This date in history...

Started by hbelkins, June 22, 2020, 03:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

On this date six years ago (6/22/14), the Alanland thread got locked.

Let us lament and not lament its passing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

renegade

It can stay locked.  This thread should be, too.   :popcorn:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on June 22, 2020, 03:12:34 PM

Is that legally permitted?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Did someone say Goat Jesus? 

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2020, 03:33:13 PM

This ... just ... keeps making me smile.  It takes religion, politics, non-traffic VMS notices, and Ala.nland–and rolls it all up into one nice little inoffensive package.

A part of me wants to call it sacrilegious, but then I remember how everyone always says "God has a sense of humor".  Well, if that's true, then there's NO WAY wouldn't be laughing at that sign.

:clap:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Has it been and not been that long already?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on June 22, 2020, 04:47:02 PM

Yes but, on the other hand, it has officially been that long already.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 04:48:26 PM

Yes but, on the other hand, it has officially been that long already.

Don't forget, it has also been unofficially that long as well. 

Roadgeekteen

We should unlock it, as there was no harm in keeping it around. I will say that we are better about not bringing up Alanland too much than a couple of years ago.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 04:12:42 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2020, 03:33:13 PM

This ... just ... keeps making me smile.  It takes religion, politics, non-traffic VMS notices, and Ala.nland–and rolls it all up into one nice little inoffensive package.

A part of me wants to call it sacrilegious, but then I remember how everyone always says "God has a sense of humor".  Well, if that's true, then there's NO WAY wouldn't be laughing at that sign.

:clap:

I just wonder what the Grand Alan ordered for lockdown restrictions?   Maybe can someone can enlighten us?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: renegade on June 22, 2020, 03:17:01 PM
It can stay locked.  This thread should be, too.   :popcorn:
Why do I always imagine you has some grumpy old man? (no offense)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

It takes religion, politics, non-traffic VMS notices, and Ala.nland–and rolls it all up ...

Not to mention history and current events.

I respectfully disagree. That particular aspect of Ala.nland has always been one that I have tremendous disdain for, and if I ever were to stop coming to this forum, that would certainly be among the reasons why.

Hwy 61 Revisited

There are 1,999 posts in the thread, but #1998 and #1999 claim to be the 2,000th.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

webny99

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 22, 2020, 08:50:51 PM
There are 1,999 posts in the thread, but #1998 and #1999 claim to be the 2,000th.

Somebody must have deleted a post. Probably the person that claimed it the second time deleted one of their own posts to bring it back down to 1999, and then someone has deleted a post since. You can delete posts even from locked threads.

hotdogPi

Reply #1998 was post #2000 at the time. Reply #1999 was reply #2000 at the time. (Note the difference between post and reply.) The deletion came later.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2020, 09:01:19 PM
Reply #1998 was post #2000 at the time. Reply #1999 was reply #2000 at the time. (Note the difference between post and reply.) The deletion came later.

Ah, I see.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

CNGL-Leudimin

I prefer to remember 2014/6/22 as the date I was able to [redacted due to inappropiatedness, so don't ask].
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 03:21:40 PM

Is it legally permitted to be in the left lane when you are and are not passing?  :-o
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

hbelkins

I was reminded in a Facebook memory. It honestly doesn't seem like it's been that long.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 23, 2020, 11:00:54 AM

Is it legally permitted to be in the left lane when you are and are not passing?  :-o

Yes, it was proclaimed by the Eighth Grand Alan. However, there was no 8th Grand Alan.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 22, 2020, 08:36:37 PM

I respectfully disagree. That particular aspect of Ala.nland has always been one that I have tremendous disdain for, and if I ever were to stop coming to this forum, that would certainly be among the reasons why.

Yeah, as soon as I typed that, I realized it might not be true.  OTOH, I do think we religious people can take the little things in life way too seriously sometimes.

Quote from: formulanone on June 23, 2020, 11:11:33 AM

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 23, 2020, 11:00:54 AM

Yes, it was proclaimed by the Eighth Grand Alan. However, there was no 8th Grand Alan.

Umm.  No.  It was proclaimed by the 8th Grand Alan.  There was no Eighth Grand Alan.  This was discussed in quite some detail in Bachrach's seminal history[1] of the Alans.

The short explanation is that the 7rd Grand Alan was given a manuscript of a text originally written by Cardinal Alan Banastre[2] in the late 12th Century (13th Alanary), in which was found the following statement:

Quote from: Capras et putri, Cardinal Alan Banastre, ca. 1170, 2.144
Septem numere, si au numerele i eget velit congue vandenilis.[3]

Due to dialectical differences[4] between medieval and modern Alantin, the 7rd Grand Alan misinterpreted the text to be a dogmatic interdict barring the use of ordinal numbers, spelled out in full, for civil titles unless specifically approved by the Council of Alans[5].  He subsequently issued the Dukes and Alans Edict[6] (also known as the Alan Dukes Edict), which included an amendment declaring his successor to be known only as the 8th Grand Alan and not as the Eighth Grand Alan.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.