July 15, 2023, 04:11:19 PM
Thank you for sharing this. I've been aware of some of the history of Cave Rock and the sacred status it holds among the Washoe, but it was nice to get a lot more historical context. I never knew that its status is so sacred that many in the tribe have never been there or would even venture to pass through the tunnels.
This seems to be common in a lot of indigenous cultures. I know in Australia, the natives would never climb Uluru, despite it being open to tourists. (It might not be anymore, though). I know Shiprock in New Mexico is similar. Likewise, I believe the Alaska natives named Denali but never had any intention of trying to climb it.

ClassicHasClass

Duke87

Quote from: Quillz on July 15, 2023, 06:00:29 PM
This seems to be common in a lot of indigenous cultures. I know in Australia, the natives would never climb Uluru, despite it being open to tourists. (It might not be anymore, though). I know Shiprock in New Mexico is similar. Likewise, I believe the Alaska natives named Denali but never had any intention of trying to climb it.

Right, it's a little bit like if people from some foreign culture went to Europe and decided churches were awesome places to have concerts and throw parties, oblivious to the irreverence of it because the idea of a manmade building being a sacred space is completely foreign to them.

Meanwhile the idea of a natural physical feature being a sacred space is completely foreign to any modern non-native American. And people like climbing things so convincing them to stop is a fight.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

Every time I've hiked to the top of Cave Rock I've had zero issue finding a parking space at the tiny trailhead. 

Also, someone telling me "not to do something or go somewhere"  along legally accessible land tends to just act enticement if I'm already inclined to visit a place.  I can't really say if that was a factor in my case with Cave Rock, but it has certainly been a factor many times though my travels.  I get that the tribe considers Cave Rock sacred, but it's also been part of major highways back to the 19th century.  Suffice to say the time for preservation has long since passed.  The damage long done and can't be undone.

US 89

Quote from: Duke87 on July 17, 2023, 10:10:23 PM

Right, it's a little bit like if people from some foreign culture went to Europe and decided churches were awesome places to have concerts and throw parties, oblivious to the irreverence of it because the idea of a manmade building being a sacred space is completely foreign to them.

Right, but churches aren't so sacred that Europeans would never dare to even enter one.

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2023, 10:17:09 PM
Every time I've hiked to the top of Cave Rock I've had zero issue finding a parking space at the tiny trailhead.

Lucky you. At least 90% of the time I have tried to get there, you can't find parking either at the trailhead or anywhere on the road. And I have tried many times, because I work nearby. It is an extremely popular shot for photo shoots and social media influencers.

Quote from: US 89 on July 23, 2023, 12:10:40 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on July 17, 2023, 10:10:23 PM

Right, but churches aren't so sacred that Europeans would never dare to even enter one.

Yes, it's a belief more common in American and Oceanic indigenous cultures than western culture. Abrahamic religions consider constructed spaces sacred, American/Oceanic religions consider nature sacred. Not saying one is better than the other, just that it is and that the concepts are completely foreign to one another.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Fall season tends to be my go-to for Tahoe visits.  Not quite warm enough to be comfortable for water activities and not cold enough to be snowing quite yet. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.