News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite poverty symbols!

Started by bandit957, May 31, 2018, 09:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Some people love their status symbols, but I'm just the opposite. In my day, you were allowed to be proud of being poor.

I take pride in my lower economic status. My family members don't always. When I was 8, we went on a family trip, and my mom said she wished she had brung fancy clothes so we could eat at a luxury restaurant and impress its rich patrons. But other than that, society had more tolerance for people flaunting their poverty back then.

I purchased a bike last year that happened to come with a huge scrape on it. I don't purposely scrape up bikes, but I left this scrape alone. Also, the crankshaft was defective, so I ended up with crankshafts that were different colors - which is kind of cool.

Also, having crooked teeth is like what other people would feel about having a high-end convertible. Crooked teeth are really cool. It's probably my best poverty symbol.

This economic pride also manifested itself in my amusement park preferences. I used to prefer the now-defunct Americana amusement park over Kings Island because I felt more at home among its customer base, which was thought to be poorer than that of Kings Island (since admission was much cheaper).

It's called class consciousness. Try it! You'll like it!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

My Grand Parents were hit hard during the Great Depression and basically pinched pennies so hard that they would bleed through the back of their fists.  They were so cheap that they bought a 1982 Chevrolet Chevette brand new in 1982 and hung onto it through the 1990s to the point where they could no longer drive.  I remember they tried to convince me it was still a good car to drive to school and how it would be a waste of money to spend $2,000 on a Pontiac Sun Bird.

Interestingly I recall a conversation where my grandma told my grandpa in the early 2000s that $20 dollars for 70 stations of cable was too expensive.  It turns out when they died that they had a small fortune in stocks and war bonds stashed away in false walls or tin cans.  I don't know if they were "proud" of their poverty status but they sure lived like it until they ended up in grave.

Takumi

Ah, the Chevette. 0-60 time of maybe.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on June 01, 2018, 12:25:10 AM

High 20 second range if not a solid 30.  It would be interesting to see if a Mack Truck could take a Chevette in the quarter mile. 

plain

The way I live life is simple: fuck the Jones's.

Too many people I know try to live their lives like the people they see on tv and social media, to the point where they're losing everything even halfway valuable (not talking monetary either) behind it. In a lot of people's minds nowadays if your not inspiring to live like the elite then what are you living for..

There are more small minded people now more than ever.
Newark born, Richmond bred

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 31, 2018, 11:08:26 PMInterestingly I recall a conversation where my grandma told my grandpa in the early 2000s that $20 dollars for 70 stations of cable was too expensive.  It turns out when they died that they had a small fortune in stocks and war bonds stashed away in false walls or tin cans.  I don't know if they were "proud" of their poverty status but they sure lived like it until they ended up in grave.

They thought they could take it with them.  Many people who lived through the Depression did.

jon daly

My flip phone. But it sends an ambiguous message. Is jon
1. a vintage-style guy,
2. poor,
3. hipster,
4. ironic,
5. debt-ridden, or
6. old?

abefroman329

webny99

Quote from: bandit957 on May 31, 2018, 09:55:41 PM
In my day, you were allowed to be proud of being poor.

Here, you are still allowed. I like to put a paradoxical twist on it and call it "pride in your humility".

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 01, 2018, 11:38:05 AM
7. Amish

The Amish aren't really an impoverished people. They're a prime example of what I mentioned above: very proud of their humility (you could also call it self-righteous, I guess). They live the way they do because of their beliefs, not because they lack means to live otherwise.

inkyatari

I bought a scratched up pair of aerobars for my bicycle off of Ebay..
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

AlexandriaVA

I think consumer goods don't do a good job anymore because everything has gotten cheaper due to foreign trade.

Nowadays I find housing (e.g. location and quality of your housing) and personal health (e.g. obesity, opioids) are better markers

roadman

I do not consider myself poor, as I make a reasonable income.  However, I generally try to get as much life out of major purchases like cellphones, appliances, and cars before replacing them.  My sole exception to this philosophy was with scanners and shortwave radios.  I went through a period of "what's the next "dream" radio I must have".  However, common sense (and financial practicality) finally prevailed and I've settled down in that regard as well.

This "keep it until it's impractical or unreasonable to do so" philosophy is better for the environment as well.

QuoteI think consumer goods don't do a good job anymore because everything has gotten cheaper due to foreign trade.

The problem is not foreign trade.  Rather, it's the fact that - with the exception of cars and some major appliances - most consumer goods are deliberately made with the concept that when they break, you throw them away.  More profit in forcing people to replace products instead of allowing people to repair them when something relatively minor goes wrong.  Just another example of mid-1980s MBA teaching in action.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

A trailer home.

Those in the lap of luxury have a double-wide!

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 31, 2018, 11:08:26 PM
Interestingly I recall a conversation where my grandma told my grandpa in the early 2000s that $20 dollars for 70 stations of cable was too expensive.  It turns out when they died that they had a small fortune in stocks and war bonds stashed away in false walls or tin cans.  I don't know if they were "proud" of their poverty status but they sure lived like it until they ended up in grave.

That was a staple of people of that generation.  The stories about saving Cool Whip containers and the like for saving leftovers was very much the way of life of that generation.  Tupperware was a huge expense for many.  The generation has mostly passed on by now, so those stories are now jokes.  But they were great penny pinchers.

Sadly, what's happened in many cases is the heritance have been passed on, and the money spent foolishly.

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 01, 2018, 12:01:20 PM

That was a staple of people of that generation.  The stories about saving Cool Whip containers and the like for saving leftovers was very much the way of life of that generation.  Tupperware was a huge expense for many.  The generation has mostly passed on by now, so those stories are now jokes.  But they were great penny pinchers.

Sadly, what's happened in many cases is the heritance have been passed on, and the money spent foolishly.

My mom used Cool Whip and assorted other containers (sour cream, cottage cheese, etc) for years. Later, she did use Tupperware since she got a dealer's discount, though mostly for freezing vegetables from the garden. I lean towards freezer bags and Cool Whip containers, myself. My sister wound up with most of the "good" Tupperware after mom passed away (we split the stash, but she took her half out of the middle). Most of what I had went to Goodwill a few weeks ago since I hadn't touched most of it in 3 years.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman on June 01, 2018, 12:00:46 PM
I do not consider myself poor, as I make a reasonable income.  However, I generally try to get as much life out of major purchases like cellphones, appliances, and cars before replacing them.  My sole exception to this philosophy was with scanners and shortwave radios.  I went through a period of "what's the next "dream" radio I must have".  However, common sense (and financial practicality) finally prevailed and I've settled down in that regard as well.

This "keep it until it's impractical or unreasonable to do so" philosophy is better for the environment as well.

My wife is better at using things until they break than I am.  I usually like to upgrade my cell phone as soon as my carrier allows me to, but I'm usually able to sell the "old" one for $150 or so on eBay, so it's hard not to.

A lot of the items we've bought for the coming baby are used, which I'm feeling ambivalent about.

Quote from: roadman on June 01, 2018, 12:00:46 PMThe problem is not foreign trade.  Rather, it's the fact that - with the exception of cars and some major appliances - most consumer goods are deliberately made with the concept that when they break, you throw them away.  More profit in forcing people to replace products instead of allowing people to repair them when something relatively minor goes wrong.  Just another example of mid-1980s MBA teaching in action.

Precisely.  I'm almost 40 and I've never had a television repaired by a television repairman.  Or a stereo repaired by a stereo repairman.  Even laptop computers are much more difficult for amateurs to repair or upgrade than they were 20 years ago.

roadman

One side benefit of keeping my cellphone until it breaks (normally five to six years on average) is that I usually have accumulated enough upgrade points by then that I get the new phone for free.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

Quote from: jon daly on June 01, 2018, 11:21:50 AM
My flip phone. But it sends an ambiguous message. Is jon
1. a vintage-style guy,
2. poor,
3. hipster,
4. ironic,
5. debt-ridden, or
6. old?

I have a flip phone too.  I don't care what message it sends to other people (I'd bet on 6), but to me it's water and shock resistant, has good battery life and decent reception in rural areas, and is likely to be usable if I need to call for help when I'm out hiking somewhere.

hotdogPi

Why can't current phones use GPS signals if they don't receive cell service?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kkt

Quote from: 1 on June 01, 2018, 01:23:55 PM

GPS is a one-way location service, measuring exact distance to each of several satellites and calculating location and altitude from that.

When traveling to areas where there's no cell service, there are satellite phones that one can buy or rent.  They send 2-way signals direct to satellites, so as long as there's visible sky you can probably get service.  Last time I checked they're still pretty expensive though.

plain

I may not use a flip phone anymore but I'm certainly not about to get a contract just so I can have the latest fanciest phone every single year. I'm fine with prepaid. It does everything I need it to do (including post pics with ease on this forum) and more, all for 45 bucks a month lmao.

This one probably sounds silly: I have a microwave but rarely use it, I usually use my toaster oven instead. Everything just taste better reheated in that.

I drive a '96 Grand Prix (which has a rebuilt or new almost everything) and a 2000 Chevy pickup. The Grand Prix is my road trip car, but for extra long distances I usually just rent a car, I don't do car notes (never got a car from a lot in my life).

As for cable, I gave it up several years ago when "basic" cable became nothing more than local channels, news channels and the weather channel smdh. Nowadays I have firesticks that I've "broken"... shhhhh....   ;-)
Newark born, Richmond bred

abefroman329

I'm coming around to them as it relates to heating liquids, but I really don't care for microwaves, either.  I'd rather heat, say, a Stouffer's mac and cheese in an oven for 30 minutes than a microwave oven for 5.

My "cable" package consists of the over-the-air channels only.  Everything else, I stream through various services.

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on June 01, 2018, 01:23:55 PM
because A-GPS relies on information sent from a server. That is an almanac transmitted from the satellite, which can be acquired by a phone as well. However that requires, if I remember correctly, 40 seconds of uninterrupted reception, and often requires a few attempts to get it in full. Almanac contains latest orbit information for satellites, and that data is essential for calculations.
Alternative is to download almanac from the server before getting to no-data area. I am using app called "GPS Status & Toolbox", go to "manage A-GPS menu";  there are many more similar apps. Downloaded data is very good for a few hours and still good for 24 hours, I believe.  I believe (not sure) simply starting a navigational app while in wifi coverage should do the same thing.

MikeTheActuary

My first car was a Chevette.

Its 0-60 rating was "yes (if the A/C isn't running)"....or was it "yes (downhill)"?

I was able to get a speeding ticket tossed out by pointing out that I was driving a Chevette.  :)

roadman

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 01, 2018, 03:00:39 PM
I'm coming around to them as it relates to heating liquids, but I really don't care for microwaves, either.  I'd rather heat, say, a Stouffer's mac and cheese in an oven for 30 minutes than a microwave oven for 5.

Agree with you about microwaves.  My parents got one in the mid-1970s, and I never used it for anything but heating up liquids and, occasionally, cold pizza.  The fact that the first (and only) time I tried to cook hot dogs in it resulted in food that had the consistency of rubber (despite taking the proper precautions beforehand), may have had a lot to do with it.  I still have my parent's original microwave (part of me is amazed it still works), but I'm thinking of ditching it for a smaller (and much lighter) unit.
QuoteMy "cable" package consists of the over-the-air channels only.  Everything else, I stream through various services.

Regarding cable, I've always had the "basic" tier - i.e. one level above just broadcast channels.  However, now that I have a smart TV (my 2003 analog set finally died in February), and given a) how truly awful most of the "basic" channels have become and b) how the provider is increasingly moving channels to a higher tier or discarding them altogether (like changing H2 to the "sin and prostitution" channel Vice), at this point I am seriously considering ditching cable all together.  Can use a digital antenna for broadcast channels, and can stream most everything else I would care to watch off the Internet.

jon daly

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 01, 2018, 05:37:43 PM

My first car was a Chevette.

Its 0-60 rating was "yes (if the A/C isn't running)"....or was it "yes (downhill)"?

I was able to get a speeding ticket tossed out by pointing out that I was driving a Chevette.  :)

My mom had one at one point. I could get it going pretty fast on I-84.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.