News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Property Address Re-numbering in Florida?

Started by NJRoadfan, March 23, 2017, 10:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Whats the deal with this. I was trying to locate a friend in Florida and it looks like their neighborhood received completely new property addresses sometime between 2011 and 2014. The new numbers are completely different from the old ones and even have an added digit. This seems pretty bizarre to do and not a common thing, but I have encountered it in multiple counties in Florida (Martin County and Pasco County). What triggers such an event? Seems like its a headache for homeowners, the county clerk's office (property records), and the post office. An example is at the link below, the mailbox shows the "new" 4 digit address but also still has the "old" 3 digit address on it!

https://goo.gl/maps/8pkPnDNrKe72

jwolfer

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 23, 2017, 10:26:21 PM
Whats the deal with this. I was trying to locate a friend in Florida and it looks like their neighborhood received completely new property addresses sometime between 2011 and 2014. The new numbers are completely different from the old ones and even have an added digit. This seems pretty bizarre to do and not a common thing, but I have encountered it in multiple counties in Florida (Martin County and Pasco County). What triggers such an event? Seems like its a headache for homeowners, the county clerk's office (property records), and the post office. An example is at the link below, the mailbox shows the "new" 4 digit address but also still has the "old" 3 digit address on it!

https://goo.gl/maps/8pkPnDNrKe72
Probably part of 911 address upgrades or putting all the addresses in a grid with a common 0 point. Jacksonville/Duval County has addrrsses starting in downtown Jacksonville. 

Clay County where i live has no rhyme nor reason. One street will have adresses in the 1xx range next street 29xx range.

Nassau County and Lake County seem to have adrrsses based on some kind of zoning and they are 5 or 6 digits. All the adresses in one area start with same prefix. Near Callahan the adreses are all 45xxxx.

I have looked for some sort of key online but have not been able to find one

LGMS428

Bitmapped

WV has been doing this over the past decade to replace rural routes with city-style addresses. At least in rural areas, the addresses are set so 1000 = 1 mile so you can figure out distances by the address.

SP Cook

The WV program was mostly funded by the phone companies out of the 911 tax.  It was not without a lot of complaints.    Lots of people resented having to change all their bills, ID, and so on without actually moving.  And a lot of places had a street address like deal anyway, because housing developments or trailer parks would just number the lots, so you could live at 123  Sunnyvale Road or such.  The system overrode that and overrode a lot of local names for places, often because they repeated or conflicted with others and spat out the most plain vanilla 1950s suburban street names.

I had a friend that lived on something like Doc Kelsey Branch and then suddenly found out she live on Sugar Maple Avenue. 

NJRoadfan

Thing is, these areas are far from rural, and they already had full map-able street addresses unlike the rural routes.

jwolfer

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 06, 2017, 10:20:24 PM
Thing is, these areas are far from rural, and they already had full map-able street addresses unlike the rural routes.
A lot of suburban areas were rural until recently. Until a few years ago my parents suburban development had bulk mail adressed to " postal customer rural route xx"

Probably just making the whole county on one grid or system

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.