News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite bridges

Started by InterstateGuy, August 30, 2017, 10:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InterstateGuy

Just a thread to ask everybody what some of their favorite bridges are. Doesnt have to be any specific type, it could even be just a regular highway bridge, like an overpass. My favorite suspension bridge is the GW and the new Tappan Zee looks absolutely AMAZING!!! I have also made threads regarding this one small bridge in PA that makes a really unusual noise when you go over it. Here's a video of me driving over it. Probably my favorite non-major crossing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jWCunZULEk&index=1&list=UUA9goLSLNmNmzbrAguvdNag

Rothman

Roebling Viaduct over the Delaware

Zakim Bridge

Espada Acequia

Oliver Bridge (near Superior, WI)

Skew Arch Bridge (PA)

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

InterstateGuy

The Zakim Bridge has a unique design and i looked up that Roebling Bridge. Could hardly tell it is actually a suspension bridge. Pretty cool!  :nod:

mrose

I've been over the Sydney Harbour bridge a couple of times and that was pretty cool.

It's been awhile but I used to enjoy crossing the Missouri River at Jefferson City which are twin arch trusses. I actually remember the first time it was just one span with three lanes (a reversible one in the center) and the second one was under construction; on a later trip the second span was open.

In general I am fascinated by twin spans where a second bridge and carriageway are built to perfectly match the one next to it, especially if it's an old cantilever type that might otherwise be way out of fashion. You didn't see many bridges like those built in the 80s and 90s so it was kind of a lark to see them build a modern copy of an existing bridge that was 50 or 60 years old. You think about all the differences in engineering and materials and labor between two different periods of time but the ultimate result is something that is supposed to be a carbon copy.

plain

The Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The view does it for me
Newark born, Richmond bred

JJBers

Bulkeley Bridge in Hartford, CT. Real historic bridge on a interstate, being the oldest one in the system.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

epzik8

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is a big favorite of mine. It connects Maryland's Western and Eastern Shores.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

The Bixby Creek Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, Mackinac Bridge, Bahia Honda Bridge, the Old Seven Mile Bridge, the Colorado Street Bridge, and an odd one with the Royal Gorge Bridge are among some of my favorites off the top my head.  I generally prefer classic arch, suspension, and truss bridges to modern stuff. 

1995hoo

The Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, England

The Sunshine Skyway

The Dames Point Bridge east of Jacksonville
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

InterstateGuy

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 01, 2017, 09:10:50 PM
The Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, England

The Sunshine Skyway

The Dames Point Bridge east of Jacksonville

I do like the design of the cable-stayed bridges. I think the new Goethals looks pretty cool too.

sparker

I've always been partial to the bridges on US 101 on the Oregon coast -- primarily the tied-arch Coos Bay and Newport crossings -- but I also like the truss/concrete arch structures at Reedsport and Waldport.  Given that that highway is one of (if not the) all-time favorite recreational drives that I've made (at least 20 times!), the various bridges -- even the shorter and less picturesque ones -- have always been personally memorable.     

InterstateGuy

Quote from: sparker on September 04, 2017, 01:40:01 AM
I've always been partial to the bridges on US 101 on the Oregon coast -- primarily the tied-arch Coos Bay and Newport crossings -- but I also like the truss/concrete arch structures at Reedsport and Waldport.  Given that that highway is one of (if not the) all-time favorite recreational drives that I've made (at least 20 times!), the various bridges -- even the shorter and less picturesque ones -- have always been personally memorable.     

Those are some pretty neat looking bridges. I really like the design of the one at Coos Bay. looks awesome!

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

My favorites have to be:

1) The Leonard P. Zakim Bridge in Boston, part of the Big Dig (Massachusetts)

2) The Yadkin River Veterans Memorial Bridge on I-85 in Rowan and Davidson counties (North Carolina)

3) The Arthur Ravenel Bridge in Charleston (South Carolina)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST ---- my childhood favorite --- San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge!!!!

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

MCRoads

i have to say that my favorite bridges are the HRBT, the MMBT, and the Chesapeake Bridge tunnel. My least favorite being the HRBT, because of the traffic.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.