News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SR-99 Cutterhead

Started by KEK Inc., November 28, 2012, 05:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

Looks like a spaceship!

Take the road less traveled.

xonhulu

roadfro

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

corco

That would be Washington State putting Japan to work by letting a Japanese company build in Japan the custom cutterhead that will drill the new 99 tunnel through Seattle.

Alps

Quote from: corco on November 30, 2012, 03:52:13 PM
That would be Washington State putting Japan to work by letting a Japanese company build in Japan the custom cutterhead that will drill the new 99 tunnel through Seattle.
Because American companies didn't have the capability to build it. Since my firm is involved with the project, I have been keeping tabs on it, and that was one thing - projects of such a large scale, such as an unprecedent tunnel size, end up having a global reach. If this were to become more commonplace, you would see American firms on the job in the future.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: english si on November 30, 2012, 06:54:21 AM
This thread is boring

Harr harr.

@roadfro:  It's the front of the boring machine that bores tunnels.  There's a model of one in the Mechanical Engineering Building at UW.

Here's an older one from the 20th century.

More modern ones are designed to build the plates on the tunnel wall as it bores.
Take the road less traveled.

Brandon

Quote from: english si on November 30, 2012, 06:54:21 AM
This thread is boring

You should be cored for that.  It wasn't gneiss.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dougtone

Now there's a video that explains the tunnel boring process for the Alaskan Way in Seattle.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/09/this-is-how-a-tunnel-boring-machine-will-burrow-a-viaduct-under/

Alps

Oh, by the way, @BerthaDigsSR99 on Twitter.

I have to say, Bertha is by far a technological wonder. Not only does it drill the tunnel for SR 99, but it lays the tunnel wall in place at the exact same time! I saw the cutterhead when travelling north on SR 99 yesterday and I was amazed at what I saw (the view from SR 99 is actually quite good when it comes to seeing the cutterhead). I hope they save this part of Bertha for MOHAI when they are done using it.

Alps

Quote from: 707 on April 13, 2013, 11:37:11 PM
I have to say, Bertha is by far a technological wonder. Not only does it drill the tunnel for SR 99, but it lays the tunnel wall in place at the exact same time! I saw the cutterhead when travelling north on SR 99 yesterday and I was amazed at what I saw (the view from SR 99 is actually quite good when it comes to seeing the cutterhead). I hope they save this part of Bertha for MOHAI when they are done using it.
Any idea when they start cutting? I have a feeling Bertha will be underground just before I get there, just to spite me.

Quote from: Steve on April 14, 2013, 07:02:17 AM
Quote from: 707 on April 13, 2013, 11:37:11 PM
Any idea when they start cutting? I have a feeling Bertha will be underground just before I get there, just to spite me.

I heard drilling will begin around July, so hopefully that's enough time for you to come and see it. By that point in time, I'll be living in Tucson and unfortunately will miss seeing the drill start operations.  :banghead:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on April 14, 2013, 07:02:17 AM

A colleague of mine has a meeting in Seattle this week and gets a tour of what's happening there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.