News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound I-79 Crossover Begins Saturday in Allegheny County

Quote​Pittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is announcing a traffic crossover on northbound Interstate 79 in Kennedy, Robinson, and Neville townships, and Glenfield Borough in Allegheny County will begin Saturday, March 16 weather permitting.

A northbound crossover on I-79 will be implemented at approximately 7 p.m. Saturday to allow crews to begin median widening and roadway reconstruction work. To accommodate this work, the following traffic configuration and restrictions will occur:

The left lane of northbound I-79 will be crossed over into the southbound lanes between the Route 60 Crafton/Moon Run (Exit 60) interchange and the southern end of the Neville Island Bridge. This is the EXPRESS lane. All traffic using this lane will not have access to the Route 51/Coraopolis/McKees Rocks (Exit 64) exit. Northbound express lane traffic will be crossed back over before the Neville Island Bridge.

The right lane of northbound I-79 will remain in place. This is the LOCAL lane. Access to the Route 51/Coraopolis/McKees Rocks (Exit 64) exit must be made from the local lane. Traffic will be shifted slightly onto the shoulder for additional space for the crews to work.

Two lanes of traffic will be maintained on southbound I-79. A barrier will separate the southbound lanes and the crossed over northbound lane.

Emergency pull-off areas will be implemented in various locations through the work zone. Six pull-off areas will be implemented in the southbound lanes, six in the northbound express lane, and seven in the northbound local lane.

The northbound crossover will remain in place continuously through late-November.

To prepare for the crossover, single-lane restrictions will occur on northbound I-79 from 7 p.m. Friday until the crossover is implemented by approximately 7 p.m. Saturday. Additionally, the northbound on and off-ramps at the Route 51/Coraopolis/McKees Rocks (Exit 64) interchange will close to traffic from 7 p.m. Friday continuously through 11 a.m. Sunday, March 17. Ramp traffic will be detoured.

Posted Detour

Northbound I-79 to Route 51/Coraopolis/McKees Rocks (Exit 64)

Head north on I-79 past the closed ramp

Take the Neville Island (Exit 65) exit

Turn left onto Grand Avenue

Continue across the Coraopolis Bridge to Route 51

End Detour

Route 51 to Northbound I-79

From the closed ramp, head northbound on Route 51

Turn right onto the Coraopolis Bridge

Continue along Grand Avenue

Take the ramp to northbound I-79 towards Erie

End Detour

These restrictions will be in place to allow crews to work in preparation for the traffic crossover anticipated for Saturday evening, the crossover could begin earlier if preparatory work is completed sooner.

Northbound I-79 lanes will be reduced to 11-foot widths continuously through mid-November 2024. Southbound I-79 lanes were reduced to 11-foot widths on March 2. Oversized loads will not be permitted through the work zone.

While the crossover is in place, crews will conduct bridge rehabilitation work on the northbound structures over Route 51 and Clever Road in half-widths. This work includes bridge deck replacement, approach slab work, bearing pad and expansion dam replacement, substructure concrete repairs, and downspout upgrades

This work is part of the $43.9 million I-79 "S-Bend" Project that includes full-depth pavement reconstruction, bridge preservation work on five mainline structures (I-79 northbound and southbound over Clever Road, I-79 northbound and southbound over Route 51, and the Neville Island Bridge). Additionally, there will be milling and paving of three ramps at the Route 51 (Coraopolis/McKees Rocks) interchange. The project also includes guiderail replacement, highway lighting and signing upgrades, new pavement markings and delineation, and other miscellaneous construction work.

The prime contractor is Lindy Paving, Inc. Work on this project will be coordinated with other projects in the area.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional X alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 3104 McKees Rocks Bridge Next Phase Begins Monday Night in McKees Rocks

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is announcing the next phase of the Route 3104 McKees Rocks Bridge Preservation project in McKees Rocks Borough, Allegheny County will begin Monday night, March 18 weather permitting.

Starting at 6 p.m. Monday night, the McKees Rocks Bridge will enter the next phase of work. Traffic will continue to utilize a single-lane on the bridge in each direction, however the travel lanes will be switched to the opposite side of the bridge. This new phase will guide both directions of traffic through the eastbound lanes.

The entire traffic switch will not be complete until 7 a.m. Monday, March 25. During this time crews will need to reset temporary barrier and conduct line painting operations, requiring nighttime intermittent traffic stoppages of 15 minutes or less between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. During the stoppages, flaggers will assist motorists through the work zone as needed.

The $38.6 million McKees Rocks Bridge preservation project extends between Route 51 (Island Avenue) and Route 65 (Ohio River Boulevard) and includes sidewalk replacement, sidewalk support steel repairs, sidewalk railing painting, full-depth concrete pavement reconstruction of the road and two ramps at Helen Street, ADA curb ramp installation, approach pavement work at intersections of Routes 65 and 51, barrier replacement and upgrade, deck overhang and spall repair, railroad fencing installation, and other miscellaneous construction. As work occurs, traffic will be reduced to a single lane in each direction. The overall project is anticipated to conclude in the fall of 2025.

The Brayman Construction Corporation and Advantage Steel and Construction, LLC are the prime contractor.

To help keep motorists informed as work progresses, PennDOT has created an email distribution list for the McKees Rocks Bridge preservation including traffic advisories and construction updates. Enroll by sending email addresses to ymanyisha@pa.gov. Please write "Subscribe – McKees Rocks Bridge" in the subject line.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Allegheny, Beaver and Lawrence counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District11.

Information about infrastructure in District 11, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D11Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

Follow PennDOT on Twitter and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

rickmastfan67

Upcoming major projects in WPa.

ARMOURERERIC

Seeing that PennDOT is commencing work on the Parkway East commercial street Bridge this year, is there any indication that it might be wider in median or shoulders than the exsiting bridge?

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 02, 2024, 04:34:57 PMPennDOT - District 11 News: Westbound I-376 Parkway East Anticipated to Close Due to Potential Flooding in Pittsburgh

PennDOT - District 11 News: Southbound I-279 to Eastbound I-376 Interstate Connector Ramp Reopened in Pittsburgh

PennDOT - District 11 News: Westbound I-376 Parkway East Bathtub Area Reopened

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is announcing the "bathtub" area of westbound I-376 (Parkway East) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, has reopened to traffic.

The "bathtub" area of the Parkway East, located between the Grant Street exit and Fort Pitt Bridge, closed to traffic on Wednesday due to flooding. The roadway was reopened at approximately 11.45 a.m. along with the ramp from Grant Street to westbound I-376 and the ramp from the Boulevard of the Allies to westbound I-376.

PennDOT crews pumped the water and cleaned mud and debris from the area once the river receded prior to the roadway reopening.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional X alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

PennDOT - District 11 News: 10th Street Bypass Reopens in Pittsburgh

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT is announcing that the 10th Street Bypass (Route 2128) between Ft. Duquesne Boulevard and the Fort Duquesne Bridge/I-279 in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, has reopened to traffic. The roadway was previously closed due to flooding.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 11 News: 10th Street Bypass Closed Due to Expected Flooding in Pittsburgh

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is advising motorists that the 10th Street Bypass (Route 2128) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, has closed to traffic due to anticipated flooding. 

The 10th Street Bypass closed this morning between I-279 Parkway North/Fort Duquesne Bridge and Fort Duquesne Boulevard due to expected flooding.  Additionally, the ramps from northbound and southbound I-279 to the 10th Street Bypass are closed.

All traffic will be detoured.  Motorists should use Fort Duquesne Boulevard to detour around the closure.  Motorists on I-279 should use the ramps to Fort Duquesne Boulevard.

PennDOT - District 11 News: Westbound I-376 Parkway East to Close Due to Potential Flooding in Pittsburgh

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is advising motorists that the "Bathtub" area of westbound I-376 (Parkway East) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, will close due to expected flooding today, Friday, April 12.

The "Bathtub" area of westbound I-376 (Parkway East) is anticipated to close to traffic at approximately 12 p.m. Friday. In the event of faster rising levels of water, the corridor will close to traffic earlier. All traffic approaching this section of I-376, located between Grant Street and the Fort Pitt Bridge, will be detoured.

Posted Detour

From westbound I-376, traffic will take the Grant Street (Exit 71A) off-ramp

Turn left onto Fort Pitt Boulevard

Bear left onto the westbound I-376 ramp toward Fort Pitt Bridge/Airport

End detour

In addition to westbound I-376, the following ramps will close to traffic:

Ramp from Grant Street to westbound I-376

Ramp from Fifth Avenue/Boulevard of the Allies to west near Oakland

Access from Point State Park to eastbound I-376

Ramp from Stanwix Street to eastbound I-376

Ramp from Market Street to eastbound I-376

Ramp from Wood Street to eastbound I-376

Additionally, the ramp carrying traffic from the Fort Duquesne Bridge on southbound I-279 to eastbound I-376, commonly referred to as the "Interstate Connector", will also close at approximately 12 p.m. Friday.

Traffic will be detoured.

Posted Detour

Take southbound I-279 to the Fort Pitt Bridge/westbound I-376

Continue through the Fort Pitt Tunnel

Take the Banksville Road/Route 19 (Exit 69A) exit

Keep left and loop back to eastbound I-376, following signs for Uniontown/Route51

Stay in the right-hand lane and follow signs to eastbound I-376/Monroeville

End detour

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 12, 2024, 10:19:26 AMPennDOT - District 11 News: Westbound I-376 Parkway East to Close Due to Potential Flooding in Pittsburgh

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is advising motorists that the "Bathtub" area of westbound I-376 (Parkway East) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, will close due to expected flooding today, Friday, April 12.

The "Bathtub" area of westbound I-376 (Parkway East) is anticipated to close to traffic at approximately 12 p.m. Friday. In the event of faster rising levels of water, the corridor will close to traffic earlier. All traffic approaching this section of I-376, located between Grant Street and the Fort Pitt Bridge, will be detoured.

Posted Detour

From westbound I-376, traffic will take the Grant Street (Exit 71A) off-ramp

Turn left onto Fort Pitt Boulevard

Bear left onto the westbound I-376 ramp toward Fort Pitt Bridge/Airport

End detour

In addition to westbound I-376, the following ramps will close to traffic:

Ramp from Grant Street to westbound I-376

Ramp from Fifth Avenue/Boulevard of the Allies to west near Oakland

Access from Point State Park to eastbound I-376

Ramp from Stanwix Street to eastbound I-376

Ramp from Market Street to eastbound I-376

Ramp from Wood Street to eastbound I-376

Additionally, the ramp carrying traffic from the Fort Duquesne Bridge on southbound I-279 to eastbound I-376, commonly referred to as the "Interstate Connector", will also close at approximately 12 p.m. Friday.

Traffic will be detoured.

Posted Detour

Take southbound I-279 to the Fort Pitt Bridge/westbound I-376

Take the Banksville Road/Route 19 (Exit 69A) exit

Keep left and loop back to eastbound I-376, following signs for Uniontown/Route51

Stay in the right-hand lane and follow signs to eastbound I-376/Monroeville

End detour

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 11 News: Westbound I-376 Parkway East Bathtub Area Reopened

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is announcing the "bathtub" area of westbound I-376 (Parkway East) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, has reopened to traffic.

The "bathtub" area of the Parkway East, located between the Grant Street exit and Fort Pitt Bridge, closed to traffic on Friday due to flooding. The roadway was reopened at approximately 8:15 p.m. along with the ramp from Grant Street to westbound I-376 and the ramp from the Boulevard of the Allies to westbound I-376.

PennDOT crews pumped the water and cleaned mud and debris from the area once the river receded prior to the roadway reopening.

Additionally, the ramp from southbound I-279 to eastbound I-376, commonly referred to as the Interstate Connector, has reopened to traffic.

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 11 News: 10th Street Bypass Reopens in Pittsburgh

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT is announcing that the 10th Street Bypass (Route 2128) between Ft. Duquesne Boulevard and the Fort Duquesne Bridge/I-279 in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, has reopened to traffic. The roadway was previously closed due to flooding.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.