News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 31 freeway gap in Michigan finally will be filled (well 1 of them anyway)

Started by Terry Shea, March 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ChimpOnTheWheel

https://www.wsjm.com/2022/09/15/eastbound-i-94-ramp-to-i-196-to-close-sunday/

Ramp from I-94 EB to I-196 NB closing September 18 - September 30.

The official detour is to go I-94 EB -> Exit 41 -> I-94 WB -> I-196 NB. Why that's the detour is beyond me since Exit 39 comes two miles before, and using I-94 straight to US-131 is not that much longer if you're headed up to Grand Rapids.
Just a casual.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ChimpOnTheWheel on September 15, 2022, 07:01:13 PM

The official detour is to go I-94 EB -> Exit 41 -> I-94 WB -> I-196 NB. Why that's the detour is beyond me since Exit 39 comes two miles before, and using I-94 straight to US-131 is not that much longer if you're headed up to Grand Rapids.

State detours can only be routed along state-maintained corridors; they're mainly in place for trucks, to point out suitable truck routes that can serve as adequate alternatives.  DOTs know that car traffic will likely use lower-profile roads as their detour, but they post a detour that everyone, including trucks, can use.  Even though many Interstate interchanges will meet non-state surface roads, the surface road and the interchange ramps will still be maintained by the state right at the interchange.  Thus, MDOT has domain over the side road between the ramp junctions, and they can sign a state detour along that short section of side road at exit 39.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

JREwing78

All they have to do is exit at exit 41, then take M-140 north back to I-196. No need to double-back.

There's (probably) good reason for MDOT to not sign it that way, but that's a better option than the signed detour and it's a truck route.

Terry Shea

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 15, 2022, 10:41:22 PM
All they have to do is exit at exit 41, then take M-140 north back to I-196. No need to double-back.

There's (probably) good reason for MDOT to not sign it that way, but that's a better option than the signed detour and it's a truck route.
It's MDOT, so there probably is no good reason.  If you're on Airport Road @ I-69 north of Lansing, the ramp to WB I-69 is closed.  You would think that the posted detour would be to continue south on Airport Road to Grand River Ave. and follow it to I-96/I-69, especially since that is the posted detour for traffic presently on WB I-69 wishing to exit at WB I-96, since that ramp is also closed.  But instead, the posted detour for WB I-69 sends you down the ramp onto EB I-69 to SB US-127 to WB-I-96 to SB (at that point) I-69.  That detour involves making about a 3/4 circle around Lansing, assuming the driver wants to continue on I-69 south of Lansing, and almost a full circle if they want to exit further north on I-69.  Now, as bad as that sounds, until about a week ago signage was in place on Airport Rd. for WB I-69 traffic to detour onto EB I-69, but there was no signage once you go onto I-69 itself!  I wonder how many people flew into Capital City Airport, went north on Airport Road, took the posted WB I-69 detour via EB I-69, and ended up in Flint or Port Huron...or even Canada because all detour signage on I-69 was non-existent!  They've also made numerous errors on the electronic signage regarding detours in the area citing wrong exit numbers, wrong directions and even wrong freeways!

JREwing78

Ah, NOW it's clear. Didn't realize this was happening:
M-140 bridge in Watervliet reopens today, ahead of schedule
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/09/02/m140-bridge-in-watervliet-reopens-todayKALAMAZOO, Mich. ­- The Michigan Department of Transportation will be wrapping up its $800,000 investment to repair the M-140 bridge over the Paw Paw Lake Outlet near Watervliet in Berrien County almost two months ahead of schedule.
The bridge will be reopened to traffic this afternoon. It originally was scheduled for completion by Oct. 30.

The project included rebuilding the bridge deck and repairing the abutments and piers. There still is some work to complete off the roadway, such as turf establishment and silt fence removal, but nothing that will require lane or bridge closures.

Flint1979

M-140 is closed north of Watervliet until the end of October, it's been like that all summer.

JREwing78

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 17, 2022, 09:57:51 PM

M-140 is closed north of Watervliet until the end of October, it's been like that all summer.

Formerly closed. Now reopened (per the press release in my previous post). So now, you CAN use M-140 to get back to I-196/US-31.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/09/02/m140-bridge-in-watervliet-reopens-today

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 17, 2022, 01:12:33 PM

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/09/02/m140-bridge-in-watervliet-reopens-todayKALAMAZOO, Mich. ­- The Michigan Department of Transportation will be wrapping up its $800,000 investment to repair the M-140 bridge over the Paw Paw Lake Outlet near Watervliet in Berrien County almost two months ahead of schedule.
The bridge will be reopened to traffic this afternoon. It originally was scheduled for completion by Oct. 30.

The project included rebuilding the bridge deck and repairing the abutments and piers. There still is some work to complete off the roadway, such as turf establishment and silt fence removal, but nothing that will require lane or bridge closures.

Ha, went that way this weekend and went around because the road closed and detour signs were still up. How hard is it to take those signs down when the road reopens?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Terry Shea

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 18, 2022, 02:36:48 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on September 17, 2022, 01:12:33 PM

Ha, went that way this weekend and went around because the road closed and detour signs were still up. How hard is it to take those signs down when the road reopens?
See my comments about MDOT signage and such, 5 posts up.

Flint1979

It'd be nice for them to take them down that's why I figured it was still closed when I went through that area last weekend. But anyway they still have construction barrels up on I-75 in Saginaw County and they've been done with that project for about three months now.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 19, 2022, 02:35:11 PM
It'd be nice for them to take them down that's why I figured it was still closed when I went through that area last weekend. But anyway they still have construction barrels up on I-75 in Saginaw County and they've been done with that project for about three months now.
And that bridge they're rebuilding is still going at a snail's pace.

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 20, 2022, 12:02:44 AM
The Parrish Road bridge? I don't know why they are taking so long with that bridge. Now it's saying it'll be closed until next June.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 20, 2022, 07:57:18 AM
The Parrish Road bridge? I don't know why they are taking so long with that bridge. Now it's saying it'll be closed until next June.
At the pace they're going it won't be done before 2035!

roadman65

Quote from: ChimpOnTheWheel on September 15, 2022, 07:01:13 PM

But if your heading to Holland or continuing on US 31, it makes sense.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

MDOT is hosting an event on Monday 09/26 for the public to see the new freeway before it opens to traffic.  The event begins at 3:00pm and participants will have about an hour to walk, run, or bike (nonmotorized) a 2.5 mile loop between Britain Avenue and I-94.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/09/19/walk-run-or-bike-us-31-event-on-sept-26-in-berrien-county

NOAA currently forecasts a high temperature of 65 degrees and a 30% chance of rain.

Terry Shea

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 22, 2022, 10:03:48 PM
MDOT is hosting an event on Monday 09/26 for the public to see the new freeway before it opens to traffic.  The event begins at 3:00pm and participants will have about an hour to walk, run, or bike (nonmotorized) a 2.5 mile loop between Britain Avenue and I-94.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/09/19/walk-run-or-bike-us-31-event-on-sept-26-in-berrien-county

NOAA currently forecasts a high temperature of 65 degrees and a 30% chance of rain.

Will there be a side trip to see the rare butterflies?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 22, 2022, 10:59:21 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 22, 2022, 10:03:48 PM

Will there be a side trip to see the rare butterflies?
Dang it, that would've been fun on my birthday (if only it didn't happen while I am on my trip out in Las Vegas)!

silverback1065

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 21, 2022, 11:16:03 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 20, 2022, 07:57:18 AM
At the pace they're going it won't be done before 2035!
I went past it today. It looks like they are working on it now.

ChimpOnTheWheel

Just a casual.

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia states the US 31 freeway connection with Interstate 94 may be completed by mid-November. Is this accurate, or is this too optimistic? In any event, this connection should have been completed years ago, but now that it is finally being connected, perhaps that is simply neither here nor there.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2022, 12:00:14 PM
Wikipedia states the US 31 freeway connection with Interstate 94 may be completed by mid-November. Is this accurate, or is this too optimistic? In any event, this connection should have been completed years ago, but now that it is finally being connected, perhaps that is simply neither here nor there.

Yes, that's correct, as per this: https://wwmt.com/news/local/new-interchange-between-us-31-and-i-94-coming-to-berrien-county

"MDOT says they're finishing up some final construction work and the interchange should be open to drivers by mid-November."

Terry Shea

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 29, 2022, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2022, 12:00:14 PM

Yes, that's correct, as per this: https://wwmt.com/news/local/new-interchange-between-us-31-and-i-94-coming-to-berrien-county

"MDOT says they're finishing up some final construction work and the interchange should be open to drivers by mid-November."
That's interesting.  A couple of weeks ago they were saying mid-October.

The Ghostbuster

It appears I overlooked the completion date in the article when I read it. I look forward to US 31's long-awaited completion in mid November!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.