Carmakers like VW are bringing back buttons because drivers loathe all the touch

Started by ZLoth, April 27, 2023, 04:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 11, 2024, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 01:41:41 AM
Eh, I'd rather have the CDs. Way harder for telemarketers to interrupt them.

Seriously, people figured out a way for offline media such as songs on your phone to have "advertising". This is what happens when every single thing is combined into one device. I'm sorry, life was just more interesting when we interacted with multiple objects every day rather than a single Joypod.

I prefer CDs for many reasons, but I've never heard of this happening.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

I mean, even if you have CDs ripped to your phone, that does nothing to prevent the too-common occurrence of your listening interrupted because it's ducked down under the ringtone caused by some asshole calling you to try and hit you up for money you don't have. And then you have to try and fumble around with whatever control to reject the call, and then sometimes the volume gets messed up...

With a CD, the music keeps going while the phone just vibrates uselessly in my pocket. Anyone who actually needs to get ahold of me knows I don't answer the phone in the car.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 07:37:44 PMI mean, even if you have CDs ripped to your phone, that does nothing to prevent the too-common occurrence of your listening interrupted because it's ducked down under the ringtone caused by some asshole calling you to try and hit you up for money you don't have.

You know, there is a "Do Not Disturb" feature available on phones nowadays. If you go into Android Settings → Connected Devices → Communications Preferences → Driving Mode, you can automatically turn on Do Not Disturb when you are connected to certain Bluetooth Devices. And, you can also go into Do Not Disturb settings so that "Starred Contacts" are able to get in touch with you even if you are driving. Of course, I enjoy the call sceening application that my Pixel phone has.

Starting in 2021, cars started phasing out CD players, so it's becoming an expensive option if offered at all. And, unfortunately, physical media is a dying form.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Scott5114

If I go into Android Settings → Connected Devices → Communications Preferences → Driving Mode, that's way more time having to touch the gross hell rectangle than I can take the psychic damage from. If I have to go four levels deep into a menu just to tell a device not to be annoying, that device has failed at its job.

And it doesn't even sound like that would help, considering I connect with an aux cable. I drive a 2009 Pontiac.

GCrites

To clarify, I'm talking about telemarketers calling while you are listening music on your phone.

7/8

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 09:08:33 PM
If I go into Android Settings → Connected Devices → Communications Preferences → Driving Mode, that's way more time having to touch the gross hell rectangle than I can take the psychic damage from. If I have to go four levels deep into a menu just to tell a device not to be annoying, that device has failed at its job.

And it doesn't even sound like that would help, considering I connect with an aux cable. I drive a 2009 Pontiac.

Do Not Disturb can also be turned on very quickly by swiping down from the top of the screen and setting it as one of your main "functions" (not sure the right word... but for example mine include Wifi, Bluetooth, flashlight, etc.). I use it every night so my phone doesn't go off while I'm asleep.

I used to be a big CD guy, and I still have a decent-sized collection, but I never use them anymore. Spotify is just too good of a deal to compete IMO. Something like $15 a month for my family to simultaneously stream almost any song we can think of. I've paid for CD's that cost more than that, and that's for a single album! It's also amazing at finding new music from smaller acts I would likely never hear about.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2024, 09:08:33 PM

And here I was bummed out because the 2002 Ford I just bought doesn't have a tape deck.  CD and radio only.  Not even an aux jack.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

I definitely prefer CDs as well. Trying to mess with a phone while driving seems like too much of a hassle, not to mention being illegal in plenty of areas.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 12, 2024, 07:15:01 PM
Trying to mess with a phone while driving seems like too much of a hassle, not to mention being illegal in plenty of areas.

It does strike me as strange that so many people seem to think everyone should do everything on their phone while driving, at the same time that more and more jurisdictions are prohibiting the use of phones while driving.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2024, 07:17:38 PM
Trying to mess with a phone while driving seems like too much of a hassle, not to mention being illegal in plenty of areas.

It does strike me as strange that so many people seem to think everyone should do everything on their phone while driving, at the same time that more and more jurisdictions are prohibiting the use of phones while driving.

Oh, it's definitely distracting. Because if the shuffle function puts on a song I'm not in the mood for, I have to pull the phone out of the little cubby it stays in, draw the pattern on the screen to unlock it, and press the "next" button.

If you hook the phone up to the car through Bluetooth, you can do this with the onboard touchscreen, but that's not an acceptable solution because 1) my car doesn't have one of those, and even if it did 2) I'm not comfortable with the amount of data that sends back from the phone to the car manufacturer (who, as far as I can tell, has no legitimate reason to have that data).

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2024, 07:17:38 PM

That's what's driving a lot of the integration.  Using the phone is illegal.  Using the controls on the car to control the phone, however, is legal.  Plus a lot of people just use apps like Pandora, so they're not constantly picking songs/albums.  If they do have their music library on their phone, it's often on shuffle.

Back when I had my iPod, I'd set up the "on the go" playlist before drives when I was going to use it.  VLC has the ability to set playlists as well, but I haven't actually gotten around to setting any up since I rarely hook up my phone to my car (and if I am, it's to stream a podcast).  I've been in the habit the past 9 years to just listen to the sound of the road when out of range of my radio presets, and while I reserve the right to play music on my phone in those circumstances, I've never pulled the trigger on that.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2024, 08:25:32 PM
I'm not comfortable with the amount of data that sends back from the phone to the car manufacturer (who, as far as I can tell, has no legitimate reason to have that data).
And this right here is why I'll never connect my phone to my car via anything more sophisticated than an aux cable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Phone mount...love mine.

I find Android Auto interfaces geared to lead people to pay for premium versions of apps.  Blech.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vdeane on March 12, 2024, 08:54:24 PM
I've been in the habit the past 9 years to just listen to the sound of the road when out of range of my radio presets, and while I reserve the right to play music on my phone in those circumstances, I've never pulled the trigger on that.

I keep my car's CD player loaded with CDs for that same reason.

Quote from: vdeane on March 12, 2024, 08:54:24 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2024, 08:25:32 PM
I'm not comfortable with the amount of data that sends back from the phone to the car manufacturer (who, as far as I can tell, has no legitimate reason to have that data).
And this right here is why I'll never connect my phone to my car via anything more sophisticated than an aux cable.

Same. I'm glad my current car has both an aux port (along with my phone) and a 6-CD player. It can do bluetooth, but I don't bother with it for obvious reasons.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Rothman

Eh, I still find data privacy concerns overblown, considering the level of harm that could really come from it to me, personally.

I find Bluetooth and the ability to make hands-free calls and the like invaluable while driving.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ZLoth

Quote from: vdeane on March 12, 2024, 08:54:24 PMI've been in the habit the past 9 years to just listen to the sound of the road when out of range of my radio presets, and while I reserve the right to play music on my phone in those circumstances, I've never pulled the trigger on that.

Some of us would rather not deal with terrestrial radio and what feels like "40 minutes of commercials, DJ blabbing, and radio contests and 20 minutes of actual music" and would rather be our own masters of the music, podcasts, and audiobooks that are played back in our vehicles. Also, many of the radio stations are streaming now. I'm frequently tuning in to WRR for Classical Music and the NWS radio KEC-56 through Radio Garden.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on March 13, 2024, 11:09:47 AM
Some of us would rather not deal with terrestrial radio and what feels like "40 minutes of commercials, DJ blabbing, and radio contests and 20 minutes of actual music" and would rather be our own masters of the music, podcasts, and audiobooks that are played back in our vehicles.

I normally listen to public radio for this reason. (I also like jazz, and it seems like that's not commercially viable, so it's only found on public radio.)
Las Vegas has a UNLV-run public radio station that plays jazz, and it's not NPR-affiliated, so there's not even any news at the top of the hour. There is a little bit of DJ banter, but it's just kind of comical since it's a university station.

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 14, 2024, 05:47:39 PMLas Vegas has a UNLV-run public radio station that plays jazz, and it's not NPR-affiliated, so there's not even any news at the top of the hour. There is a little bit of DJ banter, but it's just kind of comical since it's a university station.

Are you talking about KUNV in Las Vegas? Looks like they have a streaming feed that is accessible from Radio Garden along with my local classical music station WRR in Dallas.

Looks like Radio Garden has implemented a subscription model, but at a reasonable price for $2.49 per month or $26 per year if you want an equalizer or sleep timer.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 14, 2024, 05:47:39 PM

Quote from: ZLoth on March 13, 2024, 11:09:47 AM
Some of us would rather not deal with terrestrial radio and what feels like "40 minutes of commercials, DJ blabbing, and radio contests and 20 minutes of actual music" and would rather be our own masters of the music, podcasts, and audiobooks that are played back in our vehicles.

I normally listen to public radio for this reason.

There are two local NPR stations here, and I listen to them pretty much exclusively during my daily commute, plus at some other times.  But what sucks is when both of them are into their pledge drives at the same time.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

kalvado

Rothman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.