News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Pan American Highway

Started by DrZoidberg, April 12, 2009, 02:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Apropos if nothing, I have been on segments of the Pan American in every country it exists other than Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, and Argentina, the latter of which I haven't traveled to yet at all.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 09, 2023, 08:55:28 AM

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 09, 2023, 12:34:02 AM
What are the chances the Darian Gap is ever closed?

Closed?  Isn't it always, essentially?

Closing a gap means there is no longer a gap...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2023, 01:50:26 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 09, 2023, 08:55:28 AM

Closed?  Isn't it always, essentially?

Closing a gap means there is no longer a gap...
Tell that to Cumberland Gap.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

Panama is a breakaway province of Columbia specifically because Columbia couldn't enforce the border due to the hazardous nature of the Gap.  Building a road, which would almost have to be elevated its entire length due to the swampy nature of the Gap and the monsoon of rainfall that falls there as well as cost hundreds if not thousands of worker lives to construct like the Panama Canal did, would only make it easier for Columbia to reclaim their historical claim on Panama.  Not to mention that the U.S. doesn't exactly crave an easy high-volume avenue to funnel cocaine into Central America for its final destination here.  Easier to police for a few boats, handbuilt submarines, and human mules than 1000's of cross border trucks.

Molandfreak

Since they couldn't even make a regular ferry service economically viable, I wouldn't bet on the Darién Gap ever being closed.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

zzcarp

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 11, 2023, 03:32:14 PM

Panama is a breakaway province of Columbia specifically because Columbia couldn't enforce the border due to the hazardous nature of the Gap.  Building a road, which would almost have to be elevated its entire length due to the swampy nature of the Gap and the monsoon of rainfall that falls there as well as cost hundreds if not thousands of worker lives to construct like the Panama Canal did, would only make it easier for Columbia to reclaim their historical claim on Panama.  Not to mention that the U.S. doesn't exactly crave an easy high-volume avenue to funnel cocaine into Central America for its final destination here.  Easier to police for a few boats, handbuilt submarines, and human mules than 1000's of cross border trucks.

Yes, exactly. We could solve the engineering problems, but the US would put the kibosh on closing that gap due to the "war on drugs". It's unfortunate because having a safe overland route could increase trade between South and North Americas and provide additional markets for goods. However, with the cartels things aren't safe and it would take a lot of will, a lot of money, and probably military or extreme government force to civilize the gap enough for commercial traffic.
So many miles and so many roads

kphoger

As far as I know, most of the opposition has been environmental in nature, not because of cartel violence or trade.  The gap has prevented livestock disease from spreading between continents and preserved the biodiversity of the rainforest.  The southernmost portion of the highway in Panamá has indeed attracted deforestation, and it therefore serves as proof that filling the gap would result in environmental damage.  The indigenous people groups who live in the area have been opposed to the idea for similar reasons, because they consider themselves to be at particular risk.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

And people who say there's zero percent chance of it happening aren't realizing that a lot can and has changed with regards to the cartels and FARC. Visiting Medellín or Calí would have been insane in the 90's. Now those are two of the most popular places to visit in all of South America. What can happen in another 30 years?

Plutonic Panda

Regardless of the environment impacts and inherit risks I believe it should still be completed with as much mitigation as possible.

Rothman

I don't think the U.S. would formally oppose the project, if it ever came to fruition.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2023, 06:35:27 PM
I don't think the U.S. would formally oppose the project, if it ever came to fruition.
I wonder if we would contribute to its cost?

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 12, 2023, 06:36:04 PM
I wonder if we would contribute to its cost?
Given the amount of foreign aid we distribute down there, probably.

Thing 342

Colombia, Panama, and the US have recently announced a plan to try and stem the flow of migrants through the Darien Gap, projected to number as many as 400,000 this year: https://apnews.com/article/darien-gap-panama-colombia-us-migrants-cf0cd1e9de2119208c9af186e53e09b7

I think the mutual desire to stem extra-continental migration and influence of armed groups would strongly preclude the construction of any marked route through the area.

Rothman

Quote from: Thing 342 on April 15, 2023, 12:55:48 AM
Colombia, Panama, and the US have recently announced a plan to try and stem the flow of migrants through the Darien Gap, projected to number as many as 400,000 this year: https://apnews.com/article/darien-gap-panama-colombia-us-migrants-cf0cd1e9de2119208c9af186e53e09b7

I think the mutual desire to stem extra-continental migration and influence of armed groups would strongly preclude the construction of any marked route through the area.

You've ignored the other reasons mentioned in the article.  Improving the means of getting through the gap would also help the humanitarian situation mentioned.

It's the typical problem of U.S. foreign policy talking out of both sides of its mouth.

Thing 342

Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2023, 09:08:25 AM

You've ignored the other reasons mentioned in the article.  Improving the means of getting through the gap would also help the humanitarian situation mentioned.

It's the typical problem of U.S. foreign policy talking out of both sides of its mouth.

To put it bluntly, I suspect the humanitarian angle is mostly lip service and is of low priority to decision-makers, as they desire to limit the flow of low-skill refugees into their borders and that create strain on their social services.

Rothman

Quote from: Thing 342 on April 15, 2023, 11:02:54 AM

To put it bluntly, I suspect the humanitarian angle is mostly lip service and is of low priority to decision-makers, as they desire to limit the flow of low-skill refugees into their borders and that create strain on their social services.
This sounds like a partisan opinion rather than an objective observation.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2023, 01:52:13 PM

This sounds like a partisan opinion rather than an objective observation.

I feel like your observation is also partisan since you discuss government function in a forum that specifically does not allow politics

Plutonic Panda

You're the one ignoring humanitarian aspects of this and yet you accuse the other guy of doing so? Lol

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.