News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Monitor pass, Sonora pass and Ebbetts pass now open

Started by Inyomono395, June 10, 2023, 06:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inyomono395

In case anyone was wondering, all the Sierra passes have been opened except Tioga pass.  Monitor pass has been open for about a month. Sonora and Ebbetts pass have just opened in the past couple of days.

cl94

Ebbetts opened Thursday, Sonora opened yesterday. I may have driven both of them today. Ebbetts will probably be better when some more snow melts and you can actually get into the viewpoints/etc, but Sonora? Drive that now. And stop at the overlooks, because holy crap are there a ton of waterfalls both along the road and roaring down tall cliffs across the valley.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dbz77

Quote from: cl94 on June 11, 2023, 12:01:22 AM
Ebbetts opened Thursday, Sonora opened yesterday. I may have driven both of them today. Ebbetts will probably be better when some more snow melts and you can actually get into the viewpoints/etc, but Sonora? Drive that now. And stop at the overlooks, because holy crap are there a ton of waterfalls both along the road and roaring down tall cliffs across the valley.
Just drove Monitor Pass on the way to Tahoe.

gonealookin

Caltrans completed the necessary repairs on SR 120 from US 395 at Lee Vining west up to the entrance to Yosemite National Park, and that part of the road was opened yesterday (July 13).

The Tioga Road within the National Park remains closed at this time.  There are a couple areas on the road that need repairs, and winter damage to the water systems means they are going to have to bring in porta potties for a while.

Quote from: National Park Service
The avalanche hazard at Olmsted Point is declining due to the recent warm temperatures melting the heavy snow and ice. We are working to repair road damage at Olmsted Point, 10 miles west of Olmsted Point, and near Tamarack Flat Campground.

Park crews continue to make extensive repairs to employee housing, work areas, and visitor facilities. In order to protect public health, water quality, and other park resources, sanitation facilities must be available before the Tioga Road can open to the public. The park is contracting for pumping of vault toilets along the Tioga Road corridor and for potable toilets in employee housing and work areas. There is no estimated opening date for the Tioga Road.

Quillz

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: cl94 on June 11, 2023, 12:01:22 AM

We'll be driving up that way next week so I've worked that into our return route. :)

Quillz

I was really hoping to do Tioga Pass this year, but it's not looking likely. But I'm gonna drive Sonora Pass next weekend instead, as it sounds like it's really something to see this year. I last did it in 2020 as part of my Lassen trip. I figure I'll overnight in Fresno, then cross the Sierra and visit Mono Lake on the way back.

gonealookin

Quote from: Quillz on July 15, 2023, 05:58:34 PM
I was really hoping to do Tioga Pass this year, but it's not looking likely. But I'm gonna drive Sonora Pass next weekend instead...

If next weekend is your only trip to the area this year you apparently will not be able to drive the Tioga road within the national park, although you could drive the 12 miles or so on CA 120 from Lee Vining up to the entrance station of the national park.

Tioga updates are posted weekly on Fridays, here.  The best they could say yesterday was "We are optimistic it will open before the end of July."

Quillz

Quote from: gonealookin on July 15, 2023, 06:24:58 PM
Quote from: Quillz on July 15, 2023, 05:58:34 PM
I was really hoping to do Tioga Pass this year, but it's not looking likely. But I'm gonna drive Sonora Pass next weekend instead...

If next weekend is your only trip to the area this year you apparently will not be able to drive the Tioga road within the national park, although you could drive the 12 miles or so on CA 120 from Lee Vining up to the entrance station of the national park.

Tioga updates are posted weekly on Fridays, here.  The best they could say yesterday was "We are optimistic it will open before the end of July."
I mean I can certainly go back, but doesn't the road typically close around October anyway? I have a longer, two-week trip planned for the Lassen and redwoods area in late September. If it opens between now and then, maybe I could take an August weekend trip.

I've been wanting to go back to Mono Lake now that the snow has melted, so Sonora Pass is a bit farther than I was planning but I suppose it's not too much farther, and if these waterfalls stick around, will be worth seeing.

Road Hog

What about Donner Pass? Any good places to eat there?

TheStranger

Quote from: Road Hog on July 15, 2023, 09:05:18 PM

There's a really good ice cream shop along Donner Lake Road:
https://www.truckeeicecream.com/
Chris Sampang

pderocco

ClassicHasClass

Depends on who you're with.

pderocco

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 17, 2023, 08:19:50 PM

Depends on who you're with.

Yes, as long as you're with other people, you won't starve.

Quillz

Just drove Sonora Pass today. It was beautiful. Saw some of those waterfalls that got mentioned earlier, and there's still a fair bit of snow on the higher peaks. Did a short hike on the trail near the pass, then went down to the 395 and also walked the rim around Panum Crater.

I'm planning to do Tioga in a couple weeks, but this is the first time I've done Sonora since 2020 and I forgot just how beautiful it is. Some of the prettiest peaks I've seen. The trail I did got me up to 9600' (I'm sure it goes higher) and so many great vistas.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Quillz on July 24, 2023, 01:53:40 AM
Just drove Sonora Pass today. It was beautiful. Saw some of those waterfalls that got mentioned earlier, and there's still a fair bit of snow on the higher peaks. Did a short hike on the trail near the pass, then went down to the 395 and also walked the rim around Panum Crater.

I'm planning to do Tioga in a couple weeks, but this is the first time I've done Sonora since 2020 and I forgot just how beautiful it is. Some of the prettiest peaks I've seen. The trail I did got me up to 9600' (I'm sure it goes higher) and so many great vistas.

We got up there as well, though I'm annoyed we couldn't find the turnoff for Leavitt Falls. But there were some very nice falls anyway and a really gushy cataract under CA 108 where you could see the old bridge had been wiped out. A lovely drive. The pass itself is 9,624'.

We also did CA 158/June Lake Loop on the way back on US 395 and there was a rather dramatic set of falls up in the mountains visible from there as well. Crowded as heck though with people trying to beat the heat.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.