News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AHTD map of Conway

Started by bugo, July 24, 2014, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Why is the US 64/65B duplex black on the Conway inset map on the AHTD official Arkansas highway map?  And why is US 65B from US 64 to I-40 red?  It's been like this for many years now.  Why is a business loop being given precedence over a mainline US highway?  Shouldn't the 64/65B duplex be officially US 64, Section 8 or Section 9? 

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 24, 2014, 08:40:33 AM
Why is the US 64/65B duplex black on the Conway inset map on the AHTD official Arkansas highway map?  And why is US 65B from US 64 to I-40 red?  It's been like this for many years now.  Why is a business loop being given precedence over a mainline US highway?  Shouldn't the 64/65B duplex be officially US 64, Section 8 or Section 9? 

65B is co-signed as TO US 64
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on July 24, 2014, 08:52:11 AM

You're kidding.  How ridiculous and confusing.  AHTD has the worst signage in the country.  They could learn a lesson from their neighbors to the north and west who have excellent overlap signing.

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 24, 2014, 08:56:28 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 24, 2014, 08:52:11 AM

You're kidding.  How ridiculous and confusing.  AHTD has the worst signage in the country.  They could learn a lesson from their neighbors to the north and west who have excellent overlap signing.
Colorado is just as bad, if not worse.

bugo

Yeah but there's legal weed in Colorado so you can forget about the terrible signage.

Scott5114

Anyone who looks at Oklahoma as an example for anything good in signage will be sorely disappointed. Look to the northwest and east instead–Kansas and Tennessee provide a gold standard in signage.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

OK's signs are fine.  At least they (usually) sign all highways in a concurrency.

Scott5114

Oh, yes, they're perfectly fine.

They certainly signed all the highways in this concurrency. Of course, they didn't sign the right highways, or even necessarily highways that even exist, but gosh darn it, they signed all of them, and that's all that matters!

Wait, they left out US-62. Well, can't get everything right, eh!

bugo

I could find pictures of bad signage in your beloved Kansas if I had the time and the gasoline.

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 24, 2014, 08:08:43 PM
I could find pictures of bad signage in your beloved Kansas if I had the time and the gasoline.

agentsteel53

wow!  where is that Iola sign?  that appears to have once been white with black text.  nothing bad about it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 24, 2014, 08:27:44 PM
wow!  where is that Iola sign?  that appears to have once been white with black text.  nothing bad about it.

Fort Scott: old 69/54 split.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on July 24, 2014, 08:08:43 PM
Their signs are beer piss yellow. Enough said.

iPhone

agentsteel53

I wonder how old the Iola sign is.  I remember a CITY US 40 green sign that looked to be ~1963 vintage that is still up in Hays.  but maybe Kansas had different standards for large vs. small signs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

You can find bad signs anywhere. Kansas has problems with freeway signage coming out with lowercase letters 75% of the height they should be, and they can have some dodgy US shield shapes (like the one David shared) and shields with Helvetica sometimes. These are isolated examples, however; on average they turn out pretty nice, usable signage. (AHTD in particular might find KDOT's approach to the I-35/I-435 interchange, with only Interstates on the overhead panels and US routes independently mounted on the gantry legs, as an interesting compromise between fully signing concurrent US routes and not signing them at all.)

In Oklahoma, signs are inconsistent from panel to panel, and there are so many examples of wonky signs that it was just a matter of deciding which one I wanted to post (I went with the 288 one because it was the first one in my photo archive I could think of with a Interstate/US route concurrency). Every state DOT has its quirks, but Oklahoma's quirk is "unrepentant incompetence", so really, if you're going to direct AHTD to look to its neighbors for signage guidance, pretty much every other one of them will be a better example than ODOT.

MoDOT, TDOT, and TxDOT all do a pretty good job at signage. I don't know enough about LaDOTD or MDOT to speak good or ill of them.

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 24, 2014, 10:19:24 PM
I wonder how old the Iola sign is.  I remember a CITY US 40 green sign that looked to be ~1963 vintage that is still up in Hays.  but maybe Kansas had different standards for large vs. small signs.
You can see it was changed at least once.
But that's Apeman 33's home turf, so maybe he'd know.

cjk374

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 24, 2014, 11:59:34 PM
I don't know enough about LaDOTD or MDOT to speak good or ill of them.

I can speak about LaDOTD....they used to be very consistent with their overlap signage, but over the years have started to take lessons from Arkansas.  Just taking a drive down US 167 demonstrates their lack of good signage.

I think Georgia & Alabama both do an EXCELLENT job signing overlaps.   :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

AHTD

Why is the US 64/65B duplex black on the Conway inset map on the AHTD official Arkansas highway map?
Typically US Business or BUS routes are black on the State Highway Map.  This is because we want to identify those as "through town"  routes so that travelers will have an "at a glance"  view of the most efficient way to travel to their destination.  They can choose routes that would detour them around busy city streets or choose to take those routes.  The color scheme is especially handy for the travelers that are carrying heavy loads and want to avoid traveling on a Business route.

And why is US 65B from US 64 to I-40 red?  It's been like this for many years now.  Why is a business loop being given precedence over a mainline US highway?
The US 64/65B intersection is a major traffic generator.  We wanted to make sure that travelers could easily identify the possibilities of exiting and entering this area.  Whether they want to exit from US 64 to continue their travels on Interstate 40 via that portion of US 65BUS or exit from Interstate 40 to continue their travels on US 64 via that portion of US 65BUS.  It is not a matter of precedence, but rather a matter of traffic flow.

Shouldn't the 64/65B duplex be officially US 64, Section 8 or Section 9?
We are constantly reviewing, analyzing and studying many possibilities to improve Arkansas' State Highway System.  Currently, we don't have any plans to change the assigned route names in this area.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bugo

Quote from: AHTD on July 28, 2014, 11:16:40 AM

Why is the US 64/65B duplex black on the Conway inset map on the AHTD official Arkansas highway map?
Typically US Business or BUS routes are black on the State Highway Map.  This is because we want to identify those as "through town"  routes so that travelers will have an "at a glance"  view of the most efficient way to travel to their destination.  They can choose routes that would detour them around busy city streets or choose to take those routes.  The color scheme is especially handy for the travelers that are carrying heavy loads and want to avoid traveling on a Business route.

And why is US 65B from US 64 to I-40 red?  It's been like this for many years now.  Why is a business loop being given precedence over a mainline US highway?
The US 64/65B intersection is a major traffic generator.  We wanted to make sure that travelers could easily identify the possibilities of exiting and entering this area.  Whether they want to exit from US 64 to continue their travels on Interstate 40 via that portion of US 65BUS or exit from Interstate 40 to continue their travels on US 64 via that portion of US 65BUS.  It is not a matter of precedence, but rather a matter of traffic flow.

Shouldn't the 64/65B duplex be officially US 64, Section 8 or Section 9?
We are constantly reviewing, analyzing and studying many possibilities to improve Arkansas' State Highway System.  Currently, we don't have any plans to change the assigned route names in this area.

Shouldn't a mainline US route take precedence over a business route?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.