News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sounds that drive you up the wall?

Started by index, March 23, 2018, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

I have misophonia*, and as such, there are lots of sounds I cannot stand. To name a few, whispering, gum/food chewing, giggling, pencil sharpeners, nasaly voices, and wet shoes squeaking. People whispering, talking in a low voice, chewing loudly, or smacking their gum will make me angrily twitch, break small things like pencils, and fidget. Those ASMR videos you may have heard of are perfect piss-a-person-with-misophonia-off material, and I'm no exception. Those make me want to smash a window.

I'm trying in class to vent from people doing just this. My arms and hands are twitching, I'm angrily balling my hand into a fist,tappig
fingers, pulling keys off my keyboard, (putting them back on after though) tapping my feet, and pressing the tip of my pencil against my desk and breaking it, all because these motormouths who shouldn't even be talking in the first place won't stop. Oddly enough, when I hear wet shoes squeaking, I shiver and feel all cold. I don't know why. Also oddly enough, some sounds that most people with misophonia despise, like walking or driving on gravel, rain, and dripping water, I thoroughly enjoy.

When I was around 11, my brother would not stop chewing and smacking his cereal. Sounds annoying, right? Not just annoying for me. I was absolutely infuriated by this. I took his bowl, dumped it in the sink, and knocked his water bottle off the table when he didn't stop after I asked him to stop. I began to yell a slew of insults... Not my proudest moment. Around that age was probably when my anger from sounds like what I've listed was the worst.

*Misophonia is a disease that causes strong and usually angry, irritated, or infuriated reactions to specific sounds.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Max Rockatansky

I can't stand the sound of turn-signals and often shut mine off at long traffic lights .

busman_49

People Chewing!!!  There was a Grape Nuts commercial years ago that I thankfully only heard twice...it started off with the sound of someone crunching on the cereal.  HATED it...

abefroman329

Packing tape being unrolled/placed on a box.  I'm OK with Scotch tape, masking tape, and duct tape, though.

formulanone

The squeaking of Styrofoam / polystyrene packaging makes me twitch. Dashboard or trim rattles in a vehicle over long periods of time is also quite annoying.

Quote from: index on March 23, 2018, 08:57:00 AM
nasaly voices

Sorry, can't help it.

kurumi

Office neighbor crunching Doritos at his desk

Office neighbor slurping yogurt at his desk

Sound of soda/beer pouring into a glass in a radio commercial (so refreshing aaaaaaaaah)

Petulant BEEP BEEP BEEP of Verifone chip card reader when it's time to remove your card (with 0.1 millisecond grace period)

Taptaptaptaptap of water dripping in a drain pipe after a rain

Belligerent crow arguments at 5 am
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman

The worst for me is people with earbuds or headphones that crank the music up so loud it bleeds out - what I call 'digital hash."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

adventurernumber1

There's probably not a single person on this earth that wouldn't be undescribably distressed by the classic "fingernails on the chalkboard" sound - which just thinking about makes me shiver just a little bit - but thankfully that doesn't happen too often, unless your teacher might be a little off their rocker.  :-D  :paranoid:

So the most prominent one for me (that is common) would be wiping down (cleaning) tables. Both the sound of it, and how it feels when doing it yourself, I absolutely cannot stand. It puts a very uncomfortable and strange feeling on my ears, and it almost nauseates me a little bit, and I even grind my teeth. I don't know why, but that's just how I am, so basically I can never, ever be the person to wipe down tables (and if I am in the presence of someone doing so, it is going to be a long, painful minute for me) - this has caused some problems - the most prominent one is when I was at a art camp as a young kid, and all of us had to wipe down the tables after we were done painting or sculpting or whatever (fun fact: I actually painted a portrait of an Exxon gas station and sign at this camp that I still have, with my dad pumping gas I believe) - I could not do the chore myself, and in the presence of the other kids doing it, I was closing my eyes and covering my ears - the other kids, however, were annoyed and questioning my motives for not helping them clean up, but they just wouldn't understand.  :-|  :-/
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

vdeane

Shoes scuffing on the pavement.  It makes me react similarly to the fingernails on chalkboard sound.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Hillary Clinton talking. Dick Vitale doing whatever it is that he does.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: kurumi on March 23, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
Petulant BEEP BEEP BEEP of Verifone chip card reader when it's time to remove your card (with 0.1 millisecond grace period)

I've seen fewer chip readers that buzz and more that chime.  It would help with both if there was some other indicator that the card could be removed besides a screen that changes from DO NOT REMOVE CARD to REMOVE CARD imperceptibly.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

Quote from: busman_49 on March 23, 2018, 09:34:16 AM
People Chewing!!!  There was a Grape Nuts commercial years ago that I thankfully only heard twice...it started off with the sound of someone crunching on the cereal.  HATED it...

my wife is obsessed with watching me eat.  I'll often leave the room.  if you hate the sound so much...

texaskdog

I can't stand whispering, shushing (that show Quiet Library drove me nuts), whistling, loud noises when people bang plates around

mgk920

Gangsta (c)rap, death metal and modern country music.

:-o

Mike

KeithE4Phx

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

adventurernumber1

I just remembered something else - metal utensils or anything else hard scraping against plastic trays (usually in cafeterias at schools or camp retreats or elsewhere) - this sound drives me even more nuts than the wiping down tables. This sound also reminds me of the "fingernails on the chalkboard" thing, but of course it is not quite as bad as that.  :-o  :no:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

pumpkineater2

The sound of people breathing. Most people's  breathing is virtually silent, however My Dad breathes absurdly loud, and it has always driven me insane. I've never told him this though. What am I supposed to say? "Dad, please stop breathing."? :spin:

Also, the sound of someone eating cereal, especially in a quiet room. I'm also super self conscious when I'm eating cereal; I can not have another human being in the same room as me while I'm eating it. I just can't.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 01:37:19 PM
I think we all want Hillary to STFU and go away

P00I

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on March 23, 2018, 10:55:13 PM

P00I

Same goes for Dukie V.  Screamin' A. Smith as well.  :pan:
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

bandit957

The sound of people popping bubble gum is absolutely hilarious. It's not annoying. It's automatically hilarious because it involves gum.

I know someone who set aside an entire day to try to figure out how to pop their gum without blowing a bubble. They gave up, although they are eminently capable of blowing bubbles. People who are good at bubbling usually are not very good at making that popping sound. Oh well. Bubbling is even funnier.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Henry

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 23, 2018, 11:07:51 PM
Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on March 23, 2018, 10:55:13 PM

P00I

Same goes for Dukie V.  Screamin' A. Smith as well.  :pan:
And, above all else, Joe Buck.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 23, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
Quote from: kurumi on March 23, 2018, 11:51:19 AM

I've seen fewer chip readers that buzz and more that chime.  It would help with both if there was some other indicator that the card could be removed besides a screen that changes from DO NOT REMOVE CARD to REMOVE CARD imperceptibly.

Ours at work pop up a big green APPROVED, but some people refuse to pull the card out until the Verifone starts honking at them. I guess they're afraid the credit card network is going to unapprove them.

Last time I went to Target, they had configured theirs to emit a soft gong-like chime.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2018, 09:18:48 AM
I can't stand the sound of turn-signals and often shut mine off at long traffic lights .
ZING!

As much as they are a convenience for folks because turn signals are required at every single solitary turn and some turns don't reset it, I do hate it myself.  However, I find it a godsend and useful when using the flash-to-pass. (did it work?)

also,

:sombrero: :bigass: :popcorn: :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

LM117

Quote from: Henry on March 24, 2018, 01:10:06 AMAnd, above all else, Joe Buck.

Listening to Cris Collinsworth having a meltdown when calls did not favor the Patriots during the Super Bowl last month made me miss Joe Buck.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.