News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

2019-20 Official Minnesota Highway Map

Started by The High Plains Traveler, June 05, 2019, 11:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

The new official Minnesota map is now on MnDOT's web site. Few surprises, but of note are a couple of highway changes that I wasn't already aware of. First, MN-101 on its far south end will finally be turned back to Carver County south of U.S. 212. That will only leave the piece of south 101 between MN-5 and the bend where the highway fully enters Hennepin County (most of this segment runs along the county line).

The second change shows MN-3 being extended north of I-494 over South Robert Street all the way to MN-5 in downtown St. Paul. This was old U.S. 52 before completion of the Lafayette Freeway, and continued to be maintained by MnDOT. It was on the books as TH 952A but was not marked as anything. Now, it will apparently have a posted number.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

MNHighwayMan

The section of 101 between Pioneer Trail and Flying Cloud Drive was still marked as MN-101 as recently as July 2016 (when I was last there). I wonder what MnDOT had to do to get Carver County to take that last two-lane twisty bit.

That MN-3 change is really surprising (if that isn't a map error). I'm rather curious to see if that will actually get marked or not.

froggie

QuoteFirst, MN-101 on its far south end will finally be turned back to Carver County south of U.S. 212

It was signed as CSAH 101 by this past Labor Day.

I've sent MnDOT an email asking clarification on MN 3.

Roadguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 06, 2019, 07:12:00 AM
The section of 101 between Pioneer Trail and Flying Cloud Drive was still marked as MN-101 as recently as July 2016 (when I was last there). I wonder what MnDOT had to do to get Carver County to take that last two-lane twisty bit.

Carver County in the 2018 state bonding bill received $9 million in Local Road Improvement Program dollars to rebuild this stretch of MN 101 which allowed for the turnback of MN 101 from MnDOT to Carver County to occur.  Construction is 2020: https://www.co.carver.mn.us/departments/public-works/projects-studies/highway-101-project-bluff-area

The segment of MN 101 between MN 5 and Hennepin County Road 62 MnDOT would be happy to get rid of it tomorrow if they could do so.  They have tried in the past but when one county is ready to take it on, the other county has not been willing to do so.  At this point, one can guarantee this segment is not going back to Carver/Hennepin counties unless there is a full rebuild of the road that comes with it.

froggie

^ It's Carver County dragging their feet on the section north of Hwy 5.

I also erred earlier:  the section signed as CSAH 101 is the "far southern section" south of old 212/CSAH 61 that goes on the new bridge over the floodplain.  The section north of old 212 up to Pioneer Trail was still signed MN 101.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadguy on June 06, 2019, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 06, 2019, 07:12:00 AM
Carver County in the 2018 state bonding bill received $9 million in Local Road Improvement Program dollars to rebuild this stretch of MN 101 which allowed for the turnback of MN 101 from MnDOT to Carver County to occur.  Construction is 2020: https://www.co.carver.mn.us/departments/public-works/projects-studies/highway-101-project-bluff-area

Very cool. Thanks for the link/info.

For the curious, here's a collection of pictures I took of this segment of 101 back in July 2016 (plus a couple from 2012).

Mdcastle

Robert Street was recently reconstructed without being able to come to a turnback agreement. Might as well give it a real number since the state is likely going to be stuck with it for a long time now.

TheHighwayMan3561

I can confirm MN 3 has been extended. Reassurance shields posted as far north as the Butler Avenue intersection, thus far.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

The High Plains Traveler

It's worth noting that the invisible designation 952A for S. Robert Street suggested that MnDOT would eventually turn back the route, possibly after doing improvements. If the first digit had been 8, it would have been more likely a permanent arrangement. It's only been, what, 20 years since the last part of the Lafayette Freeway was completed and 52 moved onto it?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

DandyDan

Does this mean the paper version is out or will I have to wait for that? I could make a trip to Albert Lea just for that.

Also, will non-Interstate freeways ever get their own color on the MN highway map? That is the one thing I have never liked about it.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on June 06, 2019, 11:35:29 PM
It's worth noting that the invisible designation 952A for S. Robert Street suggested that MnDOT would eventually turn back the route, possibly after doing improvements. If the first digit had been 8, it would have been more likely a permanent arrangement.

In 2014 MnDOT eliminated all of the internal 800-series designations and made them all 900-series numbers. The old section of 101 between US-169 and MN-13 is MN-901B now, for example. I noticed this when MnDOT put out the 2014 edition of the logpoint file.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on June 07, 2019, 06:32:24 AM
Does this mean the paper version is out or will I have to wait for that? I could make a trip to Albert Lea just for that.

Can't say for sure but as of last week when I stopped at Hudson the new paper maps were not out yet, and they're not available on the MN tourism website yet either. The last few cycles I think they've come out around mid-July.

The Ghostbuster

I am still waiting for the 2019-20 Official Wisconsin Highway Map to be released. I hope it comes out soon!

froggie

I got an email from MnDOT confirming that 3 was indeed extended up Robert St:

Quote from: from the emailThe extension of the Minnesota 3 designation into Saint Paul is the result of MnDOT cleaning up its internal recordkeeping to make this section consistent with the rest of the alignment.

Still awaiting clarification on when this change occurred and what the northern terminus is, whether it's 7th St (MN 5) or I-94 (what had been TH 952's terminus).

TheHighwayMan3561

For whatever it's worth, the MN 3 resurfacing/ADA intersection improvement project goes to 94/35E. The map shows it ending at MN 5.

Roadguy

Quote from: froggie on June 06, 2019, 12:05:19 PM
^ It's Carver County dragging their feet on the section north of Hwy 5.

That is true but recently Carver County acknowledged the potential jurisdiction transfer via their 2040 comprehensive plan: https://www.co.carver.mn.us/home/showdocument?id=17982  I've also heard Chanhassen and Eden Prairie recognize the potential transfer as well.  The one major issue is that MnDOT's turnback program has a backlog of projects.

midwesternroadguy

Both the MnDOT mapping office and Minnesota Bookstore said that it would be at least one month before paper copies were available when I called them last week. 

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 07, 2019, 05:00:54 PM
I am still waiting for the 2019-20 Official Wisconsin Highway Map to be released. I hope it comes out soon!
I won't be getting it because Evers will be on it. I will have to wait until at least 2023 to replace the one I already have.

GeekJedi

Quote from: dvferyance on June 12, 2019, 02:02:36 PM
I won't be getting it because Evers will be on it. I will have to wait until at least 2023 to replace the one I already have.

That'll show him. :-D
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

The Ghostbuster

I assume you don't like Tony Evers, dvferyance. Why is that? Did you prefer Scott Walker (I sure as hell didn't). At any rate, I wish all 50 states would put out new state highway maps at the same time.

hotdogPi

Line item veto.

(Do any other governors have the power to veto individual words?)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

GeekJedi

Quote from: 1 on June 13, 2019, 12:15:09 PM

Line item veto.

:clap:
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on June 13, 2019, 04:38:47 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 13, 2019, 12:15:09 PM

Line item veto.

:clap:

Until a state constitution amendment was approved by voters about 20 or so years ago, Wisconsin governors had the power to veto spaces, punctuation marks and individual letters out of words, and then combine any remaining word fragments into new words, often called the 'Vanna White veto'.  The creativity that that allowed was breathtaking at times.

:-o

Mike

hobsini2

Ah yes. As if Scott Walker and his family dressed up at the Harley Museum was any better. SMH. Get over it. Get the map for the information and not for who is on it, DV. I do wish though that they would just drop the Governor's picture from all state maps. Waste of space.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Roadguy

How in the world did Wisconsinites manage to take over a thread about the new Minnesota map and make it political?  :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.