News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

Is this not the project they tried to toll.

Also, that detour, why can't motorists use the 576 East ramp from 79 back to the 576 east to 79 north ramp, there are no tolls, it would be high speed and safer than the listed Southpointe detour

74/171FAN

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 09, 2022, 06:23:31 PM

Also, that detour, why can't motorists use the 576 East ramp from 79 back to the 576 east to 79 north ramp, there are no tolls, it would be high speed and safer than the listed Southpointe detour

This project is actually a project to replace a PA 50 bridge nearby the I-79 interchange.  I do not believe that there is any work on the I-79 mainline in this project whatsoever.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

It is toll-free.  I initially recalled the ramp to 576 being a left-hand merge, but it isn't.  The curvature of the loop ramp to 79 could be a reason, but those are fairly wide radiuses with a 45 MPH posted speed.  Definitely an odd omission.

Another move for traffic traveling north on Washington Pike would be to travel south instead to access the new ramp to 576 from Morganza Rd.  That dumps you right onto the ramp for 79 North.

74/171FAN

Bitmapped

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 10, 2022, 09:36:47 AM

It is toll-free.  I initially recalled the ramp to 576 being a left-hand merge, but it isn't.  The curvature of the loop ramp to 79 could be a reason, but those are fairly wide radiuses with a 45 MPH posted speed.  Definitely an odd omission.

Another move for traffic traveling north on Washington Pike would be to travel south instead to access the new ramp to 576 from Morganza Rd.  That dumps you right onto the ramp for 79 North.

My guess would be that the maintenance of traffic plans were developed before the PA 576 ramps were open.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Quote from: Bitmapped on August 11, 2022, 02:13:33 PM

My guess would be that the maintenance of traffic plans were developed before the PA 576 ramps were open.

I asked PennDOT on Facebook and they said they can only use "state owned" roads for detours.  Guess the Turnpike isn't state-owned (even though it is run by a state agency).

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 12, 2022, 02:56:56 PM

I asked PennDOT on Facebook and they said they can only use "state owned" roads for detours.  Guess the Turnpike isn't state-owned (even though it is run by a state agency).

I was about to post speculating PTC-owned roadway as the potential issue, but you beat me to it confirming!

A few years back I helped develop MOT plans for some short-term closures at the I-95/495/US 1 interchange in College Park MD, and we ran into the same issue while laying out the official detour for the I-95/495 Inner -> US 1 NB loop ramp. The shortest detour would be continuing on I-95/495 & using exit 24 to loop thru the Greenbelt Metro station and return to US 1 on I-95/495 Outer, but we had to post the official detour to exit 23 and loop around at MD 201 since the exit 24 detour would utilize WMATA-owned roadway.

(Visual of that area for anyone trying to picture all that)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Rothman

...or sending people onto a toll road as a detour is really, really, really bad optics.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Rothman on August 12, 2022, 04:51:17 PM

...or sending people onto a toll road as a detour is really, really, really bad optics.

There's no toll on that section

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 24, 2022, 08:52:01 AM
PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 3004 McLaughlin Run Road Roundabout Opens Today in Upper St. Clair

Not sure why they created a right turn only lane for one approach when both have to yield into the roundabout anyway.  Don't they normally make such a turn lane free-flowing and island separated so the yield is beyond the roundabout?

74/171FAN

^Yes normally.  Not sure why that was not done here (at least based on the video).

MASTERNC

On another note, looks like I-79 is fully reopened around the PA 576 interchange, based on the camera views.  The SB climbing lane is now open and the road is 3 lanes through the interchange.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.