News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Rothman on April 19, 2024, 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: crispy93 on April 19, 2024, 08:55:26 AMLooks like NYC will soon be able to lower its default speed limit (again) to 20 mph this time: https://archive.is/v6Gax

Meh.  25 mph was a good one.  If enforcement isn't cutting it now, it certainly won't at 20.
Is there even an objective, factual basis for this?

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 19, 2024, 01:09:31 PM
Quote from: crispy93 on April 19, 2024, 08:55:26 AMLooks like NYC will soon be able to lower its default speed limit (again) to 20 mph this time: https://archive.is/v6Gax

Meh.  25 mph was a good one.  If enforcement isn't cutting it now, it certainly won't at 20.
Is there even an objective, factual basis for this?

For lowering the speed limit?

Let's just say requests for speed limit reductions on State-owned roads come in regularly to NYSDOT and are regularly rejected for not being warranted...

Whether the City has an engineering-based check on people who just think lower speed limits are a panacea...I don't know...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

I guess the people calling for this are forgetting that we have cars so we can go faster than horses and buggies. That and not having to leave horse or other animal shit on the streets. Are they seriously trying to bring us back to 19th Century speed limits?

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 19, 2024, 09:16:30 PM

I guess the people calling for this are forgetting that we have cars so we can go faster than horses and buggies. That and not having to leave horse or other animal shit on the streets. Are they seriously trying to bring us back to 19th Century speed limits?

I don't know.  I know some people floor it and then smash their brakes when lights turn on Manhattan -- and then subsequently must get brake work done every six months -- but, 25 mph is a good NY speed limit in my experience.  Sure, you can hit 35 or so, but any faster than that, you become one of those bad drivers that never misses a turn, which ticks everyone off, locals and whoever else alike.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 19, 2024, 09:16:30 PMI guess the people calling for this are forgetting that we have cars so we can go faster than horses and buggies. That and not having to leave horse or other animal shit on the streets. Are they seriously trying to bring us back to 19th Century speed limits?
It's not so much as they forgot as they view the proliferation of cars as a mistake which they seek to undo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

NYC has speed cameras that go off when you go 10 mph over, now they can get money from people doing 30.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.