Culver’s is Coming Soon to our Area!

Started by kevinb1994, March 02, 2019, 04:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

I can't remember if I've had Whataburger or Fatburger, but whichever it was, it was underwhelming.

I remember when there were three Five Guys locations, all in Northern Virginia.  Five Guys is one of the incredibly rare examples of a restaurant undergoing rapid expansion and not going under as a result. 

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on March 05, 2019, 12:42:22 PM
And maybe my lone Whataburger experience was bad, but I don't see the big deal about it, either.

Most overrated restaurant chain around, IMHO.  Their burgers are fine, nothing exceptional, but their fries are pathetic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2019, 02:27:51 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 05, 2019, 12:42:22 PM
And maybe my lone Whataburger experience was bad, but I don't see the big deal about it, either.

Most overrated restaurant chain around, IMHO.  Their burgers are fine, nothing exceptional, but their fries are pathetic.

The patty melt is pretty good...there isn't really anything comparable from the major fast food chains, but you'd better like onions. So for me, there's at least something worth picking them over another nearby burger chain.

After that, I haven't found anything else from Whataburger that knocks my socks off. The burgers aren't bad, but they're also not "special".

TheHighwayMan3561

When I was in Texas I tried all three of Whataburger, In n Out, and Jack. As blasphemous as some would feel, I liked Jack the best of the three. And it wasn't that amazing.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 05, 2019, 03:59:03 PM
When I was in Texas I tried all three of Whataburger, In n Out, and Jack. As blasphemous as some would feel, I liked Jack the best of the three. And it wasn't that amazing.

I get Jack's and Jack In The Box confused. I know I've tried one of them, maybe both, but can't keep them separate in my mind.

EDIT: I know I've had Jack In The Box, in Lebanon, Tenn. It's Jack's that I cant remember for certain if I've tried.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

About 22 years ago, Jack in the Box had good fries after it had to save face from its e coli disaster.  Last time I went there, they sucked.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2019, 05:07:59 PM
About 22 years ago, Jack in the Box had good fries after it had to save face from its e coli disaster.  Last time I went there, they sucked.
I've had their dinner and breakfast and both were pretty underwhelming.

abefroman329

The only West Coast chain I'd like to be able to eat at frequently, other than In-n-Out, is Del Taco.

When I travel to our SLC office next month, I'll have both nearby, along with Zaxby's.

Rothman

Locals call Del Taco "Hell Taco."  Haven't eaten there myself, though...probably because there are so many better Mexican places in the Valley.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

nexus73

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 05, 2019, 03:59:03 PM
When I was in Texas I tried all three of Whataburger, In n Out, and Jack. As blasphemous as some would feel, I liked Jack the best of the three. And it wasn’t that amazing.

My one time trying Whataburger revealed the burger was not that tasty nor were the employees there that swift.

Jack In The Box back in the mid 70's had a Jack Steak sandwich.  Now that was some good eatin'!  In the decade of the 00's my stepson wanted to eat there.  We did.  What a terrible burger, almost inedible.

In-N-Out has the best value for price and a decent burger.  I also enjoy their vanilla shakes and will get one of those plus a cold drink, with the shake being enjoyed with the meal and the cold drink coming along for the ride. 

Honorable mention: Wendy's 4 for $4 is the best fast food major chain deal out there.  They also have a $5 deal in which you get a double burger with cheese and bacon to go with the fries, four chicken nuggets, cold drink and your choice of a dipping sauce.  Their applewood bacon is quite tasty!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2019, 05:48:14 PM
Locals call Del Taco "Hell Taco."  Haven't eaten there myself, though...probably because there are so many better Mexican places in the Valley.
I ate at one once thinking it was going to be good. To sum it up it's just like a Taco Bell.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

I like Whataburger's food. They get bonus points for being 24 hours and serving the full menu the entire time–good ways to end up in a spot in my rotation.

The problem that I have with them is that they only have one location in a city of 123,000 people, so it's slammed at all hours of the day and night. I've had to wait in line for 30 minutes at 1am. Definitely not worth the rat race to get a burger there, however tasty it is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on March 05, 2019, 04:45:22 PMIt's Jack's that I cant remember for certain if I've tried.

I think they're only found in Alabama...it wouldn't surprise me if Jack-in-the-Box won't compete there* due to very similar names. Or that they don't want to be part of that market. Food is okay; burgers are grilled, fries are a little on the soft side. Stores are usually a bit messy. There's a few interesting items on the menu; porkchop biscuits and grits can be found in the mornings.

JITB has more lunch variety, but the quality of the fries is either awesome or awful, depending on how fresh it is. Some of the indoor locations are very cramped.

* Neither are found in Georgia and Florida, and Jack-in-the-Box has thin coverage in Tennessee, so also there's that.

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on March 06, 2019, 01:22:16 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 05, 2019, 10:06:54 PM
To sum it up it's just like way better than Taco Bell.
FTFY
I don't agree with that. Both Del Taco and Taco Bell suck.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 05, 2019, 05:31:02 PM
The only West Coast chain I'd like to be able to eat at frequently, other than In-n-Out, is Del Taco.

When I travel to our SLC office next month, I'll have both nearby, along with Zaxby's.
Zaxby's opened a location here a few months ago. I still haven't been there yet because every time I drive by it it's always either extremely crowded or closed.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2019, 06:27:34 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 05, 2019, 04:45:22 PMIt's Jack's that I cant remember for certain if I've tried.

I think they're only found in Alabama...it wouldn't surprise me if Jack-in-the-Box won't compete there* due to very similar names. Or that they don't want to be part of that market. Food is okay; burgers are grilled, fries are a little on the soft side. Stores are usually a bit messy. There's a few interesting items on the menu; porkchop biscuits and grits can be found in the mornings.

JITB has more lunch variety, but the quality of the fries is either awesome or awful, depending on how fresh it is. Some of the indoor locations are very cramped.

* Neither are found in Georgia and Florida, and Jack-in-the-Box has thin coverage in Tennessee, so also there's that.

I checked the Jack's website. They start showing up south of Nashville. I still can't remember if I've eaten at one.

First Zaxby's I ever saw was in Franklin, NC. I didn't eat there then. They've since expanded tremendously into Kentucky, but Raising Cane's was here first. Can't tell much difference in the chicken between the two. The difference is apparently in the store-specific sauce, which I don't eat as i prefer BBQ sauce. Zaxby's fries are seasoned a bit and their toast is plain, while Cane's fries are plain but the toast is garlic toast.

Agreed on the Wendy's deal. If I want a small but cheap meal, I will go with that 4 for $4 combo with the Double Stack. The $5 double JBC deal they have now is good as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on March 06, 2019, 10:47:25 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 05, 2019, 05:31:02 PM

Zaxby's opened a location here a few months ago. I still haven't been there yet because every time I drive by it it's always either extremely crowded or closed.
Definitely go when the crowd dies down.  It's delicious, better than Raising Cane's.

txstateends

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 06, 2019, 04:36:55 AM
I like Whataburger's food. They get bonus points for being 24 hours and serving the full menu the entire time–good ways to end up in a spot in my rotation.

The Whataburger by you has breakfast all the time?  All the ones in north TX don't.  You can get the non-breakfast stuff all the time, but not the taquitos/sausage biscuits/etc.  I do like the ones where you can go into during late hours, instead of just drive-thru. 

As for the topic, one of these days when I have a way to get to one, I guess I'll have to try one of the Culver's here to see if I like it or not.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

MantyMadTown

The problem that I have with them is that they only have one location in a city of 123,000 people, so it's slammed at all hours of the day and night. I've had to wait in line for 30 minutes at 1am. Definitely not worth the rat race to get a burger there, however tasty it is.

There's really only one Whataburger in your city? They really ought to open more given how busy yours is.
Forget the I-41 haters

MantyMadTown

I guess Culver's is like Waffle House now; they have plenty of locations outside their home region but not enough to make it "national".
Forget the I-41 haters

Flint1979

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 06, 2019, 05:22:53 PM

There's really only one Whataburger in your city? They really ought to open more given how busy yours is.
If he's talking about the Norman, OK location there is one about 8 miles away from that location in Moore.

wriddle082

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2019, 07:08:44 AM
FTFY

Taco Bell is ok.  Not enough experience with Del Taco (Columbia, SC does have one), but they were ok.

Now Taco Bueno!  That's the good one!  Ate there a lot when I spent a month working in Olathe, KS back in 2016.  I think they're mainly along the I-35 corridor from KC all the way down to TX.  They need to expand further east!

Back when Taco Bell used the chihuahua as their spokes-mascot, Taco Bueno used a "fist puppet"  with stick-on eyes and a drawn-on curly mustache.  Was hillarious!

txstateends

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 06, 2019, 07:58:52 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2019, 07:08:44 AM
FTFY

Taco Bell is ok.  Not enough experience with Del Taco (Columbia, SC does have one), but they were ok.

Now Taco Bueno!  That's the good one!  Ate there a lot when I spent a month working in Olathe, KS back in 2016.  I think they're mainly along the I-35 corridor from KC all the way down to TX.  They need to expand further east!

Back when Taco Bell used the chihuahua as their spokes-mascot, Taco Bueno used a "fist puppet"  with stick-on eyes and a drawn-on curly mustache.  Was hillarious!

IDK, you might get your wish.  The head of Taco Bueno did a radio interview in Dallas a while back.  He'd just been on Undercover Boss and the company was contacted like crazy about potential franchising opportunities, even from parts of the country there weren't stores or places the company wasn't thinking they be interested in.  I'm not sure where that led.

Del Taco had locations in north TX *twice*.  Both times (mid-1980s, then, recent few years), they were here just long enough to get people interested, and then it was decided to pull out of TX, >friggin' teases!<  Very sad.  I liked them.  Oh well.  There's still Taco Bueno, Taco Cabana, and the next time I'm in the panhandle, Taco Villa.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.