News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

With the Chargers win tonight, it is very important that beat that we beat the Cardinals tomorrow to stay alive in the playoff race.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 12, 2022, 01:53:02 AM
With the Chargers win tonight, it is very important that beat that we beat the Cardinals tomorrow to stay alive in the playoff race.

I think the Pats can beat the Cardinals tonight. They'll have to. Their remaining schedule (Raiders, Bengals, Dolphins, and Bills) is brutal (at least the last three are). 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jgb191 on December 12, 2022, 01:09:47 AM
Very tough pill to swallow.... :(

Today makes the sixth (6th) time this season the Texans blew a fourth quarter lead that has to be the NFL record most blown leads in a single season.  I'm suspecting something very fishy going on here....I wonder if the NFL is paying Lovie to sabotage my team like that.  Just painful heartbreaking to watch another choke-job in that final minute.

I was really hoping that the Texans would win a couple games down the stretch and move that #1 draft pick up north.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

gr8daynegb

Quote from: thspfc on December 11, 2022, 04:39:44 PM
It would have been nice for Dallas to wake up before the last five minutes of the 4th quarter, but a characteristic of a good team is being able to win a close game even on a day when they didn't play their best. The recent alternation of excellent performances (Bears, Vikings, Colts) and shaky ones (Lions, Packers, Giants, Texans) makes me question the team's leadership, specifically McCarthy. Great coaches have their team ready to go from the kickoff every week, and that has not been the case. Dak has thrown 7 picks in his last 5 games. All that has to be fixed come the playoffs.

Giants 💀

McCarthy isn't blameless, but I'm looking more at the player leadership......mostly Dak.  This issue with the Cowboys predates his McCarthy's hiring where they play down to teams and the Cowboys have had the same core of start players in both McCarthy and Garretts tenure.  As a Packers fans watching our former coach it appears that McCarthy this season appears to finally be making adjustments that he never made in GB(feels weird seeing a run pass balance).  But watching Dak for games like yesterday it felt he was going through the motions.  If the Texans didn't self-implode (especially on 4th down in the 4th quarter) they would have for all purposes eliminated themselves from competing for the division.  Will make for an interesting playoffs with them as Superbowl or bust are both very possible.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Quote from: jgb191 on December 12, 2022, 01:09:47 AM
Very tough pill to swallow.... :(

Today makes the sixth (6th) time this season the Texans blew a fourth quarter lead that has to be the NFL record most blown leads in a single season.  I'm suspecting something very fishy going on here....I wonder if the NFL is paying Lovie to sabotage my team like that.  Just painful heartbreaking to watch another choke-job in that final minute.

I actually do give some credit to the Cowboys because previous Cowboys teams (think 2019) probably would've blown that game. Yes, the Texans did self-implode somewhat, but as a Texans fan I think I would feel way worse about the Browns loss. Could've had that one if not for allowing a brutal 21 of Cleveland's 27 points on defense and special teams, plus that was a home game and would have been a really cool moment to get off the schneid against Watson and end the Browns playoff hopes. I was rooting for it, but it didn't happen so at this point you might as well just coast to the #1 overall pick.

jgb191

I'll say this:  my Texans were indeed figuratively playing with house money and the weight of tons of bricks were on the home team (and the house nearly crumbled), which just shows that the Cowboys can't live up to their cult-followers' egos.  Even so, this was a winnable game that the Texans choked away.  If David Culley were still our coach, Texans would have taken the game.  But just seems like Lovie is trying to do his best to keep the air out of our team.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 09, 2022, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 09, 2022, 02:28:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 08, 2022, 12:31:43 PM
Like what?

Probably tweaking the line so they can dupe more rubes into getting addicted to gambling.  First hit is free; next one's gonna cost ya.

I know thspfc told me not to bother... but you literally think the house is willing to take a loss, not only to first timers, but also to sharks, just to get $20 from the soon-to-be second-timers?

Eh looks like it was all me talking out my ass.  The entire premise that the Lions suck and were going to get steamrolled by a first place team was flawed, as shown on Sunday.  So whoops.  Guess I'll have my crow with a nice glass of STFU. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on December 12, 2022, 11:48:46 AM
which just shows that the Cowboys can't live up to their cult-followers' egos.
If your favorite sports team being good feeds your personal ego, you have a problem.

skluth

Quote from: gr8daynegb on December 12, 2022, 08:36:16 AM
It would have been nice for Dallas to wake up before the last five minutes of the 4th quarter, but a characteristic of a good team is being able to win a close game even on a day when they didn't play their best. The recent alternation of excellent performances (Bears, Vikings, Colts) and shaky ones (Lions, Packers, Giants, Texans) makes me question the team's leadership, specifically McCarthy. Great coaches have their team ready to go from the kickoff every week, and that has not been the case. Dak has thrown 7 picks in his last 5 games. All that has to be fixed come the playoffs.

Giants 💀

McCarthy isn't blameless, but I'm looking more at the player leadership......mostly Dak.  This issue with the Cowboys predates his McCarthy's hiring where they play down to teams and the Cowboys have had the same core of start players in both McCarthy and Garretts tenure.  As a Packers fans watching our former coach it appears that McCarthy this season appears to finally be making adjustments that he never made in GB(feels weird seeing a run pass balance).  But watching Dak for games like yesterday it felt he was going through the motions.  If the Texans didn't self-implode (especially on 4th down in the 4th quarter) they would have for all purposes eliminated themselves from competing for the division.  Will make for an interesting playoffs with them as Superbowl or bust are both very possible.

McCarthy's other problem is his teams are penalty prone. This was a problem with the Packers, especially on special teams; the Packers ST and penalty issues have continued under MLF. I don't follow the Cowboys enough to know if penalties were a problem before but McCarthy's Cowboys have continued that tradition of stupid penalties and are currently #2 in penalties behind the Broncos.

jgb191

Quote from: thspfc on December 12, 2022, 04:07:43 PM
If your favorite sports team being good feeds your personal ego, you have a problem.

Exactly, and that's only half the story.  Then they (along with 90 percent of other NFL followers) downplay every other team's win over the Texans.  It seems like all the opponents that beat us get downplayed as if our team doesn't exist, but when we lost to the Cowboys, their fans completely rubbed it in us after the game.

Case in point:  When the Eagles beat my Texans by "only" twelve points last month, all the Cowboys fans around here were laughing at the Eagles; but yesterday after the 27-23 nailbiter those same Cowboys fans insisted on getting credit.

Something else I'd like to add:  before Sunday's game everybody kept telling me,
"Any high school team could easily crush your Texans"
.  After the game they all said: "Well, the Cowboys found a way to win!"

The one glaring downside of living in Texas is hearing it from them every single NFL season.  Whatever fits their narrative I guess.  The most obnoxious and fickle fans ever.

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on December 13, 2022, 01:09:34 AM
Quote from: thspfc on December 12, 2022, 04:07:43 PM

Exactly, and that's only half the story.  Then they (along with 90 percent of other NFL followers) downplay every other team's win over the Texans.  It seems like all the opponents that beat us get downplayed as if our team doesn't exist, but when we lost to the Cowboys, their fans completely rubbed it in us after the game.

Case in point:  When the Eagles beat my Texans by "only" twelve points last month, all the Cowboys fans around here were laughing at the Eagles; but yesterday after the 27-23 nailbiter those same Cowboys fans insisted on getting credit.
My mileage varies.

QuoteSomething else I'd like to add:  before Sunday's game everybody kept telling me,
"Any high school team could easily crush your Texans"
There's your issue, you're probably listening to people who spout nonsense whether they're talking about football or not. Every fanbase has those people.

The one glaring downside of living in Texas is hearing it from them every single NFL season.  Whatever fits their narrative I guess.  The most obnoxious and fickle fans ever.
Browns fans?

gr8daynegb

Quote from: skluth on December 12, 2022, 05:54:26 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on December 12, 2022, 08:36:16 AM

Giants 💀

McCarthy's other problem is his teams are penalty prone. This was a problem with the Packers, especially on special teams; the Packers ST and penalty issues have continued under MLF. I don't follow the Cowboys enough to know if penalties were a problem before but McCarthy's Cowboys have continued that tradition of stupid penalties and are currently #2 in penalties behind the Broncos.

Packers had bad special teams play more often than not during his term here. Penalties for most of his teams here wasn't a problem.  McCarthy's main issue in Green Bay was his in-game adjustments stunk to were non-existent, to the point his relationship with Rodgers(despite the hug for Packers vs Cowboys game this season) was getting toxic.

jgb191

Quote from: thspfc on December 13, 2022, 07:53:18 AM
Browns fans?

I've never heard of a Browns fan proclaim their team as "America's Team" (there is no such thing by the way).  I've also never heard any of them still celebrating 1996 like they do every year.

Cowboys fans hound me every year:  "We're the five-time Super Bowl Champions!  You're team has none!".  I've been hoping that after a quarter-century since their last Super Bowl title that they would have settled down a bit but no.

Roadgeekteen

Nice to get a Monday Night win, although it was ugly.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

gr8daynegb

Quote from: jgb191 on December 13, 2022, 11:54:11 PM
Browns fans?

I've never heard of a Browns fan proclaim their team as "America's Team" (there is no such thing by the way).  I've also never heard any of them still celebrating 1996 like they do every year.

Cowboys fans hound me every year:  "We're the five-time Super Bowl Champions!  You're team has none!".  I've been hoping that after a quarter-century since their last Super Bowl title that they would have settled down a bit but no.

When I hear that I start think Packers(13), Bears(9), Giants(8), Patriots(6), and Steelers(6) fans are like "How cute, here are all our championships"

Big John

Thanks to Modell, there were no 1996 Browns.

Big John

Quote from: gr8daynegb on December 14, 2022, 08:26:23 AM
Browns fans?

When I hear that I start think Packers(13), Bears(9), Giants(8), Patriots(6), and Steelers(6) fans are like "How cute, here are all our championships"
According to Cowboy and Steeler fans, te pre-merger days (pre-1970) don't count.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Big John on December 14, 2022, 08:56:14 AM
According to Cowboy and Steeler fans, te pre-merger days (pre-1970) don't count.

They can be wrong if they want to. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Championships aren't as prestigious when there were fewer teams in existence, and I say this as a Red Sox fan where quite a lot of their wins were 1918 or earlier. That's not to say their value is zero, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on December 14, 2022, 09:17:59 AM
Championships aren't as prestigious when there were fewer teams in existence, and I say this as a Red Sox fan where quite a lot of their wins were 1918 or earlier. That's not to say their value is zero, though.

Would be a fun exercise to assign point values to championships equal to the number of other teams in the league that season. Current championships worth 32, decreasing back to the older championships being worth 11.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

gr8daynegb

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 14, 2022, 09:58:04 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 14, 2022, 09:17:59 AM

Would be a fun exercise to assign point values to championships equal to the number of other teams in the league that season. Current championships worth 32, decreasing back to the older championships being worth 11.

Curious how other sports would react if we used like let's say for baseball anything pre-Jackie Robinson didn't count.

thspfc

Browns fans?

My mileage varies.

thspfc

The offensive player of the week award has officially descended to meme status with Baker, who did next to nothing all night aside from one nice touchdown throw, winning it over Justin Jefferson (11 catches/223 yards) and Goof (27/39, 330 yards, 3 TDs no picks)

webny99

FiveThirtyEight on the prospect of the entire NFC East making the playoffs being very much alive entering Week 15: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-entire-nfc-east-can-make-the-playoffs/

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 15, 2022, 11:08:39 AM
FiveThirtyEight on the prospect of the entire NFC East making the playoffs being very much alive entering Week 15: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-entire-nfc-east-can-make-the-playoffs/
If it does happen, I better not hear people complaining about the amount of nationally televised NFCE games until another division does it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.