News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

The specifics of that scenario aren't important, the point is that when you rush work, quality suffers. Good work done late is better than shoddy work done on time.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on September 19, 2018, 02:20:12 PM
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on September 19, 2018, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on September 18, 2018, 10:45:12 PM
Execute a bureaucrat and their family for each day of delay.  Things will be sped up then for sure!  Tolerate sloppiness and you will get sloppiness.

Right. You'll also get asphalt that was poured in the rain or at the wrong temperature or humidity and sends chunks of rocks onto your windshield in 7 months because it's falling apart.

I'm guessing this happened in your area. I've not heard of such a thing.

Quote from: Duke87 on September 23, 2018, 05:54:32 PM
The specifics of that scenario aren't important, the point is that when you rush work, quality suffers. Good work done late is better than shoddy work done on time.

No doubt. But his comment was too specific to be anything other than a personal experience.

MantyMadTown

I thought they were practically done. It shouldn't take months' worth of delays to do only a little bit of work.
Forget the I-41 haters

Bruce

Quote from: MantyMadTown on September 23, 2018, 07:34:22 PM

I thought they were practically done. It shouldn't take months' worth of delays to do only a little bit of work.

It's about waiting for a window of good weather. Seattle's winters are consistently drizzly, which doesn't lend itself well to road construction.

There's also the matter of giving people and companies time to prepare for the three-week shutdown and the associated disruptions. Metro needs to coordinate extra bus service (during the middle of their own hiring crunch), SDOT needs to prepare for signal re-timings, Amazon will probably deploy some of their own shuttles to West Seattle, the water taxi is going to make extra runs, etc.

Henry

Quote from: Bruce on September 23, 2018, 08:53:37 PM
It's about waiting for a window of good weather. Seattle's winters are consistently drizzly, which doesn't lend itself well to road construction.
Then again, you can expect the other three seasons to be drizzly too. Let's just hope that the time is right for the target opening date.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I still think the Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel will be the last deep-bored road tunnel the United States ever builds.

jakeroot

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 24, 2018, 05:16:24 PM
I still think the Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel will be the last deep-bored road tunnel the United States ever builds.

How many times are you going to claim this?

NE2

Quote from: jakeroot on September 24, 2018, 05:55:01 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 24, 2018, 05:16:24 PM

How many times are you going to claim this?

Until someone bans him for being useless.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ErmineNotyours

I finally found the photo of the front of the signs on the gantry at the north end of the viaduct, taken in 2008.  And, they're button copy signs, at least the green ones.  However, I think the hand-painted Seattle Center logo has since been hit with graffiti. (Yes, definitely.) :angry:

Button Copy signs at north end of Alaska Way Viaduct by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

silverback1065

random question, was SR 99 ever supposed to be an interstate in this area? 

Henry

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 24, 2018, 09:00:19 AM
AFAIK, it never was. I would genuinely be surprised if a direct connection from the viaduct to I-5 was somehow planned, but never materialized.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

Quote from: Henry on October 24, 2018, 09:14:05 AM
AFAIK, it never was. I would genuinely be surprised if a direct connection from the viaduct to I-5 was somehow planned, but never materialized.

It was planned. The southern section of the viaduct, which has since been demolished, had ramps stubs for a connection to I-5 and I-90. I'm not sure if, after this connection had been built, the viaduct would have become an interstate. But it's more common than not for interstates to end at other interstates, so it's entirely possible.

BigManFromAFRICA88

jakeroot

Bruce

Nope. The early plans for I-5 were drawn up in 1953 (just as the viaduct opened) to cut through downtown but still serve exits and link up to a tollway connecting Tacoma to Everett. This was struck down by the state supreme court a few months after the Interstate program came into being, so it all worked out in the end.

ErmineNotyours

The Bay Freeway would have provided a northern connection.

jakeroot

Bruce

Sign up for the free events (tunnel walk/wander and viaduct goodbye) here: http://99stepforward.com/

compdude787

Quote from: Bruce on November 01, 2018, 05:31:51 PM
Sign up for the free events (tunnel walk/wander and viaduct goodbye) here: http://99stepforward.com/

I just signed up and got my tickets. I'm looking forward to it! I didn't go to the 520 bridge opening, (I know, I'm such a bad roadgeek) so I figured I ought to go to this one.

Plutonic Panda

I signed up. I'm debating about signing up for the bike ride as well.

Bruce

The bike ride's fee goes to fund a lot of great programs run by Cascade, but I'm opting out since I don't have a bike. I did ride in the viaduct run earlier this year using one of the bikeshares, which a dozen other people were doing.

If anyone wants to walk together, I'm trying to coordinate a meetup in this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=23573.0

Henry

Revive 755

Quote from: jakeroot on August 12, 2018, 05:47:26 PM
LED signals are not particularly common here either. Compare this new signal in Oregon to this new signal in Washington. The Oregon signals are all LED, and appear the same color when not lit. Washington seems to use incandescent signals. Tacoma is the only place that I've seen with full LED signals, and it's only the signals with LED inserts or new wire-span signals, not new mast-arm installs.

Are you sure those aren't LEDs on the Washington signal?  At least on Streetview the green indication in the NB 3-section mounted on the mast arm shaft looks appears to be more of a clear lens than a tinted lens.  Compared to this older signal from Chicagoland with incandescent indications, the Washington signal appears to be using LEDs.

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 09, 2018, 05:18:54 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 12, 2018, 05:47:26 PM
LED signals are not particularly common here either. Compare this new signal in Oregon to this new signal in Washington. The Oregon signals are all LED, and appear the same color when not lit. Washington seems to use incandescent signals. Tacoma is the only place that I've seen with full LED signals, and it's only the signals with LED inserts or new wire-span signals, not new mast-arm installs.

Are you sure those aren't LEDs on the Washington signal?  At least on Streetview the green indication in the NB 3-section mounted on the mast arm shaft looks appears to be more of a clear lens than a tinted lens.  Compared to this older signal from Chicagoland with incandescent indications, the Washington signal appears to be using LEDs.

Actually, they are LEDs. I was wrong. I was assuming that clear lens = LED, colored = incandescent. But we discussed it a few pages ago:

Quote from: Duke87 on August 23, 2018, 09:08:24 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on August 20, 2018, 05:11:09 PM
There are a lot of Washington installs that are LEDs.  Some are using colored drivers, others are using white, with colored lenses.

It's not the driver that makes the color. It is a combination of the diodes and, if applicable, the phosphor placed over them. "White" LEDs are usually actually blue LEDs with a phosphor coating on the inside of the cap.

I was thinking all the new signals in WA were just newer (ergo brighter) incandescent signals, with actual incandescent signals being older (fading) examples of the same tech: https://goo.gl/YJ65ku

Bruce

I walked around the new Alaskan Way (now to the west of the viaduct, instead of under it), and the whole situation is a mess for pedestrians coming off the ferry. Cross the street and you have to dodge people using the parking lane without the assistance of a signal or any real help. Someone is going to get hit, especially with the darker nights right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.