News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 04, 2020, 01:54:44 PM
Cost being the main factor, and these three are probably the cheapest. It would also allow them to use a similar design for the Newark Bay twinning. if it has a similar main span length

These would be totally different projects, and can easily have different bridges.  Height, width, right of way, clearance, approach roadways, and scores of other criteria etc all factor in.  A cabled stayed bridge may have a higher total height and be cheapest and could be used at both locations, but if there's height restrictions due to air traffic at one of the locations, it will need to be nixed.

Realize that even a typical overpass design is researched at every...single...crossing, of which the Turnpike has hundreds.  A large bridge will get the same treatment.

Stephane Dumas

Since as J&N said everything done before is off the table, let's look at this from a new perspective

I see it being either a Tied Network Arch bridge, Regular Tied Arch, or a Cable Stay. Concrete girders for the approaches,simple spans. Giant main span.

Cost being the main factor, and these three are probably the cheapest. It would also allow them to use a similar design for the Newark Bay twinning. if it has a similar main span length

It might look also like the new Champlain bridge in Montreal.  Will they also add a path for pedestrians and cyclists as well like the new Champlain bridge and the Goethals bridge between Elizabeth and Staten Island?

bluecountry

Quote from: famartin on March 19, 2020, 06:29:00 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on March 19, 2020, 05:34:13 PM
When is the new bridge going to be built?
Given all the projects lined up ahead of it, I'd guess 15 years at least. I could imagine them rushing that if the existing span shows more signs of deterioration.
Is there a list of all projects planned?

SteveG1988

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 06, 2020, 08:50:07 AM
Since as J&N said everything done before is off the table, let's look at this from a new perspective

I see it being either a Tied Network Arch bridge, Regular Tied Arch, or a Cable Stay. Concrete girders for the approaches,simple spans. Giant main span.

It might look also like the new Champlain bridge in Montreal.  Will they also add a path for pedestrians and cyclists as well like the new Champlain bridge and the Goethals bridge between Elizabeth and Staten Island?

Or a "Breadbasket" ARch
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bzakharin

Where would these pedestrians and cyclists be going? The Turnpikes don't exactly have facilities for them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on April 06, 2020, 02:41:29 PM

Where would these pedestrians and cyclists be going? The Turnpikes don't exactly have facilities for them.

It would be like most other bridges with ped/bike crossings.  The pedestrian or bicyclist would access the walkway via ramp or stairs, cross the bridge, then go down the ramp or stairway on the other side.  Where are they coming from or going to?  It would be like everyone else walking, driving or riding a bike - from somewhere to somewhere, or just for a leisure trip.

odditude

Quote from: bluecountry on April 06, 2020, 10:15:45 AM
Is there a list of all projects planned?

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 18, 2020, 02:54:08 PM
Found this in the proposed NJTA 2020 capital improvement program:

DELAWARE RIVER TURNPIKE BRIDGE REPLACEMENT
This project will widen from two lanes in each direction to four lanes in each direction. The project is planned to demolish the existing truss arch spans and approach viaducts and construct new twin crossings with four lanes on each crossing.

Tonytone

Quote from: briantroutman on January 30, 2018, 10:27:57 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 30, 2018, 08:17:26 PM
Remember, some will not want to deal with the Philly traffic, then others will listen to that damned GPS and do whatever it tells them to do...

The "damned GPS"  will probably tell them to stay on the NJ Turnpike since it's a slightly shorter through route with generally lower travel time. GPSes don't care about route numbers–people do.

If anything, it will be people blindly following I-95 shields who will take the new route through Philadelphia. These are the same people who follow I-95 through Wilmington even though it's marked LOCAL TRAFFIC.
Yes the GPS still suggests the NJTP with no respect to the completed route

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Quote from: Alps on January 31, 2018, 12:25:18 AM
Remember, some will not want to deal with the Philly traffic, then others will listen to that damned GPS and do whatever it tells them to do...

The "damned GPS"  will probably tell them to stay on the NJ Turnpike since it's a slightly shorter through route with generally lower travel time. GPSes don't care about route numbers–people do.

If anything, it will be people blindly following I-95 shields who will take the new route through Philadelphia. These are the same people who follow I-95 through Wilmington even though it's marked LOCAL TRAFFIC.
I like following I-95 through Wilmington during off hours. It's about the same time and nicer scenery than 495.
Are you in my head?

People think 495 is faster (which it is when 95 isnt backed up)

But both routes will get you to the PA state line at the same time.

iPhone

mrsman

Quote from: Tonytone on July 06, 2020, 11:03:29 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 31, 2018, 12:25:18 AM

I like following I-95 through Wilmington during off hours. It's about the same time and nicer scenery than 495.
Are you in my head?

People think 495 is faster (which it is when 95 isnt backed up)

But both routes will get you to the PA state line at the same time.

iPhone

That's all true, but I guess the question is what is better for Wilmington.  If they want to limit the traffic on 95 to just those heading to Downtown Wilmington and have the thru traffic take 495, the best way of achieving that would be by redesignating 495 as 95, since many people just simply follow the number. 

Is there any movement among the alt-transport crowd to remove 95 thru Wilmington?  I know there is a movement to remove other central highways in other cities (like 81 thru Syracuse) and have thru traffic take the bypass, and remove aerial structures in the downtowns to reconnect downtown to surrounding neighborhoods.  [In fictional an idea to do this in Topeka, KS was also discussed.  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27161.0 ]  It would seem that Wilmington would have it pretty easy to do this since the bypass is not too far from the central freeway and doesn't really add time.

Alps

Yes and no - the viaduct was redone relatively recently, so there's not much movement there, and Wilmington isn't a popular city for anti-road activism. I've heard it mentioned but not gaining traction.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alps on July 27, 2020, 04:47:11 PM
Yes and no - the viaduct was redone relatively recently, so there's not much movement there, and Wilmington isn't a popular city for anti-road activism. I've heard it mentioned but not gaining traction.
[mention]mrsman [/mention]Helll no. Renaming 95 as 495 & 495 as 95 would be terrible. 95 doesnt really back up anymore because they fixed the issue with the 495/95 merge.

Also like Alps said construction on 95 will cause detours to 495 anyway so that wont even be thought of.

Plus 495 really doesnt serve Wilmington like that. Only the North Section of Wilmington & the Southern portion.

Also Alps is correct Wilmington doesnt really object projects because in Wilmington's case anything new built is needed.

They want a cap over Wilmington bad as well. I also believe it needs it but thats for the Delaware thread.

iPhone

bluecountry

I suppose the new bridge for I-95 to PA will be under the NJTP authority?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on July 27, 2020, 05:11:50 PM

NJTA and PTC share ownership and costs. Any heavy duty work, such as a new bridge, will be administered by the NJTA. The PTC will pay 50% towards the cost of the new bridge.

After the bridge is built, general maintenance such as lighting, line repainting, etc is the responsibility of the toll road whose side of the state line it's on.

PHLBOS

Thread Bump

For the first time in several months; I've had a chance to utilize these ramps and follow I-95 on my recent Labor Day weekend trip to Massachusetts.

Observations as of Sept. 4 (northbound) and Sept. 7 (southbound):

PA Side: Just prior to the Delaware River Bridge, there is now a NJTA-style VMS gantry.  Such likely is a replacement for the that now-long gone old neon VMS

NJ Side: Along the Connector (I-95), there is now one reassurance marker for each direction.  The northbound one, just after the toll plaza & US 130 interchange, has a supplemental blue CALL #95 tab below the I-95 shield.

Just after the mainline NJ Turnpike split, there is now a 2-mile advance BGS for Exit 7 along the northbound I-95 ramp.  The BGS is ground-mounted on telephone poles (current GSP-style) and is of the MUTCD format.  The only oddity (with respect to MUTCD) of the BGS is that the word EXIT is mentioned twice: once for the EXIT tab and again for the 2-mile listing.

On the PA-bound (I-95 south) side of the connector; due to the revised lane drop location, this pull-through sign along with its LANE ENDS 1500 FT. sign have since been replaced with a new pull-through sign that now features 3 down-arrows.  The route messaging is now a horizontally-oriented 95 SOUTH TO 276 WEST above the carry-over Philadelphia-Penn Turnpike message.  The numerals on the I-276 shield are now Series D (the prior one was Series C).

Both southbound pull-through signs at Exit 8A still do not have I-95 shields placed on them.  COVID or no COVID, this particular mod should've been done a long time ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bluecountry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 27, 2020, 06:21:01 PM

NJTA and PTC share ownership and costs. Any heavy duty work, such as a new bridge, will be administered by the NJTA. The PTC will pay 50% towards the cost of the new bridge.

After the bridge is built, general maintenance such as lighting, line repainting, etc is the responsibility of the toll road whose side of the state line it's on.
Why is NJTP doing all heavy work?

famartin

Quote from: bluecountry on September 18, 2020, 02:59:33 PM

Because they actually know how to get big projects done in a reasonable amount of time? ;)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on September 18, 2020, 02:59:33 PM

It's the long-standing agreement the two turnpike agencies have with each other.

SignBridge

I agree with famartin's answer. If you want a project done efficiently, get the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to do it.  LOL

74/171FAN

The I-95/PA Turnpike interchange project has been featured in Roads and Bridges Magazine.  (I am unsure if the link exactly works, but I accessed it while looking at other information on RK&K's website.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on September 18, 2020, 09:23:14 PM
I agree with famartin's answer. If you want a project done efficiently, get the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to do it.  LOL
Heck they get things done in the same amount of time (if not sooner) than contractors here in Florida do despite the all year round warm weather here and cold winters with snow to halt work during the winter season's up there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on January 26, 2021, 09:14:05 PM
Heck they get things done in the same amount of time (if not sooner) than contractors here in Florida do despite the all year round warm weather here and cold winters with snow to halt work during the winter season's up there.

That's not really a thing anymore though.  Concrete can be laid at colder temps. Snow gets scooped out of the way by bucket trucks.  There's quite a bit of work going on in the winter.

74/171FAN

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2021, 02:06:15 PM

That's not really a thing anymore though.  Concrete can be laid at colder temps. Snow gets scooped out of the way by bucket trucks.  There's quite a bit of work going on in the winter.

I would say it is.  Every April through October is still considered as construction season by PennDOT.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jemacedo9

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 28, 2021, 11:37:13 AM

I would say it is.  Every April through October is still considered as construction season by PennDOT.
Many PennDOT projects seem to be creeping into Nov and early Dec.  But definitely not Jan-March.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 28, 2021, 02:26:34 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 28, 2021, 11:37:13 AM

Many PennDOT projects seem to be creeping into Nov and early Dec.  But definitely not Jan-March.

I can't speak much about PennDOT, since they also shut down most projects this year in the spring as a result of COVID whereas other states didn't. But in NJ, I have a project 2 miles from me they've been working on steadily all winter, including pouring concrete for bridge supports. Many of NJDOT's projects near the shore *must* be worked on throughout the winter due to summertime restrictions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.