News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Route Numbering Coincidences

Started by Dirt Roads, January 22, 2023, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

In Ontario, roadway "Highway 7" coincides with a bannered route 7.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Henry on January 26, 2023, 08:12:52 PM
MO 66, KS 66, OK 66, AZ 66 and CA 66 are all former alignments of US 66.

That's not really a coincidence, though, that was a deliberate choice by those states.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

Part of Iowa's Highway 78 is named for Jay Norwood "Ding" Darling...

...since he was involved with the National Wildlife Federation, the "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island was named for him.

It's almost off Florida State Road 78, but too good to pass up.

KCRoadFan

This thread seems redundant - for me, it brings to mind one I created myself a year-and-a-half ago:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29915.0

How do I merge two threads?

hotdogPi

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 01, 2023, 09:13:31 AM
This thread seems redundant - for me, it brings to mind one I created myself a year-and-a-half ago:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29915.0

How do I merge two threads?

This thread does not appear to be a duplicate. The OP's post was entirely in one state.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

dantheman

Quote from: Rothman on January 23, 2023, 08:38:48 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 23, 2023, 08:28:31 PM
MA/NH 28 was once New England Route 28.
So were a decent number of other routes that don't change across state lines in New England.

While most of these were directly converted from the old New England-wide route numbering system straight to state routes, the old New England Route 1 more-or-less became US 1. That was coincidental that a number from one grid system worked in a different grid system, especially because the New England system had odd numbers on E-W routes and the US system went with odd numbers on N-S routes. Good thing New England's shoreline goes NE-SW.

While not the same type of coincidence, it's funny to me that New England 3 mostly became US 6 and New England 6 mostly became US/MA 3.

sbeaver44

As a kid, my only exposure to New York State was fall trips to Watkins Glen, and probably 90% otherwise was in PA.  Since Pennsylvania often has a parent-child relationship between state routes (eg, PA 74, PA 174, and PA 274 being "related" ), and NY 14 and NY 414 intersect in Watkins Glen, I assumed they were similar.  Only many years later did I realize NYS doesn't tend to do this in the same way (more using letter suffixes like NY 14A, NY 96B, etc). NY 414 is simply a renumbered NY 44 that happens to intersect NY 14.  I guess the renumbering was because of US 44?  New York doesn't seem to care about duplicate numbers usually.

Declan127

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 05, 2023, 07:34:46 PM
As a kid, my only exposure to New York State was fall trips to Watkins Glen, and probably 90% otherwise was in PA.  Since Pennsylvania often has a parent-child relationship between state routes (eg, PA 74, PA 174, and PA 274 being "related" ), and NY 14 and NY 414 intersect in Watkins Glen, I assumed they were similar.  Only many years later did I realize NYS doesn't tend to do this in the same way (more using letter suffixes like NY 14A, NY 96B, etc). NY 414 is simply a renumbered NY 44 that happens to intersect NY 14.  I guess the renumbering was because of US 44?  New York doesn't seem to care about duplicate numbers usually.

US Routes are referenced with SR numbers (i.e. US 44 is NY 44), however interstates are given an "I" at the end (e.g. I-95 is NY 95I), so duplication is only allowed between interstates and state highways.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

fillup420

US 221, US 321, and US 421 all converge in Boone NC. i dont know of any other place that three " related"  routes all meet in one town.

cwf1701

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 24, 2023, 07:50:42 PM
Another one in Michigan is US-10 replaced M-10 in the beginning, then M-10 replaced US-10 on the Lodge Freeway when US-10 was routed on the Lodge. Historically US-10 ran on Woodward Avenue which is where M-10 was replaced with US-10.

And let not forget M-10 was signed in Flint in the 1930s before BUS-US-10 was created. M-10 in Flint was US-10 first route thru Flint and like M-10 on Woodward, was replaced by US-10 in 1926.

Fredddie

Before 1926, what's now US 18 through Iowa and Wisconsin was Highway 19 in both states.

roadman65

FL A1A being close to US 1 May suggest its number from that, but in reality A1A was chosen to avoid having two Route 1's near each other.

A1A was supposed to be FL 1 to fit the grid.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on February 07, 2023, 02:44:37 AM
FL A1A being close to US 1 May suggest its number from that, but in reality A1A was chosen to avoid having two Route 1's near each other.

In my mind, I always pictured A1A meaning "Atlantic 1 Alternate" because it ran between US 1 and the ocean.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2023, 08:44:40 PM
As the Sign State Routes were being plotted in California during 1934 there was a CA 95 and a CA 195.  Both routes before the end of the decade would become part of the US Route 95 family of highways.  CA 95 would become part of US 395 and CA 195 became part of US 95. 
CA-195 seems to have been based on it being near the border, as similar numbers were chosen for border routes. (94, 96, 98). I'm not sure why CA-95 was numbered that way, though. Maybe the logic was to have a two-digit "border" number for the LA Area, although something similar was not done for the Bay Area, unless CA-89 was supposed to serve a similar purpose.

ilpt4u

I feel like IL 145 between Harrisburg and Metropolis, in Southern IL, having both endpoints on US 45 and essentially being a rural bypass of Vienna and also a more direct route between its endpoints vs US 45, just happens to be IL 145 by coincidence.

It crosses IL 146 in Dixon Springs, IL 147 in Glendale, and the other IL 14xs are in nearby areas, so this part of Southern IL is where a 14x route should be, geographically. It just happens to act as an Alt or Bypass US 45

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on March 25, 2023, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2023, 08:44:40 PM
As the Sign State Routes were being plotted in California during 1934 there was a CA 95 and a CA 195.  Both routes before the end of the decade would become part of the US Route 95 family of highways.  CA 95 would become part of US 395 and CA 195 became part of US 95. 
CA-195 seems to have been based on it being near the border, as similar numbers were chosen for border routes. (94, 96, 98). I'm not sure why CA-95 was numbered that way, though. Maybe the logic was to have a two-digit "border" number for the LA Area, although something similar was not done for the Bay Area, unless CA-89 was supposed to serve a similar purpose.

Jumping from Route 127 to 195 in the 1934 Sign Route designations was quite the leap.  There is no way that there was going to bunch that much Sign Route infill between 127-195 out in the deserts, especially back during the 1930s.  Given there seemed to be a lot of desire around to get US 95 extended at the time it doesn't seem that surprising the DOH might try to plan for it in advance.  The ION Highway being modernized in Oregon is what held up US 95 being extended before US 395. 

webny99

Would the numerous "404 errors" (US 404 shields) posted on NY 404 over the years count as coincidence?  :sombrero:

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2023, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 07, 2023, 02:44:37 AM
FL A1A being close to US 1 May suggest its number from that, but in reality A1A was chosen to avoid having two Route 1’s near each other.

In my mind, I always pictured A1A meaning "Atlantic 1 Alternate" because it ran between US 1 and the ocean.

There was also once a G1A, which is a causeway that leads to the Gulf of Mexico (now SR 300), but it was nowhere near as long as A1A.

A gulf counterpart to A1A (G41A?) would be an interesting Fictional exercise, but it require a lot more bridges to double back to Tamiami Trail, and that's not going to happen any time soon.

MATraveler128

Massachusetts also has MA 228, which took the number from the fact that it used to be a part of MA 128 before it was cut back to the present day Braintree Split.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 26, 2023, 10:27:27 AM
I feel like IL 145 between Harrisburg and Metropolis, in Southern IL, having both endpoints on US 45 and essentially being a rural bypass of Vienna and also a more direct route between its endpoints vs US 45, just happens to be IL 145 by coincidence.

It crosses IL 146 in Dixon Springs, IL 147 in Glendale, and the other IL 14xs are in nearby areas, so this part of Southern IL is where a 14x route should be, geographically. It just happens to act as an Alt or Bypass US 45

I get a similar impression too. I also wonder if IL-140 has a number that's coincidentally related to US40.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hbelkins

I've always thought some of Ohio's route numbers for bridges and approaches are intentionally coincidental. OH 527 is in the neighborhood of US 52 and OH 7, and OH 852 links US 52 and KY 8.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 26, 2023, 10:27:27 AM

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 28, 2023, 08:11:25 PM
I get a similar impression too. I also wonder if IL-140 has a number that's coincidentally related to US40.

Oh wow, with route number clustering in Illinois, it had never even occurred to me that one of them might have been purposefully given its particular number within the cluster based on nearby routes.  An interesting thought exercise...

Do you know if 242's number was derived from 142?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kphoger on March 29, 2023, 12:37:39 PM

Oh wow, with route number clustering in Illinois, it had never even occurred to me that one of them might have been purposefully given its particular number within the cluster based on nearby routes.  An interesting thought exercise...

Do you know if 242's number was derived from 142?

You clearly missed the word "coincidentally" in my original post.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

wanderer2575

In Michigan, M-137 existed long before the route about six miles east was redesignated as part of M-37.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.