News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-55 Bridge in Memphis

Started by Charles2, October 09, 2014, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles2

Brandon

More like...

OH SHIT!
That narrows it down to just the I-40 bridge there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

robbones

If they are going to do that, why not just replace one side at a time and detour the nb traffic onto 240. If they are smart, they would wait until Arkansas is completely done with the construction in West Memphis to lessen the traffic impact.

Road Hog

Might as well just wait until the New Madrid lets go and build a new bridge from there.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

Quote from: robbones on October 09, 2014, 11:07:34 PM
If they are going to do that, why not just replace one side at a time and detour the nb traffic onto 240. If they are smart, they would wait until Arkansas is completely done with the construction in West Memphis to lessen the traffic impact.

If you are refering to replacing the I-55 bridge over the Mississippi, it is a truss bridge (streetview) and could not be replaced without either a complete closure or building a new bridge off to the side.

What is TNDOT doing that it would take two years to replace the existing interchange with a full closure anyway?  If the new interchange design shown with the article is accurate, it appears the interchange could be built with some temporary runarounds to keep I-55 open, and only some of the other ramps would need to be closed.

mrsman

As all have said, this would be a complete disaster to close the bridge for so long, given that there is only one other crossing in the area.

If they are working on the bridge itself, it must be done.  However, if they are only working the interchange, they should try to keep the bridge open for local traffic.  I-55 thru traffic and all trucks should be rerouted on 240/40.  The old bridge should be kept open to access Crump Blvd while they work on the I-55 flyover.  Riverside Drive should be closed south of Carolina Ave and the Fowler should be closed at McLemore. 

WHen the flyover opens, all bridge traffic should be led to the flyover while they close Crump and Riverside to work on the traffic circle.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: mrsman on October 14, 2014, 08:59:53 AM
As all have said, this would be a complete disaster to close the bridge for so long, given that there is only one other crossing in the area.

If they are working on the bridge itself, it must be done.  However, if they are only working the interchange, they should try to keep the bridge open for local traffic.  I-55 thru traffic and all trucks should be rerouted on 240/40.  The old bridge should be kept open to access Crump Blvd while they work on the I-55 flyover.  Riverside Drive should be closed south of Carolina Ave and the Fowler should be closed at McLemore. 

WHen the flyover opens, all bridge traffic should be led to the flyover while they close Crump and Riverside to work on the traffic circle.

From what I understood, this would be for the realignment of the intersection of Crump and I-55 on the eastside of the bridge where it basically becomes a one lane exit for southbound traffic and a horrifically tight 360 degree exit for northbound traffic and not work on the bridge itself.  Memphis just turned Riverside Dr into a two lane road instead of 4.  Arkansas should raise hell and demand a third bridge  that connects US 63 to TN 385 at Millington or TN 300 a little bit north of the New Bridge or a bridge south of West Memphis that feeds off I-40 and crosses over to Presidents Island to the US 51 area south of the refinery on the I 69 Dead end before anything like that ever happens. This will cripple Arkansas's intermodal facility and those that commute across the river to work. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arkansas fight it

codyg1985

^ I would love to see a third bridge built before any work is done on the I-55 Memphis-Arkansas Bridge. 

I could see I-55 being kept open during the interchange construction as mrsman suggests, but maybe they want to shorten the time frame of the work, or maybe they want to throw in some sort of improvements to the I-55 bridge which would require a total closure?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

formulanone

This reminds me of the time Professor Frink sent that missile to destroy the asteroid, but instead it hit the only bridge out of town.

So this is a close second, although only just, because that's a cartoon.

Chris

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/TrafficHistory/

Both bridges carry equal traffic, approximately 55,000 vehicles per day each.

One six-lane bridge (such as I-40) could carry 110,000 vehicles per day. Sure, it would be busy, but there are six-lane freeways with higher traffic counts. The problem though, is the overpass at Riverside Drive, it has only four lanes and no shoulders to turn into additional temporary lanes.

codyg1985

Quote from: Chris on October 30, 2014, 04:59:27 PM
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/TrafficHistory/

Both bridges carry equal traffic, approximately 55,000 vehicles per day each.

One six-lane bridge (such as I-40) could carry 110,000 vehicles per day. Sure, it would be busy, but there are six-lane freeways with higher traffic counts. The problem though, is the overpass at Riverside Drive, it has only four lanes and no shoulders to turn into additional temporary lanes.

Even though that is the case, it means that there is a single point of failure (the I-40 corridor between I-240 and I-55, specifically the MS River Bridge and the brief stretch over Riverside Drive) which would mean that if an incident occurred along that corridor, traffic would be snarled.

TDOT would also need to restripe the I-240N to I-40W and I-40E to I-240S ramps for two lanes throughout, similar to what was done in Knoxville at the I-40/640 interchanges when I-40 was rebuilt there. At least there you have enough of a shoulder to accommodate two lanes.

AHTD would also probably need to restripe I-40 through the I-40/55 east split as three lanes throughout, too.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NE2

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 31, 2014, 07:05:16 AM
Even though that is the case, it means that there is a single point of failure (the I-40 corridor between I-240 and I-55, specifically the MS River Bridge and the brief stretch over Riverside Drive) which would mean that if an incident occurred along that corridor, traffic would be snarled.
That's already true on the 40/55 overlap.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2014, 07:22:07 AM

That's true on I-40...PERIOD!
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2014, 07:22:07 AM

And it's a mess.

Grzrd

Quote from: Charles2 on October 09, 2014, 08:34:58 PM
Oy vey!!
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/26740818/tdot-leaders-consider-shutting-down-old-i-55-bridge-for-two-years
Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2014, 09:53:36 PM
More like...
OH SHIT!That narrows it down to just the I-40 bridge there.

Apologies if this story has already been linked in another thread, but this December 22, 2014 article reports that the FBI recently warned local authorities that ISIS might beat TDOT to the punch and try to close the I-55 bridge in a sudden and unannounced manner:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Memphis Division is warning police officers about a threat to blow up the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge sometime in December.  FOX13 News obtained the FBI bulletin sent to Mid-South Law Enforcement agencies warning about a possible Islamic State terror plot targeting the I-55 Bridge.
"According to an anonymous complainant, as of December 2014, ISIS instructed an ISIS member, a presumed USPER in Memphis, with a direct order to blow up the Memphis-Arkansas bridge on an unknown date, activating ISIS terror cells in the United States," the warning reads.
USPER is a law enforcement acronym for U.S. person
A Memphis Police spokesperson told FOX13 the department is aware of the threat and officers are patrolling the area around the bridge looking for suspicious activity.  Surveillance cameras linked the  MPD's Real Time Crime Center are focused on the bridge 24 hours a day.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Grzrd on January 06, 2015, 03:26:25 PM
Quote from: Charles2 on October 09, 2014, 08:34:58 PM
Oy vey!!
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/26740818/tdot-leaders-consider-shutting-down-old-i-55-bridge-for-two-years
Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2014, 09:53:36 PM
More like...
OH SHIT!That narrows it down to just the I-40 bridge there.

Apologies if this story has already been linked in another thread, but this December 22, 2014 article reports that the FBI recently warned local authorities that ISIS might beat TDOT to the punch and try to close the I-55 bridge in a sudden and unannounced manner:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Memphis Division is warning police officers about a threat to blow up the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge sometime in December.  FOX13 News obtained the FBI bulletin sent to Mid-South Law Enforcement agencies warning about a possible Islamic State terror plot targeting the I-55 Bridge.
"According to an anonymous complainant, as of December 2014, ISIS instructed an ISIS member, a presumed USPER in Memphis, with a direct order to blow up the Memphis-Arkansas bridge on an unknown date, activating ISIS terror cells in the United States," the warning reads.
USPER is a law enforcement acronym for U.S. person
A Memphis Police spokesperson told FOX13 the department is aware of the threat and officers are patrolling the area around the bridge looking for suspicious activity.  Surveillance cameras linked the  MPD's Real Time Crime Center are focused on the bridge 24 hours a day.
I drove across it multiple times this past weekend, the bridge itself is narrow and dangroup and quite frankly needs replaced period, end of story, for the I 55 aspect of it.

cbalducc

The Memphis-Arkansas Bridge (which carries I-55) was opened in 1949.  It was not built to Interstate standards. AFAIK, it was never modified. 

silverback1065

Is this project happening for sure?  I like the idea, the current interchange is terrible.

SteveG1988

2 years of pain for a lot less pain in the long run?

Sign me up. I'll use the 40 bridge instead. Will they be doing any work to the bridge itself during this period? would make sense to redeck it, and paint it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Grzrd

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 14, 2015, 11:26:45 AM
Is this project happening for sure?  I like the idea, the current interchange is terrible.

This project is one of several projects that TDOT will delay for at least one year.  Commissioner Schroer of TDOT explained the reason for the delay in this letter to the Tennessee General Assembly.

Tom958

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 14, 2015, 11:40:51 AMWill they be doing any work to the bridge itself during this period? would make sense to redeck it, and paint it.

Yes, it would, but if there's not enough funding for the interchange project alone...

...unless the closure would save enough money from the interchange project to do something nice for the bridge.  :hmmm:

They have another year to think about it now. Maybe common sense will prevail.   :bigass:

SteveG1988

There isn't much they can do to improve the bridge other than replace that interchange, but a redecking would be nice, maybe upgrading the lighting.

I would also put some money towards improving the pier protection and river navigation under it and the other bridges, maybe make it so all three bridges have skirting around the piers that are almost in line with each other, that way water cannot get around them and carve out mud and such from underneath them.

Also, why doesn't memphis have another road connection to Arkansas? The nearest one north is the I-155 bridge, and the nearest one south is in Helena. I'd like to see a bypass bridge be built, going from I-55 to I-40 way south of the city, or even a full upgrade of US49 to interstate standards to connect the two roads would be useful.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Tom958

There's a fairly recent study for a third Memphis crossing on TDoT's website, but I'm too lazy to look it up now. Maybe tomorrow. IIRC, what amounted to a westward extension of TN 300 was the preferred location. The big problem was that it would be difficult to finance without tolls but impossible to charge adequate tolls on what would be the least conveniently located of three Memphis crossings.

NE2

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/documents/MRCstudy.pdf (first Goog result for third Memphis crossing)
Maps on pages 52, 59, and 80.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.