News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: 🛣 Headlines About Californ...
Last post by cahwyguy - Today at 07:57:26 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 02:41:57 AMI thought they couldn't widen roads anymore in California because of the VMT crap.

You're thinking Caltrans. The Old Road is either county or city of Santa Clarita.
Northeast / Re: Connecticut News
Last post by RobbieL2415 - Today at 07:40:17 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again, the better long-term plan would have been to relocate CT 9 around the center of Portland. That gives Middletown back 100% of its waterfront access and eliminates all choke points.
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by RobbieL2415 - Today at 07:38:15 AM
Quote from: shadyjay on May 01, 2024, 04:02:55 PMHaving control cities on a beltway is kind of tricky.  The signs from the Mass Pike to I-95/128 in Newton did used to say "POINTS NORTH" and "SOUTH SHORE".  Honestly, it made sense.  I-95/128 controls have been Braintree, Dedham, Waltham, Peabody, Gloucester.  Braintree was mostly phased out in favor of Boston, which may make sense from an interstate standpoint, but that's not necessarily where everyone's going.  "Mass Pike Points West" signs didn't even have I-90 shields way back when, so that was more of your directional.

Then there's the signs modified for a sense of consistency between directions.  Like the ones heading east on the pike for I-84 that say "Hartford/NY City".  Noone in their right mind would be going east and looking for NY City.  But because the westbound signs say that, they were changed.  Same goes for heading west on the pike and getting off at I-495, where "Portsmouth NH" is used.  Would'nt Lowell make more sense?

Heck, we could discuss control city follies until the cows come home, but, heck, that would just be "udder"ly ridiculous. 
 :)  :)  :)

If I get on the Pike from MA 32 in Palmer, that's right in between I-91 and I-84. If I decide to use I-84 to head back west on I-84 to reach my destination, what should the control cities be? My answer would be Hartford at the very least.
Traffic Control / Re: Guess the Special Route Ch...
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 07:35:11 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on May 01, 2024, 08:36:44 PMUS 340 Business in Page County?

Nope.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: I-70/71 Columbus Crossroad...
Last post by jt4 - Today at 07:25:53 AM
Quote from: TempoNick on April 29, 2024, 12:49:18 AMI was driving through there today and I'm still shaking my head at everything that's being built over there. Don't get me wrong, the work is impressive, but I'm wondering if a better and less complicated solution wouldn't have been to:

1. Leave everything as is along the split, with minor improvements.

2. Divert traffic from I-70 westbound at James Road to Ohio 104 as was suggested once as sort of an express lane for I-70 thru traffic. It would also eliminate having to drive all the curves along existing I-70.

3. Existing I-70 West of James to get another number. (I know ODOT talked about downgrading it to a boulevard, but that sounded stupid to me.)

4. I-71 routed along I-670 and 315 without multiplexing with I-70.

It seems like this would have solved multiple problems without all the complexity of this project. I know other problems would be created, but there are some spots along I-670 that were never right, particularly the ramps around Neil and Goodale.

Rerouting I-70 to bypass downtown seems reasonable, but rerouting to eliminate curves in the current route doesn't make sense because the curve to move from James to OH-104 would be significantly more than any curve in the current route.
Off-Topic / Re: Dead Malls
Last post by Flint1979 - Today at 07:07:08 AM
I just heard that Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights, Michigan is permanently closing on July 1, 2024. This one comes as somewhat of a surprise considering the area around Lakeside isn't doing too bad. The mall has lost a lot of tenants over the years but I wasn't aware that the mall was in danger of permanently closing.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by formulanone - Today at 06:57:44 AM
Alabama 24 in Decatur:

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by ITB - Today at 05:39:28 AM

Nice summary of the $2.8 billion Ohio is pumping into infrastructure projects this year, including a list and links to some of the major projects.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Nevada
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 05:15:50 AM
Not to get too political, but Nevada also is a term limits state, so I think legislators have little incentive to think long term.   
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 05:11:13 AM
Celtics exorcise the ghosts of last year and beat the Heat in 5.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.