News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 87

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 16, 2019, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Really I'm not broaching any uncharted territory with CA 87, the route has been incredibly well documented given most of it mid-20th century freeway fare.  While the current route of CA 87 isn't all that exciting the original scope of a freeway skirting over San Francisco Bay between San Jose north to San Francisco is interesting.  Parts of what was to be CA 87 became I-280 in San Francisco and the unbuilt CA 230.  There is still a small portion of CA 87 remained on the books yet not completed between US 101 to CA 237:

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2019/02/california-state-route-87.html

My photo set for CA 87 south can be found here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRHEdbS

TheStranger

So the Route 87 freeway has been named as and signed as "Guadalupe Parkway" for many years (though it is not a parkway in the same sense that the Arroyo Seco Parkway is).

Is the surface street Guadalupe Parkway between Hedding Street and Coleman Avenue a former alignment of 87, or just a post-freeway frontage road of the same name?
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3432894,-121.9010299,3a,75y,330.87h,92.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1wtC2diTIJVP0DSDhdiftQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D1wtC2diTIJVP0DSDhdiftQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D182.42519%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Chris Sampang

DTComposer

The pre-freeway version of Guadalupe Parkway between Coleman and Taylor did hug the east side of the ROW like the frontage road does now, but the current street is all new pavement. The original was removed during the freeway conversion, and the current road was put in around 2000(?).

At Taylor the original road swung a bit to the E - if you pull out of that Street View and look at the property lines you can see a little bit of how the road used to go.

Guadalupe Parkway used to end at Coleman, with ramps from NB Coleman to NB Guadalupe and SB Guadalupe to SB Coleman. The Caltrans maps show a confirmed adopted route for CA-87 to Coleman on the 1963 map, with the portion south of Coleman as unconfirmed.

TheStranger

Thanks for the info DTComposer!

Is the Santa Teresa Street paralleling Route 87 at Coleman Avenue an actual former north extent of Santa Teresa Boulevard (which Route 87 merges into at its south end) or a completely unrelated piece of road?

Crazy to think that 87 is the second-most-recent new build freeway in the region (with Route 4 east of Route 160 being the one newer full freeway project in the Bay Area).
Chris Sampang

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on February 17, 2019, 08:37:15 PM
Is the Santa Teresa Street paralleling Route 87 at Coleman Avenue an actual former north extent of Santa Teresa Boulevard (which Route 87 merges into at its south end) or a completely unrelated piece of road?

Wow, hadn't even seen that little Santa Teresa (Teresita?) Street before.

The southern Santa Teresa is unrelated. The stretch between the end of 87 and Blossom Hill Road was originally part of Pearl Avenue, with jogged west along part of the current Chenowyth and then joined the current Pearl Avenue.

The stretch south of Blossom Hill was cobbled together from several rural roads in the 1960s - I do not think any of them carried the Santa Teresa name.

We can add this to the list of duplicate significant streets in San Jose that have duplicates on smaller unrelated streets elsewhere in town, such as Hicks and Cottle.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.