News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Sounds that drive you up the wall?

Started by index, March 23, 2018, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 10:15:01 AM
Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2018, 09:59:05 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 09:06:44 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on March 27, 2018, 06:46:48 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 27, 2018, 04:46:43 PM
What about the sound of someone's repeated loud belching? 
Would most people agree that is a disgusting and offensive sound?

The problem with it is that you are wondering if you are about to hear the sound of the chunks hitting the floor.
Are you kidding? That's f'n hilarious  :D :D :rofl:
The other afternoon, someone on the bus let out a fart that smelled so bad I thought they shat themselves.  THAT was disgusting.  Since belching is odorless unless you're right in the face of the belcher, it's just hilarious.

But if the belching is followed by the sound of the chunks hitting the floor, that would most definitely -not- be odorless.  It would be quite smelly.
OK, then:
Vomiting in a closed space: Disgusting
Vomiting in an open space: Not my favorite thing, but OK
Belching without vomiting: Hilarious

Vomiting outdoors into the grass is no big deal.
Vomiting indoors into a commode is no big deal.

Puking in a crowded subway car is a disaster.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2018, 11:15:29 AM

I've witnessed that and yes, it is.  I've also read a possibly apocryphal tale about someone puking on the live third rail and what happened afterwards.

mgk920

Quote from: cjk374 on March 28, 2018, 09:33:42 AM

The problem with it is that you are wondering if you are about to hear the sound of the chunks hitting the floor.

The other afternoon, someone on the bus let out a fart that smelled so bad I thought they shat themselves.  THAT was disgusting.  Since belching is odorless unless you're right in the face of the belcher, it's just hilarious.

At least THAT wasn't in an elevator.  :-D

Nonononononono!

It's gotta be in the middle of a booooorrrring class in a full several hundred seat lecture pit!

:nod:

Mike

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: mgk920 on March 28, 2018, 12:05:19 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 28, 2018, 09:33:42 AM

At least THAT wasn't in an elevator.  :-D

Nonononononono!

It's gotta be in the middle of a booooorrrring class in a full several hundred seat lecture pit!

:nod:

Mike
That's when you fart and spray Liquid Ass at the same time! :-D
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

renegade

I had a co-worker who whistled.  Constantly.  If I asked him to stop, he only did it more.   :ded:
Anyone who loudly cracks chewing gum should be banished to a remote island.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

The late Malcolm Kilduff's sneezing.

Mac Kilduff was the assistant press secretary to JFK who announced his death in Dallas in 1963. He also held the Dictaphone machine that recorded the swearing-in of LBJ on Air Force One.

Mac married a woman from my hometown and they moved there when they retired. I worked with Mac for a few years and was proud to call him a friend.

Mac put on several dozen pounds between 1963 and 1977 or so, when he moved to Kentucky. He was a rather portly fellow. Much bigger than I am, for those who know me. Anytime he would sneeze, it sounded like an elephant bellowing while having an orgasm. It was loud and if you heard that, you couldn't help but notice it.

Anytime he would cut loose with one of those loud, no-doubt-embellished-mightily sneezes, his wife would say, ever so sweetly, "God bless you, Mac."

I'm posting in the "drive you up a wall" thread, but the reality is that the sound made me laugh.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

Scratching fingernails on a blackboard.
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 11:29:03 AM

I've witnessed that and yes, it is.  I've also read a possibly apocryphal tale about someone puking on the live third rail and what happened afterwards.

Same, except it was inside a streetcar. It was so smelly, I had to move down the streetcar on the outside at the next stop.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

abefroman329

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 28, 2018, 02:46:30 PM
Scratching fingernails on a blackboard.

Same, except it was inside a streetcar. It was so smelly, I had to move down the streetcar on the outside at the next stop.

One thing I learned from living in NYC is that, if a subway train comes into the station, and all the cars except one are packed, and the car that isn't packed is empty or only has one person, there's a reason.  Usually it's the heating or AC aren't working, or there's a godawful smell in there.  Shortly after we moved to Chicago, we were taking the L home, and my wife insisted on getting in the one empty car on the train.  I tried to talk her out of it, but she insisted.  Turns out the BO of the homeless person in there had drive everyone else out.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 02:52:16 PM
One thing I learned from living in NYC is that, if a subway train comes into the station, and all the cars except one are packed, and the car that isn't packed is empty or only has one person, there's a reason.  Usually it's the heating or AC aren't working, or there's a godawful smell in there.  Shortly after we moved to Chicago, we were taking the L home, and my wife insisted on getting in the one empty car on the train.  I tried to talk her out of it, but she insisted.  Turns out the BO of the homeless person in there had drive everyone else out.
I'm sorry, but :-D
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Beltway

Fried vomit?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

seicer

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2018, 04:16:05 PM

Fried vomit?

Bingo.

roadman65

I think car alarms with horns would qualify.  How many times does an alarm go off because of driver carelessness?  If someone did try to break in, because of so many false alarms, the thief would have no problem in doing so as we all seem to ignore it now. 

However, I hate when someone sets it off and it takes them about 60 seconds to deactivate it.  Many times I just want to yell out "Shut that fricking alarm off, your being rude by allowing it to sound off this long!"
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on March 28, 2018, 04:40:20 PM
I think car alarms with horns would qualify.  How many times does an alarm go off because of driver carelessness?  If someone did try to break in, because of so many false alarms, the thief would have no problem in doing so as we all seem to ignore it now. 

However, I hate when someone sets it off and it takes them about 60 seconds to deactivate it.  Many times I just want to yell out "Shut that fricking alarm off, your being rude by allowing it to sound off this long!"

Could be worse.  I once lived in a subdivision where someone's house alarm went off all weekend because they were out of town and no one could get in touch with them to get them to shut it off (this was the early 1990s).  We called the cops and they were like "nothing we can do."

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 04:36:27 PM
Fried vomit?
Bingo.

Does sound apocryphal.   To my knowledge the typical third rail voltage and amperage does not produce heating, and if outdoors in cold climates may need installation of heating elements to prevent ice or frost from forming on the third rail.

Would pouring liquid on the third rail cause a short circuit and heating?  Maybe, I don't know.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2018, 04:50:31 PM
Fried vomit?
Bingo.

Does sound apocryphal.   To my knowledge the typical third rail voltage and amperage does not produce heating, and if outdoors in cold climates may need installation of heating elements to prevent ice or frost from forming on the third rail.

Would pouring liquid on the third rail cause a short circuit and heating?  Maybe, I don't know.

If it helps, this allegedly happened on the NYC subway, in (I think) an above-ground station.

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 04:58:39 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2018, 04:50:31 PM
Fried vomit?
Bingo.
If it helps, this allegedly happened on the NYC subway, in (I think) an above-ground station.

Was this in the news somewhere?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2018, 05:25:12 PM
Was this in the news somewhere?

No, it was one of those chain emails, or maybe a forum post somewhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.