News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How can I delete my account?

Started by snowc, December 01, 2021, 11:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

@Alex has been unresponsive on my request to delete my account, as my parents caught me on this without permission.
I understand that @Scott5114 has told me you can't delete accounts as it breaks the system.
But @Alex said in a form post that you can delete accounts, but that post was removed and locked in Speed Kills Your Pocketbook.
How can I delete this account?
I also understand that you cannot post content that tells the forum you are leaving. But this is important as my parents got very mad at me and took away my gmail account.  :rolleyes:
Thanks and I hope everyone has a great afternoon.
BRYCE M

hotdogPi

It is definitely technically possible. You become the equivalent of an unregistered user when your account is deleted. You definitely can't do it yourself, though.

It's also irreversible. You won't be able to get your account back if you change your mind.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Perhaps you could change the password to something you could never remember, maybe by typing a bunch of gibberish characters. If your parents took away your e-mail access, presumably you would be unable to receive an e-mail to reset the password should you then want to log in sometime in the future, such that your account would be effectively locked without being deleted?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Wait a minute... you're 20. You can do whatever you want without your parents having control over you.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2021, 11:28:18 AM
Wait a minute... you're 20. You can do whatever you want without your parents having control over you.

Not if he's living in their house.  That's the way it was with me and my folks.  It's also one of the reasons I moved out at 19.  The only right I had while living with them was the right to vote.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2021, 11:28:18 AM
^This.

Then again, perhaps there are other factors coming into play here (e.g., special circumstances).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Maybe it's time to move out given they are telling a 20 year they can't be on a simple road forum. 

7/8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2021, 11:41:14 AM
Maybe it's time to move out given they are telling a 20 year they can't be on a simple road forum.

snowc, if you read this, you should move out. Your parents shouldn't take away your email account for any reason, let alone for joining a road forum.

JayhawkCO

No offense to all with good intentions, but I feel like this isn't necessarily the forum (figuratively and literally) to give out life advice in this case.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 7/8 on December 01, 2021, 11:45:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2021, 11:41:14 AM

snowc, if you read this, you should move out. Your parents shouldn't take away your email account for any reason, let alone for joining a road forum.

Assuming the OP is of sound mind/body and really is of adult age (both seem to be questionable) then they have already given lots of other reasons in numerous threads why getting away from the cited parental units is a good idea. 

jeffandnicole

Just because he said he's 20 doesn't mean he's 20. Could be 14.  Could be -1.  No one's checking ID here.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2021, 12:26:26 PM
Just because he said he's 20 doesn't mean he's 20. Could be 14.  Could be -1.  No one's checking ID here.

Speaking from experience I used to bump my age up in my late teens on Internet forums to seem slightly more credible.  It probably didn't work but I assume others in the same age demographic do the same here. 

vdeane

Getting angry at someone for being on this forum and deleting their gmail account strikes me as very extreme, especially if snowc's age is even remotely accurate.  This goes WAY beyond "my house, my rules".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2021, 11:26:12 AM
It is definitely technically possible. You become the equivalent of an unregistered user when your account is deleted. You definitely can't do it yourself, though.

It's also irreversible. You won't be able to get your account back if you change your mind.

This post is 100% right. We do have the option to delete an account in the software, but I won't use it as a matter of policy. As you state, if you change your mind, you can't get the account back, and certain features of having an account, like ability to look up post history, post count, last login information, IP information, etc. are permanently lost. Given that snowc has quit the forum before, then came back, I wouldn't judge it as prudent to delete the account and potentially subject us to the headache of trying to figure out if a newly registered account belongs to them or not without having the post history and information to aid in that.

The advice I usually give is to scramble the password, as stated above. I suppose another option could be an indefinite ban issued at user request, since at least that could be rescinded should a user decide they wish to return.

Alex owns the forum and can do whatever he wants. If he decides to delete an account, oh well, that's his decision.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Again, I just want to make sure everyone has read snowc's signature why there may be some extenuating circumstances in this case.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 01, 2021, 12:59:31 PM
Again, I just want to make sure everyone has read snowc's signature why there may be some extenuating circumstances in this case.

The OP has also discussed some family related items that I'm sure a external figure would not want on a public forum.  That probably has a lot to do with "extenuating"  circumstance and why a parental figure wouldn't be too pleased.

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 01, 2021, 11:54:59 AM
No offense to all with good intentions, but I feel like this isn't necessarily the forum (figuratively and literally) to give out life advice in this case.

Actually, online communities of all sorts have helped kids in tough parenting situations...if that's really the case here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Personally, to go on a hard stance about it, its not really the admin's problem. The user should just log out and not log back in again. What's to say this person won't simply open a new account tomorrow?  If the story is true, it's a personal family issue, not a forum admin issue.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on December 01, 2021, 01:06:44 PM

Actually, online communities of all sorts have helped kids in tough parenting situations...if that's really the case here.

I've been trying to be delicate about it, but I'll come out and say it.  Parenting is different when you have a 20 year old with autism.

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 01, 2021, 01:12:13 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 01, 2021, 01:06:44 PM

I've been trying to be delicate about it, but I'll come out and say it.  Parenting is different when you have a 20 year old with autism.

Hence my previous reference to "special circumstances."  If snow becomes hyperfocused on the forum to the detriment of their real life, then that could be a serious issue.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2021, 01:11:01 PM
Personally, to go on a hard stance about it, its not really the admin's problem. The user should just log out and not log back in again. What's to say this person won't simply open a new account tomorrow?  If the story is true, it's a personal family issue, not a forum admin issue.

Or the OP could put the work in and delete as many posts as possible.  That doesn't solve issues like people who quoted information and such.  But like you said, I don't see why this would be put on the Admin to solve for the OP or anyone else.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2021, 01:17:47 PM

Or the OP could put the work in and delete as many posts as possible.  That doesn't solve issues like people who quoted information and such.  But like you said, I don't see why this would be put on the Admin to solve for the OP or anyone else.

Remember when webny99 did that? Not a good idea.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2021, 01:18:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2021, 01:17:47 PM

Remember when webny99 did that? Not a good idea.

Yes, but if the OP has done something to offend a family member I would imagine it has something to do with personal information being disclosed.  That being the case, find the information, delete it, log out and never return.  It's surprisingly easy to delete non-thread creation posts that I'm surprised this topic comes up as much as it does. 

webny99

Obviously I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are some parallels between the circumstances surrounding snowc's disappearance and those surrounding my deleting a bunch of posts (at least several hundred) and removing the content from the OP's of the threads I had started.

Even though I've been around the forum on and off (more on than off, it seems) for nearly five years, I've always regarded it as a short-term relationship for reasons that I don't need to go into detail about here. I've never been diagnosed with anything mental health-related, but suffice to say that the beginning of my time here was a bit turbulent for reasons that went beyond simply not getting along with other users/not knowing anything about forum etiquette.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.