News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ConnDOT highway photologs online

Started by kurumi, September 03, 2009, 11:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Similar to the Google Van for Street View, the Connecticut DOT has two vans mounted with cameras and distance-measuring equipment, to capture a full photolog of every state-maintained road. The interval between photos is 4, 5, or 10 meters depending on what's needed. They've been doing this since 1973.

What's cool is that they've started putting these logs (the forward-facing photos) online, in streaming video.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1617&q=439946

The quality's better than Street View, but you can't rotate the POV. There are "file markers" in each video so you can jump to a point of interest.

The route selector lists all signed routes, but many of them aren't linked up yet; selecting them and pressing "Go" has no effect. Currently, photologs are online for all US routes and interstates, as well as state routes 2 through 73. Do a "view source" on the page to see what's available.

One of the benefits ConnDOT cites for the logs is being able to review a location without driving out to it. That helps for us too; we can find out definitively how the north end of CT 71A is signed (not at all), or where the signs for Truck CT 22 are posted (some on US 5 NB near CT 40).

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

agentsteel53

so when do we get to see the 1973 film?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

wytout

QuoteOne of the benefits ConnDOT cites for the logs is being able to review a location without driving out to it. That helps for us too; we can find out definitively how the north end of CT 71A is signed (not at all)

You know, Scott, I've always wondered why ConnDOT is so afraid of using the "END" or "BEGIN" auxiliary markers.  They just don't seem to exist in this state.
-Chris

froggie

A few other states do something similar.  I believe Washington State also posts theirs online.  MnDOT has done this sort of thing for years, but it's only available via their intranet...it's not on the WWW.

But the public can still view it at the MnDOT Library...

HalifaxTravaler

Hey,thanks for putting that up, as i have been looking for info and photos  of I 395 S in CT
i hadn't been able to find much info now the whold length of it is there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.