News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 28, 2014, 08:35:02 AM
This article reports that SCDOT may be soliciting proposals for a new I-73 toll study in the relatively near future

This article reports that SCDOT has approved going forward with the I-73 toll study and that supporters of tolls anticipate that the study will show that tourists will pay most of the tolls:

The South Carolina Department of Transportation Commissioners agreed unanimously Thursday afternoon to move ahead with a study to see if Interstate 73 should be a toll road to help pay for the interstate.
The tolls would be collected where the new interstate would intersect with I-95, so supporters say it would be mostly tourists who pay the tolls. ....
Brad Dean with the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
says I-73 has been a top priority.
"We've had over $100 million secured for I-73 up to this date, both in Federal Highway Bill, federal Tiger Grants, and also state funding," said Dean.
However, much more money is needed to build the interstate.
"Still the question remains though how do you pay for I-73 and whether or not tolls are a part of that. We don't know, but the study will tell us," said Dean.
One criteria of the approved study will show how much the tolls should be.
"Presumably this would be tolls paid for people coming down I-95 who would connect with I -73," said Dean ....
Dean wanted to be sure to point out, the tolls would only be on I-73 and would not affect traffic on I-95.

The DOT commissioners also decided Thursday to request a $30 million Tiger Grant from the federal government to help pay for the interstate.

Strider

If using tolls is the only way a interstate can be built, then do it. I'm curious about how much the toll would cost per car/truck/axle.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Strider on April 18, 2014, 10:56:41 PM
If using tolls is the only way a interstate can be built, then do it. I'm curious about how much the toll would cost per car/truck/axle.

You can probably look to the per-mile toll rates on roads like Triangle Expressway (N.C. 540) or the InterCounty Connector (Md. 200) for some idea as to what the tolls might be.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Strider

cpzilliacus, you might be right. I believe the tolls would also be collected electronically.. just like these toll roads you just mentioned.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Strider on April 20, 2014, 01:40:28 PM
cpzilliacus, you might be right. I believe the tolls would also be collected electronically.. just like these toll roads you just mentioned.

No doubt that electronic tolling is where all toll roads are going towards.  Eventually the toll plazas on I-185 and US 278 will likely go away too.

Grzrd

Quote from: Henry on April 15, 2014, 02:38:06 PM
The question remains, will this become I-74 or a spur off it? I've read about arguments that I-74 should go to Wilmington, but this will be interesting.

This May 1 article does not definitively answer Henry's question because it reports that the Carolina Bays Parkway/S.C 31 may become part of the "I-74 system" in the foreseeable future and that it, not I-73, would be Horry County's first interstate highway:

State Representative Tracy Edge, Horry County Council Chairman Mark Lazarus and Horry County Councilman Harold Worley have been working to make Interstate 74 a reality for Horry County and the North Strand area....
By 2002 The Carolina Bays Parkway opened from Highway 9 on the north end to Highway 501 at the southern end. Representative Edge, who has been the strongest advocate of Interstate 74, then began working on efforts to designate Carolina Bays Parkway as part of the Interstate 74 network and also began pushing to expand the Carolina Bays Parkway northward into North Carolina to link with Interstate 74 which was being built at that time in North Carolina.
In 2006 the North Carolina Department of Transportation met with the South Carolina Department of Transportation and jointly agreed that each state would cooperate with each other on I-73 and I-74 with North Carolina demanding that we meet them at I-74 in order for them to give their cooperation for I-73.  In the latter part of the decade Horry County Council and the legislative delegation began focusing efforts for the Carolina Bays Parkway by pushing it further south past Highway 544 and ultimately connecting back to Highway 17 bypass.
Now, with more than $50 million left from the latest ride projects Horry County Council Chairman Mark Lazarus, Councilman Harold Worley and Representative Tracy Edge are calling for the surplus to be allocated to extend the Carolina Bays Parkway northward into North Carolina to link with Interstate 74.
As a result of Edge's legislation the Carolina Bays Parkway would become part of the I-74 system thus giving Horry County it's first interstate highway
as well as provide traffic congestion relief for the Little River area ...

jcarte29

If it could simply become a Spur that would be awesome. It's so un-natural for an E-W interstate to turn SW to truncate. I hope it ends up as maybe "I-174" (granted it wont eventually meet an I-73 in M.B.)
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

WashuOtaku

Quote from: jcarte29 on May 12, 2014, 10:39:04 PM
If it could simply become a Spur that would be awesome. It's so un-natural for an E-W interstate to turn SW to truncate. I hope it ends up as maybe "I-174" (granted it wont eventually meet an I-73 in M.B.)

You are wishing for something that will not happen, it will likely be I-74... why would South Carolina settle for a 3di instead?  Also, what will likely happen is that the east-west routing will reverse when entering South Carolina, thus east end is at the NC state line and west end on US 17; this would be similar to I-64 in the Hampton Roads area, but have the benefit of a state line to partition it.

Mapmikey

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 12, 2014, 11:08:58 PM

You are wishing for something that will not happen, it will likely be I-74... why would South Carolina settle for a 3di instead?  Also, what will likely happen is that the east-west routing will reverse when entering South Carolina, thus east end is at the NC state line and west end on US 17; this would be similar to I-64 in the Hampton Roads area, but have the benefit of a state line to partition it.

Note that in the case of I-64 in Hampton Roads, while it does physically change direction as you describe, it is posted without direction at all from I-264 Virginia Beach Expwy southwest to Bowers Hill.   I think it may have been posted as far as Indian River Rd when I lived there in the early 90s but further southwest through I-464, US 17 Deep Creek and to Bowers Hill have never had directional banners posted...

Mapmikey

froggie

Still is out to Indian River Rd.

WashuOtaku

It's been a decade since I last been in the Hampton Roads area, but one of the first things I noticed when US 58 connected with I-64 was the directional change of the interstate and lasted till Virginia Beach.  This probably changed since the loop was completed.

Strider

Yeah, froggie is correct, the "E-W" directional banners stopped at Indian River Rd. and after that road, there is no directional banners, just I-64 with cities that the highway goes.

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 12, 2014, 11:08:58 PM

There isn't going to be a I-74 or I-x74 in SC until NC decides upon a final route and decides to fund it. NCDOT started an I-74 routing feasibility study several years ago that was never completed because the funds ran out and the agency chose not to spend any more money on it. NCDOT currently is funding a study that is looking at the costs to upgrade US 74 to an interstate from NC 41 to the US 74/76 Whiteville Bypass. Maybe when that gets done, NCDOT will revisit how to get I-74 to SC. The least costly alternative, as of now, is to upgrade US 74/76 to an interstate all the way to Wilmington. If so, it would make more sense to send a spur route along US 17 to the Carolina Bays Parkway.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on May 13, 2014, 10:03:59 PM
There isn't going to be a I-74 or I-x74 in SC until NC decides upon a final route and decides to fund it. NCDOT started an I-74 routing feasibility study several years ago that was never completed because the funds ran out and the agency chose not to spend any more money on it. NCDOT currently is funding a study that is looking at the costs to upgrade US 74 to an interstate from NC 41 to the US 74/76 Whiteville Bypass. Maybe when that gets done, NCDOT will revisit how to get I-74 to SC. The least costly alternative, as of now, is to upgrade US 74/76 to an interstate all the way to Wilmington. If so, it would make more sense to send a spur route along US 17 to the Carolina Bays Parkway.

Though you are right that the routing isn't fixed yet, the corridors are and here's a link of a corridor map straight from NCDOT's website:  https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Planning%20Document%20Library/Proposed%20Interstate%2073%20and%2074%20Routes.pdf  and of course the moth-balled I-74 Feasibility Project site:  http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/I74feasibility/

So obviously, NCDOT doesn't think I-74 should go to Wilmington; it's probably have to do to the fact I-73/74 North-South Corridor was mandated by congress with specifics on how it will be routed, which are listed on FHWA's website:  http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/high_priority_corridors/hpcor.cfm#l5

This is obviously a low-priority to North Carolina, but its still not going to Wilmington.  :sombrero:

Strider

I still think that I-74 should go to Wilmington, however that is not going to be the case as the future US 74/76 interchange with future I-140 Wilmington outer Loop is now to be built as a folded diamond, from what I saw in the street view of Google Maps of that location.

Grzrd

This TV video reports that Grand Strand leaders, led by the Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce, recently held a Legislative Reception in Columbia that had a strong I-73 theme and it appears that the current sales pitch is that 35 miles of I-73 asphalt will result in 29,000 jobs:

Local members and leaders of the Grand Strand met with state representatives during the 2015 Legislative Reception ....
"We've also had some constitutional officers like Alan Wilson who are coming here to find out what's happening in the Grand Strand," Brad Dean said.
Though put on by the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, the Chamber president said it's more about giving a voice to the entire Grand Strand.
South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson did want to catch up with what was happening on the Grand Strand, and said it was because of the crucial role it plays in the state's economy.
"I've gotten to speak with several members of the delegation on various pieces of legislation. Obviously we're standing here on a replica of I-73, I know that's very important to the industry out there," Wilson explained.
"I think because they're talking infrastructure this year, even though the priority is on maintenance, we don't want them to forget that if we could build 35 miles of asphalt - would create [twenty-nine] thousand jobs and that would lead to an economic explosion in the Grand Strand and Pee Dee," Dean said.

Here is a snip of a photo of the I-73 replica:

wdcrft63

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 18, 2014, 05:13:33 PM
This article reports that SCDOT has approved going forward with the I-73 toll study and that supporters of tolls anticipate that the study will show that tourists will pay most of the tolls:
The tolls would be collected where the new interstate would intersect with I-95, so supporters say it would be mostly tourists who pay the tolls. ....

This article (from a website that tends to be anti-I-73) reports that I-73 in South Carolina is "on the verge of a major funding breakthrough", but that tolls may be part of the picture:

The $2.4 billion Interstate 73 boondoggle — South Carolina's poster child for totally unnecessary transportation projects — is reportedly on the verge of a "major funding breakthrough."
Working to secure that funding?  U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham and State Senate president Hugh Leatherman.

At a recent gathering of S.C. Department of Transportation (SCDOT) commissioners, Leatherman's son-in-law John Hardee was overhead telling his fellow commissioner Mike Wooten that the project was moving forward.
"Not to worry,"  Hardee told "You're going to get I-73."

One of our SCDOT moles confirmed the conversation between the two appointees — but added the "funding breakthrough"  was only going to be viable in the event both federal and state governments raised their gas taxes.
And in the event I-73 was a toll road ...
FITS has also confirmed with our sources in Washington, D.C. that Graham and U.S. Senator Tim Scott have been "working overtime"  in recent weeks to secure funding for the road ...

I don't know if the I-73 toll study that was approved in April, 2014 has been completed; as a result, I don't know if the tolling on I-73 would be similar to the concept outlined in the April, 2014 article quoted above.

WashuOtaku

The toll idea is not new.  They have suggested that for a decade now as a way to build the interstate... but it all talk and no action.

Henry

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 11, 2015, 06:29:43 PM
The toll idea is not new.  They have suggested that for a decade now as a way to build the interstate... but it all talk and no action.
And they still have yet to learn from the I-185 debacle, which is partly to blame for the current mess they're now in.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: Henry on March 13, 2015, 11:40:57 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 11, 2015, 06:29:43 PM
And they still have yet to learn from the I-185 debacle, which is partly to blame for the current mess they're now in.
I'm not aware of any 'I-185 debacle'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DeaconG

^^^He's referring to the Southern Connector and the reason why it was built (developers! developers! developers!).

IIRC, this road along with the Pocahontas Parkway were built as non-profit toll roads and are both in bad shape financially.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NE2 on March 13, 2015, 04:22:26 PM
I'm not aware of any 'I-185 debacle'.

The Toll section of I-185 (aka the Southern Connector) was suppose to spur new development in southern Greenville County and provide a short-cut between those driving to I-326 to I-85 to Atlanta.  But that didn't happen, as most truckers needing to go to Atlanta from Columbia take I-20 and the development never happened either.  Basically toll revenue never hit targets and they defaulted on their bond; causing a lot of heart-burn to the state to pay the gap and redo the bond.

It might have been something Greenville needed someday, but it's not today.

NE2

Ah. So I'm not sure what Henry's point is, given that he's an Interstate-everywhere guy. How would building it with tolls be worse than without finance-wise?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The Nature Boy

If I were the SC DOT, I would prioritize I-73 over any other major construction. There needs to be a major interstate connection between the Midwest and Myrtle Beach and right now, that doesn't exist. Once you hit SC from Michigan/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois, you're stuck on surface roads for quite a bit. If you're coming from the Northeast, you're stuck on US 501 once you get off I-95 in South Carolina. With I-73, you'd get off in Latta and have clear interstate the rest of the way.

I don't see why it's something that people are calling pointless and a waste of funding. I don't get why leaders down there are calling it something that "can wait for funding." Have they ever tried driving out of Myrtle Beach in the summer on US 501 and SC 9? It's a parking lot at best. I have friends who live in some of the small SC towns that tourists drive through to get to Myrtle Beach and the traffic even there is a nightmare in the summer. I call BS on Gov. Haley saying that "this can wait for funding." I-73 needed to be built 10 years ago.

The way that South Carolina is treating I-73 is a crock of BS.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.