News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most significant event that happened in the roadgeek world in 2018

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 06, 2019, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: formulanone on January 08, 2019, 05:51:27 AM
The Interstate 95 Gap Is No More is probably the most significant roadgeek event of the year, if not decade. It's been 40+ years in the making, and on one of the most significant routes in the nation. It's been one of the most oft-asked questions/debates in the world of roadgeekery, roads scholaring, driving around aimlessly, and staring at maps wistfully. Naturally, if you don't live in the area or never intend to drive there, it seems a little lofty and of little concern. But see it from a bigger perspective based on how much it's been talked about over the years, and it's been completed in the past twelve months.

I seriously don't understand how something "started" or "in progress" is anywhere close to Most Significant, when there's hundreds of incomplete projects that stalled out or lay dormant for a variety of reasons. Wake us when it's done.
Probably because I already said it when I posted this, and people want to contribute different things.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 08, 2019, 08:50:38 AM
The Interstate 95 Gap Is No More is probably the most significant roadgeek event of the year, if not decade. It's been 40+ years in the making, and on one of the most significant routes in the nation. It's been one of the most oft-asked questions/debates in the world of roadgeekery, roads scholaring, driving around aimlessly, and staring at maps wistfully. Naturally, if you don't live in the area or never intend to drive there, it seems a little lofty and of little concern. But see it from a bigger perspective based on how much it's been talked about over the years, and it's been completed in the past twelve months.

I seriously don't understand how something "started" or "in progress" is anywhere close to Most Significant, when there's hundreds of incomplete projects that stalled out or lay dormant for a variety of reasons. Wake us when it's done.
Probably because I already said it when I posted this, and people want to contribute different things.

Well to that end I'd agree with Sparker about I-11 bypassing Boulder City being pretty up there.  I'd say I-11 was a way bigger deal out west than the I-95 gap was.

inkyatari

To me, it's the completion of the "Missing Link" on the Foothills Parkway of Tennessee.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2019, 08:46:26 AM

:clap:

Everybody seems to be just looking at their own areas, and not really at the big picture.

Then probably should've locked the thread after the first post. 

RobbieL2415

The completion of the I-84 add-a-lane project in Waterbury.

Henry

Here in Seattle, it would have to be the completion of the WA 99 tunnel.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on January 08, 2019, 11:55:07 AM
Here in Seattle, it would have to be the completion of the WA 99 tunnel.

I'd say it will be a bigger story this year when it actually opens to traffic. 

sparker

If I had to limit the event to something in CA, I'd have to say the progress on the expansion of I-5/Santa Ana Freeway in southeast L.A. county (between Artesia Ave. and I-605); this was the last and arguably the most difficult section of the corridor to upgrade -- probably because the original freeway was simply an overlay of an existing arterial, with commercial development on the frontage roads hemming in the ROW.  But it got done -- that deserves kudos in and of itself. 

PHLBOS

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned several brand new high-profile bridges that opened this past year replacing older (60+ years), narrower ones.

New Whittier Bridge: I-95 crossing the Merrimack River in MA (Newburyport/Amesbury)

New Goethals Bridge: I-278 Elizabeth, NJ/Staten Island, NY

New Tappan Zee Bridge (officially named Gov. Mario Cuomo Bridge): I-87/287/NY Thruway (Nyack/Tarrytown)
Weather permitting: the remnants of the old truss bridge will be detonated this Saturday morning.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Plutonic Panda

formulanone

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 08, 2019, 06:02:49 PM
In Oklahoma they repaired a freeway ramp.

I called up my County Works Department and got three potholes filled and a missing street blade installed.

I may have caused a 10% increase in Alabama's transportation budget for 2019. :P

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 08, 2019, 02:50:42 PM
New Goethals Bridge: I-278 Elizabeth, NJ/Staten Island, NY

Didn't hear much about that one; the previous one was on the narrow side.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: sparker on January 08, 2019, 12:36:23 PM
If I had to limit the event to something in CA, I'd have to say the progress on the expansion of I-5/Santa Ana Freeway in southeast L.A. county (between Artesia Ave. and I-605); this was the last and arguably the most difficult section of the corridor to upgrade -- probably because the original freeway was simply an overlay of an existing arterial, with commercial development on the frontage roads hemming in the ROW.  But it got done -- that deserves kudos in and of itself.
I think the most difficult part, if it ever gets done, will be the section from SR-134 to I-605.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Gnutella

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2019, 12:39:59 PM
The Craig County sign got replaced!!!!

That makes me sad. I wanted to see the old sign for myself. :(

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Gnutella on February 24, 2019, 03:57:49 PM

Just wondering, what's the big deal about this sign?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

signalman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 24, 2019, 05:00:43 PM

See the first page of The Worst of Road Signs.  For the record, I wanted to see that sign in person too.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: signalman on February 24, 2019, 05:36:15 PM

See the first page of The Worst of Road Signs.  For the record, I wanted to see that sign in person too.
It took that long to get replaced?

MCRoads

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 24, 2019, 09:23:47 PM
Quote from: signalman on February 24, 2019, 05:36:15 PM

It took that long to get replaced?

I really hope ODOT preserved that, as a monument of shame. But knowing DOTs, it is probably in an aluminum cube somewhere, if it hasn't been melted yet.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

CNGL-Leudimin

And it was found by someone outside the USA (me). That day back in May I noticed Big Rig Steve was going North on US 69 through Mayes County and quickly turned into the livestream expecting to see the Absolute Worst of all Signs as he rolled past it, only to find it was gone. He also drove past the site of the former Concessions sign last year.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Gnutella

But seriously, who the hell in ODOT fabricated those signs, and how did they ever get posted in the first place?

Buck87

For Ohio it would be the completion of the Portsmouth Bypass

MantyMadTown

For Wisconsin it would have to be WISDOT completing the "core" of the Zoo Interchange. The busiest interchange in the state was reconfigured, and after several years all the mainline ramps have been reconstructed and they're now open. The north leg of the interchange isn't expected to be completed until around 2023.
Forget the I-41 haters

ET21

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 06, 2019, 05:52:30 PM
For Wisconsin it would have to be WISDOT completing the "core" of the Zoo Interchange. The busiest interchange in the state was reconfigured, and after several years all the mainline ramps have been reconstructed and they're now open. The north leg of the interchange isn't expected to be completed until around 2023.

It's sad when it's hard to remember a time the Zoo wasn't under construction.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

DeaconG

The i-95/PA Turnpike connection would be very high on my list; also I-4 Ultimate, the I-4/Selmon Connector and HOT lanes on toll roads (Veterans Expressway in Tampa).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.