News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 82

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 12, 2019, 11:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Drove about 7 miles of CA 82 between I-280 in San Francisco south to I-380 in San Bruno on my recent trip to the Bay Area.  Considering the route of CA 82 is over 50 miles from San Francisco south to San Jose it may not sound like much but I did stop to see the north terminus at I-280 on San Jose Avenue.  More importantly the route of CA 82 a former surface alignment of US 101 and the El Camino.  Given the historical significance I included my map references from the previous Hyde Street Pier blog and added to it with the alignment shifts of US 101 south of Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco:

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2019/02/california-state-route-82-on-el-camino.html

My photo album from CA 82 can be found below:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmye8hvP

TheStranger

Nice work!  This is the state route nearest to where I live and one I travel on a very very regular basis (I'm always amused by the Route 82 San Jose/San Francisco sign at Hickey Boulevard's eastern terminus at El Camino - when very few would use the 82 surface route to go to either destination!).

Old Mission Road that is mentioned in your blog post is a very very early alignment of US 101 in South San Francisco that was bypassed in the 1930s; there's one El Camino Real bell on it, and the El Camino High School is located on Old Mission rather than on El Camino.  However, the southernmost 1/4 mile of Old Mission is not the original alignment; the former US 101 alignment crossed Colma Creek right where the road currently bends, then followed Antoinette Lane southwest to Chestnut and then along the right of way of the recently closed South City Car Wash back to the present-day El Camino.
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on February 13, 2019, 03:16:14 AM
Nice work!  This is the state route nearest to where I live and one I travel on a very very regular basis (I'm always amused by the Route 82 San Jose/San Francisco sign at Hickey Boulevard's eastern terminus at El Camino - when very few would use the 82 surface route to go to either destination!).

Old Mission Road that is mentioned in your blog post is a very very early alignment of US 101 in South San Francisco that was bypassed in the 1930s; there's one El Camino Real bell on it, and the El Camino High School is located on Old Mission rather than on El Camino.  However, the southernmost 1/4 mile of Old Mission is not the original alignment; the former US 101 alignment crossed Colma Creek right where the road currently bends, then followed Antoinette Lane southwest to Chestnut and then along the right of way of the recently closed South City Car Wash back to the present-day El Camino.

Thanks, in retrospect I'm glad that I had most of the map research already looked into after I went to Hyde Street Pier.  I kind of half a mind to drive the original alignment of US 101 in its entirety in San Francisco if I have time on Sunday...that's a big "we'll see"  though. 

I saw that on Daniel's 82 page last night before I went to bed, I'll have to add a note regarding Old Mission tonight.  I couldn't fathom trying to slog the entire 50 plus miles between San Francisco and San Jose...maybe one day but it wasn't going to be last weekend.  I missed the bell that was on 82, my photos turned out too blurry to useable. 

Question for you since I'm getting into this Bay Area stuff finally; what happened to all the signage for CA 112, 238 and CA 185?   Did Caltrans just remove it from everything aside from BGSs?

TheStranger

185 seems to still exist in Oakland along International Boulevard but other than one sign in Hayward on Mission Boulevard, doesn't exist in that city anymore.

112 was signed briefly in 2012:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjyAZURN

238 in Hayward was relinquished too, i am not sure how well the route is signed in Fremont/Union City/Newark

-
As for the original 101 routing in SF past Van Ness (Market, Valencia, Mission), taking it southbound isn't too bad despite 15 MPH de facto green light waves on Valencia. Northbound, one hasn't been been able to make a left from Market to northbound Van Ness in years.

SAMSUNG-SM-G930A

Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on February 13, 2019, 11:17:43 AM
185 seems to still exist in Oakland along International Boulevard but other than one sign in Hayward on Mission Boulevard, doesn't exist in that city anymore.

238 in Hayward was relinquished too, i am not sure how well the route is signed in Fremont/Union City/Newark

-
As for the original 101 routing in SF past Van Ness (Market, Valencia, Mission), taking it southbound isn't too bad despite 15 MPH de facto green light waves on Valencia. Northbound, one hasn't been been able to make a left from Market to northbound Van Ness in years.

SAMSUNG-SM-G930A

Good to know, I was wondering about Market Street specially regarding access.  I'm looking at probably coming into the city on the Bay Bridge and swinging around Embarcadero up to Hyde Street Pier in the morning.  I got to thinking it probably is best to try to knock out any road stuff I want early then go goof off the State Parks. 

That's what I speculated regarding the routes in Hayward.  I saw the link to your 112 album on CAhighways, no sign of anything heading west from 185 last week. 

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on February 13, 2019, 11:17:43 AM

As of the week before Christmas 2018, that CA 112 BGS over EB Davis Street is still there.  Coming SB on Doolittle Drive, a trailblazer just before Davis St. indicates that CA 61 turns left (east) there -- but no further CA 61 signage exists between that point and I-880. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.